Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Ripshift

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 01:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ripshift

Just installed the ripshift shifter that Speed Inc. is selling. It totally changed the way the car drives, the throws are very short and precise. Shifiting feels like hitting a small ball peen hammer on a table. Now the biggest differance is 2-3rd. when you go for 3rd gear the springing in the shifter basically carrys you to 3rd and only over a 1 inch area vs. 4 inchs of needed movement for stock gummy shifter

Speed Inc. is actually running a GP on the shifter, I just had to have it ASAP.

Fraser
Old 11-15-2004, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds sweet! That was my biggest and only real complaint about the '04 GTO I had!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

As I understand it, Hurst and B&M both have GTO shifters in the works also. No telling when either part will hit the street but the price i've seen on both is even more reasonable than the Ripshift. (Not that it isnt worth it though.)
Old 11-15-2004, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

If I ever manage to take delivery of my car, I'll post a review of the prototype Hurst shifter that's on it.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rhino74
If I ever manage to take delivery of my car, I'll post a review of the prototype Hurst shifter that's on it.
Exactly how did you pull that off?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

I bought the car from Stainless Works in Cleveland, where the shop had volunteered the car for testing the prototype beta shifter for Hurst. I'm getting a certificate authenticating that the shifter is the first developed.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Very cool... I assume you'll be posting your thoughts on the shifter once you get it?
Old 11-19-2004, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CSiJason
Very cool... I assume you'll be posting your thoughts on the shifter once you get it?
I've been unable to get an exact delivery date set, but in early December I should be driving the GTO from Cleveland back to NYC, which will give me a nice 8 hours or so to learn all the nuances of the car, which I will summarize on the board when I get back. I do know the Hurst shifter deosn't just "quick fix", but removes the entire apparatus related to the 1-4 shift.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Yea, i've heard feedback on a 'beta' version of the Hurst shifter for the GTO and it was pretty good so far. I'd no doubt like to hear more feedback on it but the good news is, B&M, Hurst and the ever popular Ripshift are all looking to be good picks for my GTO come next spring.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Teching In

I am taking deliver of my 2004 GTO M6 next week. What is the cost of the rip shifter and is this something a mere mortal caninstall or do I need a pro for this? Also any negatives to this swap?

James
Kernersville, NC
2004 GTO M6 Silver on black Leather, Stock excpet for Electric sunroof installed.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Banned

I didnt like the feel of a Hurst prototype but thats just me. The ripshift is the only race inspired solid shifter for the GTO. Its not that hard to install, its just much easier if you have a lift. You have to get to some bolts that are under the trans tunnel of the body and its just really hard to reach around in there. No real negatives, no rattling, road noise is the same. Check out the sales/GP section of www.ls1gto.com
Old 12-27-2004, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Default My Hurst Shifter Prototype Review

As promised, here is my review of the Hirst prototype shifter:

I finally got the GTO I "bought" this October and drove it off the dyno (375rwhp) in Cleveland, Ohio all the way to Fairifax, Virginia for the Holidays and then back home, up to Stamford, CT. I had plenty of time to form an impression of the car, the mods and the Hurst shifter.

I've had shift kits on several cars, a Honda Civic and Prelude, and a Toyota MR2 and this was not one of the more enjoyable kits I have experienced. This being said, there were some nice pints to mention, the 1-4 skip is eliminated and the shifter has a ball ****, which I happen to like, and of course, the shift distance is shortened, a joy for those of us who enjoy that kind of thing.

Unfortunately the downsides are numerous. The shifter requires a fair amount of brute strength to operate, doesn't feel smooth, is less than sexy in styling, features a tall (compared to what I like) shift handle, actually squeaks when operated in and out of 2nd and 4th gear and slips out of 4th gear from time to time.

At first the shifts didn't feel good and I had a little trouble quick shifting but once I got used to using it, I was able to become somewhat comfortable with it, to the point where I was albe to get past most of my grievances and plan on keeping it for now, but my impression falls far short of an all out endorsement.

I should note that this is a prototype kit from what I understand, and future kits may feature improvements over some or all of the faults that I found with it, but in the version I have, it rated about a C-.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Now to hear what people have to say about the B&M vs Ripshift.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Does anyone have any pics of these aftermarket shifters installed? I did a search and could only find a pic of the one from down under... and dumb question, but any way I can reuse the boot and or handle from stock? Thanks

Quick Reply: Ripshift