Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO Vs 97-03 GTP Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTO Vs 97-03 GTP Question

Alright guys here it is.

I have an 01 Ws6 with some mild mods, but I don't drive it 6 months out of the year (chicago weather)

So last year I bought a 97 GTP with 59,000 miles. Bone stock. I added a few things to it.

3.4 Pulley
3 Inch Downpipe
Plugs
Wires
Intake
Custom Tune

My car I'm assuming is a low 14, high 13 second car. I have not brought it to the track yet, but I have beat my fair share of 99-04 GT's (5speed and auto)

Here is my question. Obviously I am a huge pontiac fan. I love the GTO. I like the look, and love the ls1/ls2. I know stock these things have crazy *** Torque Management issues which will slow them down, but the 2 times I brought my Ws6 to the track, I have yet to see both 04, and 05 GTO's hit a 13 second pass. Best I've seen from both years stock, with good drivers hitting a 2.1 60ft was 14.1.

Hands down if I could afford a GTO for a second car, I would be all over it, but I can't so i make the best I can with my GTP.

But a guy yesterday with a Bright Blue 05 GTO, would not race me in my GTP. I wasn't trying to take anything away from the guy, i just wanted to see how quick my car is against one. He was telling me that I am not worth his time and that he has 400HP. He was being a jerk about it, i just wanted a fun race.

So I just wanted to get this story out about the jerk in the GTO, and how much time is picked up from a tune on these cars with Torque management removed and other small mods?

Last edited by itlnrob; 11-06-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

With simply a good tune at sea level, they should easily run VERY low 13's... your GTP with those mods should be in the 14's but not sure quite where - I'd guess mid since I was just at the track with a bunch of modded out GTPs last night with even more mods but at a 3000+ DA. He was a dick about it but the GTP's at a serious disadvantage with FWD (no limited slip diff to make it even worse) and a lot less power. However, GTPs can be modded to run well into the 12's and 11's while still keeping them streetable.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:49 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I had a GTP and have seen some of the heavily modded rides fly down the track. If you really want to see and hear about what they can do, go to http://www.clubgp.com and just browse the forums.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I am a member of clubgp.com. I know with decent 60ft (2.0) I can probaly hit 13.9. I don't see it being an issue since I got some meaty nitto's.

It is crazy how much GM is tuning down these newer cars. Kinda makes ya wonder why they are putting in these big engines, but not letting them run to their potential. MY car had a decent amount of torque management and once I got my tuner the car was completly different.

So once the GTO gets a tune it can just about drop a second in the 1/4? That is unlocking some major HP.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:08 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think most of the bad times in the GTO is from bad drivers. Most GTO owners either haven't ever had a car with any performance, or it's been decades since they last drove one. Sell the GTP, get a GTO and get some Blizzaks for the winter.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I think most of the bad times in the GTO is from bad drivers. Most GTO owners either haven't ever had a car with any performance, or it's been decades since they last drove one. Sell the GTP, get a GTO and get some Blizzaks for the winter.
Can't afford to man. Its hard enough keepin my Ws6 in the garage for half the year. One guy at the track with the 05' that hit a 14.1.....his previous car was a 99 Ws6 and even had his plates from his TA on his GTO. I think it was NV MY WS6 or something like that.

Oh well, GTO is definetly nice than a grand prix, and that wasn't my point. I Just wanted to know how close my modded prix would be against a stock GTO. That is all.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

I hit a 13.8 in my '04 with a 2.0 60' and some shitty driving.

They are quick cars in the right hands.

Mine is for sale
Old 11-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Never knew there was 01-02 GTO's. . They take getting used to, the A4's are easy to drag race with, throw it in 3 and go. Manuals take some practice though, I know
Old 11-06-2005, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fat Nick
Never knew there was 01-02 GTO's. . They take getting used to, the A4's are easy to drag race with, throw it in 3 and go. Manuals take some practice though, I know

hehe yes i corrected that........was thinkin of my TA hehe
Old 11-06-2005, 08:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm on my 3rd GTO... had a M6 '04, A4 '04, and now A4 '05. I've also had a '02 WS6 and currently have a '02 GTP and H/C LS1 in my '91 T/A. After saying all of that, there is no way that GTP would keep up with that LS2 Goat. I used to try and race my wife... me in my stock GTP and her in the stock '04 GTO and I could scare her a little but she could still walk me. Even with your mods, I'd still say that '05 LS2 Goat would walk your GTP. Not talking bad about your car, just saying from my experiences with all my cars. GTP, GTO, WS6, GTA, I love them all... I'm a huge Poncho fan as well.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:04 PM
9 Second Club

Also, as for the bad track times you've seen... I took my '04 M6 GTO to the track a few times (and I'm a pretty good stick driver) but man these GTO's are hard to launch on the IRS with narrow 245 tires. I didn't want to slip my clutch on take off so that hurt me too but I did coast through the lights to a couple 14.0's and 14.1's with shitty 60's and losing traction BADLY on the powershifts. With drag radials there's no doubt my old M6 '04 would've gone low 13's.... I'm hoping for high 12's with our A4 '05... tune, drag radials and maybe a CAI should get it there. We'll see...
Old 11-06-2005, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GTA91
I used to try and race my wife... me in my stock GTP and her in the stock '04 GTO and I could scare her a little but she could still walk me. Even with your mods, I'd still say that '05 LS2 Goat would walk your GTP. Not talking bad about your car, just saying from my experiences with all my cars. GTP, GTO, WS6, GTA, I love them all... I'm a huge Poncho fan as well.
Stock GTP's are nice rides, but with a Supercharger on there, they really wake up with some mods.

You won't believe the gains from a smaller pulley, intake, chip, and downpipe.

3.4" pulley = 25Hp
Intake=10hp
Chip= 15-20hp
Downpipe/Ubend delete = 10hp

Those mods really wake up the 3.8 SC

I'm not saying my GTP would beat a GTO, but I think it would be a good race versus a bone stock GTO.

Ps.........PONTIACS 4 LIFE
Old 11-07-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

I traded my 2000 GTP with RT dp, Intense tuning, Wizaired intake, and GMPP catback for my 05 GTO. I never swapped the pulley since it was all I could do to avoid KR with the mods I had. IMO, there is no comparison between the two cars - in performance or otherwise.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
I traded my 2000 GTP with RT dp, Intense tuning, Wizaired intake, and GMPP catback for my 05 GTO. I never swapped the pulley since it was all I could do to avoid KR with the mods I had. IMO, there is no comparison between the two cars - in performance or otherwise.
The pulley does bring in some big horse and power. You obviously can't compare a car that has 400hp to one that has around 300hp. Of course the GTO is all around a nicer car. It is newer, and just has the v8 power behind it.

As restrictive as the 05 GTO's PCM is with torque management I am saying it would be a close race. As soon as the GTO does some mods, I know its game over for sure. Most people around here with GTO's don't mod them out but I know they do have some. I'm just looking for a friendly race. My GTP isn't my race car. I have a Ws6 which has enough power for me, but unfortunetly it is in storage till March.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:12 PM
9 Second Club

I know they wake up nicely with mods, but I'm telling you... just go drive a '05 Goat and judge for yourself... no comparison. Hell, there wasn't much of a comparison between our '04 and '05 GTO A4's... You might scare a '04 or '05 GTO with your modded GTP but they're gonna walk you pretty bad after 1st gear or so.

PONTIACS 4 LIFE... HELL YEAH!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by itlnrob
As restrictive as the 05 GTO's PCM is with torque management I am saying it would be a close race. As soon as the GTO does some mods, I know its game over for sure. Most people around here with GTO's don't mod them out but I know they do have some. I'm just looking for a friendly race.
I don't know, man, I don't think its a very close race, but we could speculate all day long about that. Only one way to find out for real...
Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Personaly, my best was a 13.3 but it's got more in it if I was running DR's instead of street rubber. A local guy with an 04 on DR's and a custom exhaust runs 12.9's in good air. (otherwise stock) It's all about getting off the line clean and fast.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

i appreciate everyones comments. I didn't want to strike a controversy or fight. I love GTO's and almost traded in my Ws6 for one.

Just wanted to get some different opinions.

Yayyyyyyyyy for Pontiac's

YAyyyyyyyyyyy for ls1/ls2

Quick Reply: GTO Vs 97-03 GTP Question