Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Everyone seems to hate us.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
I really enjoyed a recent argument I had here with FRMRGM. You are just typing away like a rabid dog.
yeah, ditto. I thought we had finally found that happy place where people were agreeing to disagree, and respecting others opinions guess not everybody was on board w/ that... back to the drawing board...
Old 01-09-2006, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the most intelligent statement I've ever read on a message board! I hope some people actually take it to heart and think for once! Imagine what would happen if just 10% of the world took their head of of their *** and lived by this?

All Im saying is that people need to realize that everybody has their own opinion on things, and no matter how much you think yours is right, the next guy thinks his is too, so dont state your opinion as if its been handed down from God, because, you know, its not... This is the same reason I cant understand why people have to bash what others like for no reason, especially when the cars are of the same company.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

I hate all of you GTO, I mean holden driving Bastards
Old 01-09-2006, 06:17 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2edybrd
The other argument about the F-Bodies being faster is one I have to laugh at as well. I bought my '99 Trans Am at the end of the '98 production run, and I raced it for the next 5 years. mid 13's upto around 14 in the quarter are common for an F-Body with some good drivers getting low thirteens. I'm sure you'll call bs but this is what I've seen and run myself. Before I got rid of the TA, I had an SY3500, Random tech Y, Corsa catback, Lid, Maf, LS-6 intake, and a TR throttle body. The car ran 12.9 at 107.5 with a 1.89 60' on street tires. That's also what other F-Bodies ran with similar mods.
Dude you suck at driving. My first time ever drag racing I got my trans am to run 13.0 with just a lid, FLOWMASTER, hooker long tubes, and ORY on street tires. Its also an A4.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
that's more than the GTO is now and people keep calling it overpriced....
Ya, I know, I was trying to talk sticker price rather than Red Tag or rebates. My point is that I'm betting a Camaro that looks like that picture will cost more than that.

I'll say it again...find me a 400 hp V8 RWD coupe with an available 6-speed for less than the GTO.
Precisely, my friend!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Different combos get different results LS1Speed. I think it's interesting that I had the stock exhaust manifolds and I was e.t.'ing and trapping right where you are now with a full exhaust...

Last edited by 2edybrd; 01-09-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

honestly i think the camaro ss looks better than the gto side by side, and as far as the gto being built better, it better be, being that it's not really a mass production vehicle, the f-bodies where a mass production vehicle and it was just slapped together and thrown out to the public, but the gto cant really be compared to the f-body, 'cause wasn't it made to take out the bmw and other luxury sport cars, which bmw owners that i've met look down on gto's and think low of them, much like SOME gto owners feel about f-bodies, and yes there are f-bod owners who think gto's suck, well the 04 did, but the 05 is a different car, the 05 gto is a great car, and by the way it's not that they hate gto owners it's that they hate the attitude that SOME gto owners have i see it alot "Dude my 04-05 gto is way more superior than your 98-02 f-bod"
Old 01-09-2006, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
Not sure why, but there is alot of anti-GTO feelings on this board. Especially from the F-Body guys.

In the kills section they have this LT1 beats LS2 GTO nonesense in there. They are treating us like SRT-4 guys treat everyone else.

Your thoughts?
what?!!!!! an lt1 beating a LS2 GTO dude that is impossible only in a universe where down is up and black is white will that be possible.....see what i mean
Old 01-09-2006, 09:16 PM
8 Second Club

Different combos get different results LS1Speed. I think it's interesting that I had the stock exhaust manifolds and I was e.t.'ing and trapping right where you are now with a full exhaust...
Acctually when I made my first run ever at 13.0 I trapped 108.06 which is faster then my 12.8 run go figure. I still have the time slip to prove it. And I wouldn't consider what I have to be a full exhaust becasue the flowmaster cat back acctually takes away power over the stock WS6 exhaust. I bought car used and it came with the flowmaster. I'm done with the mud slinging but you have to addmit you've given the f-body less credit then it deserves.

Last edited by LS1SpeedAddict; 01-09-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
Acctually when I made my first run ever at 13.0 I trapped 108.06 which is faster then my 12.8 run go figure. I still have the time slip to prove it. And I wouldn't consider what I have to be a full exhaust becasue the flowmaster cat back acctually takes away power over the stock WS6 exhaust. I bought car used and it came with the flowmaster. I'm done with the mud slinging but you have to addmit you've given the f-body less credit then it deserves.
hey its in print , they must all be that way, it must be true - did you do it with yours? Is that typical? I remember seeing a guy with a dead fetus (his own twin) inside his body!

Anyways, my 04 GTO ran 13.1@105 totally, completely, bone stock on the 245 width alll season tires, it put down 302whp on the dynojet when stock - but whatever, I'd still like it if it ran high 13's that can be fixed anyway.

But anyway you all love your f-bod's as do many, I love my GTO as do many.

Especially since mine is an 11 sec ultra comfortable 30 mpg daily driven coupe - that is very stylish IMO, looks great, gets MANY compliments. It also sees 3-4 road course events a year.

Not trying to hurt any ones feelings, I like it, many people do, that's just the way it is. Maybe the car didn't meet some folks expectations, it FAR exceeded mine. I also see haters all the time, I really don't understand it.

Perhaps this is a case of the vocal minority overshadowing the silent majority, I don't know but whatever who really cares?

I like F-bods a lot, I like the GTO's more, that's why I own one. No reason for me to apologize for that.

Last edited by NVigR8; 01-09-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Hey NVIG, Is it typical of a Bone Stock GTO to run 13.1@105? Not likely..You kind of contradict yourself in your reply to LS1speedaddict..
Old 01-09-2006, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dan
Hey NVIG, Is it typical of a Bone Stock GTO to run 13.1@105? Not likely..You kind of contradict yourself in your reply to LS1speedaddict..
Actually that was part of the point I was trying to make - for every point there is a counterpoint - but whatever, I guess it was lost in the Internet/typing/forum method of communication.

But if you care to, go over to ls1gto.com and look at the drag times post you'll see that they all pretty much run real low 13's in stock form, its just that most drivers don't take the time to get it right.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Anyone else see the article where they compared the 04 GTO to the 04 AMG Mercedes. The GTO hung with the AMG in every category. The AMG was $89,000 as tested and the GTO was $34,000. The Mercedes got more points in the fit and finish categories...but not much more. All performance factors considered, the GTO is the best value out there. I guess you can take everyones opinion for what it's worth, but until you own one, you just can't appreciate the GTO.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Hey whats up my names josh i am new to this site just wanted to say hey
Old 01-10-2006, 03:37 AM
Teching In

Hey guys, actually went to the trouble of reading all the posts!!! Whilst I would love to own one of our Monaros from any of the 4 series (I am an Aussie and had to make do with an Commodore SS Ute ), the rebadged and restyled GTO's lost some of the simplistic styling that I feel make the Monaro so popular back here.

For the first 3 series of the Monaro there were clean lines on the front and back without any plastic inserts on the kit and the bonnet did not have the scoops. The wing was an option which many did not go for. I can understand the GTO is a Pontiac branded vehicle over there and it is customary to have the split grill, but i had trouble accepting the image of the 04 GTO and i didn't feel alone.

I am unaware of the perceptions GM tried to make with the 04 - 06 GTO in the market, but to Australia the Holden Monaro is a sports coupe that fits the Aussie sense of practicallity with 4 seats, a passion for V8's and hit the nail on the head when it came to the Monaro heritage of clean lines in a 2 door coupe (particularly the HQ and HJ of the 1970's).

It feels real good to see the current GTO owners love the vehicle as much as we do, especially now that production has finished in Australia of the Monaro for an undetermined length of time (many hoping for a swift return) as I would dearly hate to tell you folks to load them back on the ship to OZ so that we could rebadge them as Monaros and sell them to those that missed out.

P.S I dont hate you GTO guys (as the thread is asking) just jealous that you got my two door!!!

If the pics work, there is a HQ 1971 Monaro, current VZ Series 4 Monaro and a Commodore SS Ute that looks close to what i got, same colour but now lowered, Mags, and driveline mods.
Attached Thumbnails Everyone seems to hate us.-422889_1_full.jpg   Everyone seems to hate us.-vu-utess02.jpg   Everyone seems to hate us.-monaro-series-4.jpg  
Old 01-10-2006, 07:29 AM
Launching!

I bash when I get bashed. You guys should do some research on your own website. F-Bodies run anywhere from 12.9 up to low 14's. F-bodys get wheel hop. F-bodys exhibit scary dangerous handling and need suspension work to fix it, F-Bodies have drivetrain and brake problems, F-bodies new could of been priced up to $40,000 dollars. Yet you call the GTO a POS and it has FAR LESS issues.

I usually jump into these discussions because I like a good debate. And I follow the tone that gets set. People call the GTO a POS and give their opinions, I do the same to the F-Body and give my opinions. People then tell me not to get upset, and I sit back and laugh as these exact same guys freak out when they get a taste of their own medicine.

Your guys say the GTO runs shitty times and laugh. Yeah well, new guys running their cars for the first time or third time in a year tend to run slower. But, I see F-Bodys every time I go out to the track run the same times. Unless it's a guy that runs every weekend, then the Camaro runs low 13's, just like the experienced GTO driver does.

Some one tells me I drive like ****, and posts the exact same times and et's with a similar level of mods; I'm still trying to figure out the point there. Point 015 second et difference is track prep and conditions, a touch less heatsoak, etc.

Someone doesn't like the styling and the GTO is a POS. I can remember the Geo Storm comments and the what kind of drugs was GM smoking comments about the Camaro and the Trans Am.

If YOUR F-body has been trouble free since new congrates, don't think that goes for all of them. If my GTO has been trouble free since new Great, but I sure don't think that makes them all perfect. If you don't like the looks of the GTO, oh well, that doesn't mean everyone hates it. Like I said Here's a standing invite to come up and cruise this summer. OR, even Better, let's all meet for the OC Cruise this Spring

You think the GTO is a horrible dragracer. Guys with stock GTO's are running the exact same times as guys with stock F-Bodies. Sorry, I didn't collect all those guy's timeslips from the past year and a half, so you'll just have to take my word for it

You guys say the GTO didn't sell well and is a POS. Not true, The GTO was ORDERED from another country in very limited amounts and the orders were sold off to within 85 - 90 percent of the available stock. The F-Body it's last THREE years failed to even meet the MINIMUM build numbers GM requires to keep a car line in production. The F-Body's BEST production year for the Fourth Gen was '93 - '94 when the LT-1 and the new styling came out.

By the way, I know it sounds like I'm trying to convince you that the F-Body was a horrible car and everyone should laugh at it.

I'm not.

I'm trying to make it clear that everything being said in this thread is purely OPINION and even if everyone here has real world experience to back up their claims, absolutely does not mean their opinion (MINE included) is the way it is for the rest of the world.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Dan
11 Second Club

Good points, but, the 04 GTO didn't sell worth a ****..They were practically giving them away after the 05 was announced with the 400hp LS2..I saw them as low as 24-26k..What were they new? 31-33K? There are probably some new 04's sitting somewhere...MY opinion is the GTO & F-body run similar times, I have not seen many 05's run so I can't comment..Like I keep saying, the GTO is a nice car but I just don't like the styling..Just like most don't like the look of the f-body..I guess we can keep going on & on about this...To add more fuel to the fire..It seems to me that GM was to ******* lazy to design the GTO, they take the Manaro from Australia & think it will be a hit with us here..To an extent is has been a hit but they probably felt they needed some kind of rear wheel drive V-8 to take the F-body's place to go along with the Vette..Now GM claims it wasn't an F-body replacement, Who are they trying to kid? To sum it up, GM cut corners on STYLING ONLY on the GTO, Everything else they got right..again just my opinion
Old 01-10-2006, 08:50 AM
8 Second Club

I bash when I get bashed. You guys should do some research on your own website. F-Bodies run anywhere from 12.9 up to low 14's.

Some one tells me I drive like ****, and posts the exact same times and et's with a similar level of mods; I'm still trying to figure out the point there.

OR, even Better, let's all meet for the OC Cruise this Spring

Were you including 93-97 when you said upper 14s, if so I totally agree.

My point was you were saying you ran in the 14s with your f-body stock. As far as driving with those mods you had and the times you ran that was good. Could have been better but so could could my times as well.

OC cruise in MD?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
Were you including 93-97 when you said upper 14s, if so I totally agree.

My point was you were saying you ran in the 14s with your f-body stock. As far as driving with those mods you had and the times you ran that was good. Could have been better but so could could my times as well.

OC cruise in MD?

I think I ran a couple 15's the first time out in my 04 gto. After a little practice I busted off consistent 13.1's in completely stock form. My car isn't a freak - I just took the time to get it right (either you blow tires off these cars, about 90% of the time, and REALLY have to feather the clutch or you bog it).

GTO's aren't really slower, maybe a little tougher to get it right though.

BTW I love the styling of the car:

I couldn't ask for more in a car. A car I can actually drive to work every day without looking like I should have a can of skoal mark in my back pocket, has the LS1, isn't a stuffy european import, gets great mileage, built well, LOOKS GREAT!, and beats the crap out of everything in its price point.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Teching In

I bash when I get bashed. You guys should do some research on your own website. F-Bodies run anywhere from 12.9 up to low 14's. F-bodys get wheel hop. F-bodys exhibit scary dangerous handling and need suspension work to fix it, F-Bodies have drivetrain and brake problems, F-bodies new could of been priced up to $40,000 dollars. Yet you call the GTO a POS and it has FAR LESS issues.
The Pontiac Firehawk I traded in on my 2005 GTO cost $35,000 new in 1999. More money seven years ago for less car!

Quick Reply: Everyone seems to hate us.