Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Warranties and engine upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranties and engine upgrades

I just bought a GTO and was thinking about installing some headers and maybe a supercharger. Will this void my warranty? Thanks for any help!
Old 09-13-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Check with your local dealer. Or whoever you take your car too for repairs and whatnot. Headers didnt void my warranty, but a supercharger would void mine. Just check with them first.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

See if your dealer can install the Magnacharger.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Teching In

yeah.....I called them and they told me that, they'd only install one if the car came with it.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nicster
I just bought a GTO and was thinking about installing some headers and maybe a supercharger. Will this void my warranty? Thanks for any help!
As said, headers and other exhaust swapping won't void the warranty on the car, only the components effected by the new parts, O2 sensors, cats, etc...

A supercharger is out of the question for warranty, unless Pontiac issues it as an aftermarket add-on with a warranty when installed by them.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:51 PM
blownerator

Magna Charger offers a 3/36 warranty on the powertrail. www.magnacharger.com for more info.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Magna Charger offers a 3/36 warranty on the powertrail. www.magnacharger.com for more info.
No one can void your warranty at all!!! They can only refuse to service parts that are most likely to be affected by your add on. So if you added a Supercharger and the Tranny blew up then they can refuse to repair the tranny under warranty. The only way to get them to repair the tranny at that point is to go to the regional manager and get his/her aproval for the repair (if GM isn't paying for it then the dealer won't fix it). If your still denied repair work then you can get a lawyer. Overall if your add-on caused something to break, then your the cause, and not a defect thus your warranty will not cover that part anymore. You will always have a warranty no matter what you do. If your paint is defective and you have a supercharger on it they will still fix the paint under warranty, obviously the supercharger didn't make the paint defective.
This is all covered under the magnason-moss warranty act.

SEMA Warranty Coverage Infomation
Old 09-17-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

From what I've heard, the Magnacharger usually doesn't void the warranty.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lets all remember, the dealers will do whatever they can the refuse service. I would imagine that ANYTHING that boosts compression over stock numbers is definately going to void warranty. You can count on that.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

Question I'm going to wake up this thread!

I installed headers with no cats. What is a dealer going to say about a warranty void? Say I am having problems in the tranny department - will the dealer refuse to work on my car because it is not legal without cats? I've read on here that most don't get voided with headers, but aren't headers illegal too?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a Ford dealership a few years ago try to void the warranty on a defective tranny because I had a full O/R exhaust on my stang....their reasoning was that the added horsepower caused the tranny to fail. I called their BS and took it to the next level....needless to say I had a new tranny in the car shortly thereafter.
The only way a warranty can be voided is if the part broken was directly affected by a modification you made. IE they may try to void your warranty on the tranny if you put a stronger than stock clutch or a short throw "handle" not whole shifter which may have allowed you to bend shift forks. The link posted above is a very good referance tool when considering aftermarket parts.

Quick Reply: Warranties and engine upgrades