Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Everyone seems to hate us.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
Say goodbye to the GTO! LOL! Get a load of this and scream in agony. If GM makes these and look remotely like this one, the GTO will be no more. F-body dead huh?? BS, its just starting. (even if obviously this is not a true f-body platform)

Have a nice day!
Well yeah - hello McFly - the GTO is only a 3 year run from 2004 to 2006, it doesn't meat 2007 crash standards.
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I posted the Camaro Concept picture with a clear objective. Mainly to shut up some people here about saying that f-bodies were a thing of the past, that they were dead. It is very clear that most of the comments brought forward by the GTO owners are the result of a LOT of car enthusiasts making negative comments about its style and price (overpriced) set of wheels. Never think you are at the top of the game, there will be something better than you, always. In this case this car (new Camaro) has the complete package, ***** and looks. Funny how some say "well it will never look like that you know...." Even if it looks 60 to 70% as good as that pic it will still win hands down in the looks department against the GTO, not to mention possibly more ***** also. I bet some proud GTO owners have beginning to think their smart buy was not that smart in view of what is coming. The Camaro, the Challenger, the Mustang...muscle cars war have started again. Possibly Pontiac will change the look of the current Holden/GTO platform to stay in this game....this GTO is only offering half of what is expected from it.
TECH Apprentice

I posted the Camaro Concept picture with a clear objective. Mainly to shut up some people here about saying that f-bodies were a thing of the past, that they were dead. It is very clear that most of the comments brought forward by the GTO owners are the result of a LOT of car enthusiasts making negative comments about its style and price (overpriced) set of wheels. Never think you are at the top of the game, there will be something better than you, always. In this case this car (new Camaro) has the complete package, ***** and looks. Funny how some say "well it will never look like that you know...." Even if it looks 60 to 70% as good as that pic it will still win hands down in the looks department against the GTO, not to mention possibly more ***** also. I bet some proud GTO owners have beginning to think their smart buy was not that smart in view of what is coming. The Camaro, the Challenger, the Mustang...muscle cars war has started again. Possibly Pontiac will change the look of the current Holden/GTO platform to stay in this game....this GTO is only offering half of what is expected from it.

Dude, get over your ego.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

What over YOUR ego....??? LOL!!
Old 01-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Teching In

In this case this car (new Camaro) has the complete package, ***** and looks.
It's vaporware until it goes to production (years from now). Will they be able to sticker this thing for $34k?
Old 01-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Launching!

i dont know why people have such a hard time w/ GM rebadging the Monaro a GTO, just like they rebadged a LeMans a GTO in the 60s. Everything GM sells is rebadged as something else, Camaro/Firebird, Silverado/Sierra, Equinox/Torrent, Colorado/Canyon, Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade, Trailblazer/Envoy, HHR/PT Cruiser (woops, hehe)... I think you get the point.

Also, I dont know how to break this to some of you, but alot of people don't like the retro looks. The Mustang is selling well, but thats mainly due to its v6 base models and 16 year old chicks. Yep, that Thunderbird really sold well .

All Im saying is that people need to realize that everybody has their own opinion on things, and no matter how much you think yours is right, the next guy thinks his is too, so dont state your opinion as if its been handed down from God, because, you know, its not... This is the same reason I cant understand why people have to bash what others like for no reason, especially when the cars are of the same company.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

OHH! Yes rethorical questions also...I forgot that defense mechanism.....I dont know honestly...will it rain tomorrow?????
Old 01-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Starrbuck
It's vaporware until it goes to production (years from now). Will they be able to sticker this thing for $34k?
I don't see why it wouldn't be priced around that..I hope it's a little less, The Camaros are usually cheaper than the Pontiacs..I personally think GM is 4yrs to late with this car..they should have just re-designed it like the mudstain as a 2003 F-Body model along with the Firebird..They would have been ahead of the game..But Lutz is a Putz along with all the designers at GM..Look at this ******* thing they have out that looks like a PT Cruiser..What is that **** all about? When I 1st saw it, I'm like..No wonder GM is going Bankrupt..They are a day late & a dollar short..
Old 01-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Launching!

I posted the Camaro Concept picture with a clear objective. Mainly to shut up some people here about saying that f-bodies were a thing of the past, that they were dead. It is very clear that most of the comments brought forward by the GTO owners are the result of a LOT of car enthusiasts making negative comments about its style and price (overpriced) set of wheels.
I dont agree w/ the whole "fbodies are dead" comments. But, I can see their point. I was looking for a new, rwd, v8 coupe from GM, I cant afford a Corvette, and I like the looks of the new GTOs, and loved the older GTOs, so I got a GTO for less than a top of the line SS or T/A was in 02.

Never think you are at the top of the game, there will be something better than you, always. In this case this car (new Camaro) has the complete package, ***** and looks.

Very true, there will always be something better, faster, etc, whether you drive a GTO, a Camaro, or a Ferrari. I like the looks of the GTO, so it is the complete package to me and alot of other people.

Funny how some say "well it will never look like that you know...." Even if it looks 60 to 70% as good as that pic it will still win hands down in the looks department against the GTO, not to mention possibly more ***** also.

in your opinion. Im not a big retro fan, so I prefer the updated looks of the GTO. Could it be faster, sure, see my last comments above.

I bet some proud GTO owners have beginning to think their smart buy was not that smart in view of what is coming.

nope, Im still looking forward to bringing my 05-06 GTO home.

The Camaro, the Challenger, the Mustang...muscle cars war have started again.

I never knew they ended??? Granted the GMs have been kickin *** for a while, but they have never stopped making the Mustang, save for the II years (hehe)

Possibly Pontiac will change the look of the current Holden/GTO platform to stay in this game....this GTO is only offering half of what is expected from it.

as a former and future GTO owner, they offer everything I expected and more. I hope they keep the GTO for years to come, w/ updates as needed.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dan
I don't see why it wouldn't be priced around that..I hope it's a little less, The Camaros are usually cheaper than the Pontiacs..I personally think GM is 4yrs to late with this car..they should have just re-designed it like the mudstain as a 2003 F-Body model along with the Firebird..They would have been ahead of the game..But Lutz is a Putz along with all the designers at GM..Look at this ******* thing they have out that looks like a PT Cruiser..What is that **** all about? When I 1st saw it, I'm like..No wonder GM is going Bankrupt..They are a day late & a dollar short..
I agree 100%. I just hope they can make out for the time lost. GM needs a succesful, accesible car.....badly....
Old 01-08-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FRMRGM
I dont agree w/ the whole "fbodies are dead" comments. But, I can see their point. I was looking for a new, rwd, v8 coupe from GM, I cant afford a Corvette, and I like the looks of the new GTOs, and loved the older GTOs, so I got a GTO for less than a top of the line SS or T/A was in 02.

Very true, there will always be something better, faster, etc, whether you drive a GTO, a Camaro, or a Ferrari. I like the looks of the GTO, so it is the complete package to me and alot of other people.

in your opinion. Im not a big retro fan, so I prefer the updated looks of the GTO. Could it be faster, sure, see my last comments above.

nope, Im still looking forward to bringing my 05-06 GTO home.

I never knew they ended??? Granted the GMs have been kickin *** for a while, but they have never stopped making the Mustang, save for the II years (hehe)

as a former and future GTO owner, they offer everything I expected and more. I hope they keep the GTO for years to come, w/ updates as needed.
Completely respect your point of view, except that the Mustang II started a trend of anemic Mustangs up to this day..LOL!!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Completely respect your point of view, except that the Mustang II started a trend of anemic Mustangs up to this day..LOL!!!!

ouch, the truth hurts though, hehe

I actually owned a Mustang GT (I know, I know), before the GTO, so I can attest to the shittyness first hand.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Gee Chaman, someone must of hit a sore spot with you. If it was me, sorry. But, like I said, I dumped my Trans Am like a hot potato when the GTO came out. I didn't even have to test drive the Goat it to know it's got exactly what I want in a sports coupe.

If you don't agree, that's fine, you can think the GTO is cruddy because an F-body might have a couple of tenths on it (Hasn't really happened to me yet, and I've been racing F-Bodies since I was 16, about 22 years now)

And you can make a blanket statement that the looks are bland, that's fine also, some people need the in your face styling. All I know is that I've had more compliments and crazy behavior from people trying to get a look at the Goat than I've ever had with The last three Trans Ams I've owned.

The other argument about the F-Bodies being faster is one I have to laugh at as well. I bought my '99 Trans Am at the end of the '98 production run, and I raced it for the next 5 years. mid 13's upto around 14 in the quarter are common for an F-Body with some good drivers getting low thirteens. I'm sure you'll call bs but this is what I've seen and run myself. Before I got rid of the TA, I had an SY3500, Random tech Y, Corsa catback, Lid, Maf, LS-6 intake, and a TR throttle body. The car ran 12.9 at 107.5 with a 1.89 60' on street tires. That's also what other F-Bodies ran with similar mods.

Now, Just down at Cecil before it closed for the winter, I met up with some other GTO guys. One was running heads, cam, stall and a tune, the other was the same except for a m6 and he also had a shot of nitrous on top. The first guy ran a 12.1 at 115, the second ran 11.5 at 120 but smoked his clutch and quit for the day.

I have a cam and longtubes and a tune, nothing else. I burned my clutch all the way through first and second and couldn't hook the clutch until the top of third, but I still trapped at 104.9. If you think these times are slow for the mods done, you need therapy. In all fairness though, when I first had the GTO, I took it down to Mason Dixon. It's my first six speed and I thought that I could just pop the clutch at the line and powershift each gear. Boy was I a schmuck. That day I ran a 14.5 at 101.8. It was embarrassing and I practiced elsewhere until I got the launch and shifting right. Then I went back and ran a 13.3 at 104.7, on street tires.

Where was I?? Oh Yeah, slower is therefore a piece of ****. By this logic, If I took a ratted out Pinto and stuffed a 572 in the rear seats, ran 9.9 all day, that would make your car a piece of ****? Is a 911 a POS because your TA with mods beat it?

I think the real problem here, and I said it earlier, is that for some unknown reason alot of you F-Body owners have taken it as a personal insult that so many former F-Body guys have gone so cheerfully to the GTO, instead of spitting on it out of hand like a good groupie should. Ridiculous, I didn't buy my GTO just to rub your face in it.

Last edited by 2edybrd; 01-09-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FRMRGM
i dont know why people have such a hard time w/ GM rebadging the Monaro a GTO, just like they rebadged a LeMans a GTO in the 60s. Everything GM sells is rebadged as something else, Camaro/Firebird, Silverado/Sierra, Equinox/Torrent, Colorado/Canyon, Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade, Trailblazer/Envoy, HHR/PT Cruiser (woops, hehe)... I think you get the point.

Also, I dont know how to break this to some of you, but alot of people don't like the retro looks. The Mustang is selling well, but thats mainly due to its v6 base models and 16 year old chicks. Yep, that Thunderbird really sold well .

All Im saying is that people need to realize that everybody has their own opinion on things, and no matter how much you think yours is right, the next guy thinks his is too, so dont state your opinion as if its been handed down from God, because, you know, its not... This is the same reason I cant understand why people have to bash what others like for no reason, especially when the cars are of the same company.
You are exactly right. Not sure on the retro thing. I think its a fad and after it's gone these retro cars are going to tank in the market. Granted the money will be made on them before hand. It's going to be real hard for them to sell newer non-retro designs after they phase out these existing retro cars. In act the retro look could even go out of style before the Camaro is released to the public. Which could kill them before they get out the door.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Starrbuck

that's more than the GTO is now and people keep calling it overpriced....

I'll say it again...find me a 400 hp V8 RWD coupe with an available 6-speed for less than the GTO.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted the Camaro Concept picture with a clear objective. Mainly to shut up some people here about saying that f-bodies were a thing of the past, that they were dead. It is very clear that most of the comments brought forward by the GTO owners are the result of a LOT of car enthusiasts making negative comments about its style and price (overpriced) set of wheels. Never think you are at the top of the game, there will be something better than you, always. In this case this car (new Camaro) has the complete package, ***** and looks. Funny how some say "well it will never look like that you know...." Even if it looks 60 to 70% as good as that pic it will still win hands down in the looks department against the GTO, not to mention possibly more ***** also. I bet some proud GTO owners have beginning to think their smart buy was not that smart in view of what is coming. The Camaro, the Challenger, the Mustang...muscle cars war have started again. Possibly Pontiac will change the look of the current Holden/GTO platform to stay in this game....this GTO is only offering half of what is expected from it.
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Have you even been in a GTO to even make statements like that? I would imagine not.

Here's a news flash...The Camaro is basically a rebodied GTO. Its almost identical underneath and its shorter.

Go ahead and bash if you have first hand knowledge, but blanket ignorance should be taken out of the equation.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:53 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 2edybrd
The other argument about the F-Bodies being faster is one I have to laugh at as well. I bought my '99 Trans Am at the end of the '98 production run, and I raced it for the next 5 years. mid 13's upto around 14 in the quarter are common for an F-Body with some good drivers getting low thirteens. I'm sure you'll call bs but this is what I've seen and run myself. Before I got rid of the TA, I had an SY3500, Random tech Y, Corsa catback, Lid, Maf, LS-6 intake, and a TR throttle body. The car ran 12.9 at 107.5 with a 1.89 60' on street tires. That's also what other F-Bodies ran with similar mods.
I usually wouldn't say anything about this example, but you are using it to try and make a point...

Those times are not that great, and I think they are on the slow end of the LS1 fbody examples. If we are going to play that card, then my 00 SS went 13.1 @ 110 on a 2.2 60' (street tires) with a lid, catback, and 4.10's. I even feel as though that was slow for the mods.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why we are talking about which car is faster now..It's like comparing a 3rd gen to a 4th gen as to which car is better...I will say this, I went drag racing in spetember & there were a couple gto's there, Nice cars by the way..I really didn't notice what they were running because I was a little pissed I was only running 12.30's all night...GTO guy comes up to me & asks what I have done to the car..I said well I have 335hp to the wheels..he seemed kind of shocked, I said to him, well you have 400hp right(05 gto)? He said I have 430hp & I can't get the car out of the 13's..I said, that's about right from what I have seen..he then says..NO, I have 430hp to the wheels..I'm like WHOA...The point is the guy could not drive..I was trying to tell him what to do to try to get better times, I doubt he listened..I know 1st hand how hard it is the drive a 6 speed at the track...Moral of the story is the GTO should be as fast or faster than the f-body...Who cares though, It's still a pontiac with a nice engine..Like I said, the looks are the only thing holding me back from owning the car, Now the Camaro or Challenger might get me to buy another car Another point about GM having there head up their asses..I want all of you to tell me what car the Solstice resembles..It's starts with an M & is made by Mazda
Old 01-09-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rob
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Have you even been in a GTO to even make statements like that? I would imagine not.

Here's a news flash...The Camaro is basically a rebodied GTO. Its almost identical underneath and its shorter.

Go ahead and bash if you have first hand knowledge, but blanket ignorance should be taken out of the equation.

Im ignorant huh? According to whom, you?? Who the heck are you anyway? I have been in and I have driven the new GTO so get over it. Face the reality that not everyone was impressed by it. Its easy to bring the old "you know nothing, I do" childish argument when you ran out of them, right? How about my dad is better than yours? Does this satisfies your level of discussion??

The Camaro could be similar mechanically to the GTO if not better and also a shortened version of Cadillac CTS platform is been consider so READ and INFORM yourself before acting like a kid, really.

I really enjoyed a recent argument I had here with FRMRGM. You are just typing away like a rabid dog.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Im ignorant huh? According to whom, you?? Who the heck are you anyway? I have been in and I have driven the new GTO so get over it. Face the reality that not everyone was impressed by it. Its easy to bring the old "you know nothing, I do" childish argument when you ran out of them, right? How about my dad is better than yours? Does this satisfies your level of discussion??

The Camaro could be similar mechanically to the GTO if not better and also a shortened version of Cadillac CTS platform is been consider so READ and INFORM yourself before acting like a kid, really.

I really enjoyed a recent argument I had here with FRMRGM. You are just typing away like a rabid dog.
Oh, I bow down to your superiority

The Concept is riding on a modified GTO platform. Look at the CAD drawings that were floating around, almost identical. It will be on the ZETA structure as the Cadillac is too expensive for it to redo.

If anybody is acting like a child, it is you my friend. But since it makes you feel better, go right ahead.

Quick Reply: Everyone seems to hate us.