Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO Rear valance issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO Rear valance issues

I always hear of everyone needing this part. Unfortunately I am one of those people. I have already purchased the worlds most expensive piece of plastic, but I am needing the mounting hardware. Anyone got a schematic or part number or even a link where I can buy the clips to mount this thing? I really never want to have to buy it again, so I want the best possible way to mount it, even if it means something aftermarket. I want to get it mounted back on soon because I am too embarrased to take the GTO out without the valance on. I'm ready to get it back out on the street.

On a side note, mine came off by going 130 MPH and I guess the wind ripped it right off. Is this also how everyone else is losing theirs? Just curious and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Bolts, washers and nylock nuts plus a couple zip ties.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

I used metal bolts/nuts/washers. Skip the OEM plastic ones entirely as they will all fail given enough time.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

The bolts/nuts/washers idea sounds like the best option. Looks Like I'll be making a hardware store trip soon! Thanks guys!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm makes me wonder if its worth pulling and replacing to make sure this doesnt happen to me.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrob56
Hmm makes me wonder if its worth pulling and replacing to make sure this doesnt happen to me.
I added a couple zip ties to mine before I put the bolts/nuts in. Those will hold on a lot better than the plastic hardware.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Any pics of the zip ties on where they was used and how , also what size bolts and washers ?
Old 03-24-2014, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

I just finished putting everything back together. I used 1/4-20 stainless bolts , washers, and nylock nuts. The bolts were 3/4" long. I removed the rear bumper and installed it offline and then re installed the bumper with the valance attached to it. I couldnt see using any zip ties anywhere because after tightening down the nuts and bolts the only way the valance is coming off is with the entire rear bumper, and if that happens, I have a bigger problem than a valance. I feel waaaay more comfortable having it installed this way. Also, there is no way in hell anyone can come steal it either! After having to foot the bill for it, I would reccommend everyone go out and change out the hardware. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jrob56
The problem is the plastic retainers will fail one by one until bumper goes bye bye. When I replaced with metal bolts/washers/nuts, 3 of 6 plastic retainers were already gone.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Default Lost valance

Originally Posted by SouthernSilverSpeed
I always hear of everyone needing this part. Unfortunately I am one of those people. I have already purchased the worlds most expensive piece of plastic, but I am needing the mounting hardware. Anyone got a schematic or part number or even a link where I can buy the clips to mount this thing? I really never want to have to buy it again, so I want the best possible way to mount it, even if it means something aftermarket. I want to get it mounted back on soon because I am too embarrased to take the GTO out without the valance on. I'm ready to get it back out on the street.

On a side note, mine came off by going 130 MPH and I guess the wind ripped it right off. Is this also how everyone else is losing theirs? Just curious and any help would be greatly appreciated.
I was in Texas between San Antonio and Dallas at night doing 150 and lost mine. I also lost my transmission but that's another story.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A lot of guys will remove the tow brace and leave the fairing loose. As it moves around, it eventually cuts through the plastic hardware and can fall off. Back in the day, I made billet aluminum kits to fasten the parts securely. Everyone should take a peek at this area, in addition to the other part.

Quick Reply: GTO Rear valance issues