Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Everyone seems to hate us.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by glennster
Gm learned a lesson and it didn't sell,I bet no redesign.Gm took away what used to make them great,CHOICE.GTO has 2 choices,color and trans.My Z stickered for 24K with everything except leather
What lesson would that be? It sold better than the F-Body did. They made less because of capacity. 157xx for 04 and about 12K for 05. 05 was shortened over 3 months so the 06 could be here before Jan unlike the previous two years.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
Well, alot of so called "purists" dislike the GTO. Perhaps because it's Australian built and possibly for it's looks. There are a few things the new GTO shares with the original. Low keyed styling, a heavy body, major power and the hood scoops and front grills are somewhat reminiscnet of the original Goats.

In either case, they can usually out perform their competitors for nearly the same price. Some cases for less, (SRT-8 Charger) and sometimes more. (Mustang GT.)

The looks didn't sell me on the car. I think it looks ok, but what really excites me is the performance and interior. Plus feature wise it's much more advanced than the F-Body ever was.

GM also doesn't do a good job marketting the GTO. In fact they do no marketting at all. You can't move something almost no one knows about.
I agree completely. I bought one for a few different reasons. 1) because the limited production. Everywhere you look you see a F-bod or mustang, not a GTO. 2) Power and handling, enough said. 3) fit and finish. Again enough said. 4) the looks are subjective. I don't like the '04. The changes made for '05 were enough to want to buy one. Did I pay sticker? Not even close, nor would I have. They are not flashy and don't stand out in the crowd, but if some one takes a serious look, be ready for questions and compliments. As soon as there is a Mustang on every corner that too, like an f-bod will be a "me-two" car.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

i like the GTO, but a big reason for that is the ls2 inside of it. If it wasn't for that would you guys have boughten it for the design of the body?? me personally i want a muscle car to look like a muscle car, and these just don't to me that much. i'm a big fbody fan, and i'm not bashing GTO's but my vote OVERALL is for camaro's & firebirds because the design of it fits the purpose of the car in my eyes and that is american f'in muscle. ( and gto guys dont start coming back talking about american muscle saying you would kick my ***, i know this. )
Old 01-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
i like the GTO, but a big reason for that is the ls2 inside of it. If it wasn't for that would you guys have boughten it for the design of the body?? me personally i want a muscle car to look like a muscle car, and these just don't to me that much. i'm a big fbody fan, and i'm not bashing GTO's but my vote OVERALL is for camaro's & firebirds because the design of it fits the purpose of the car in my eyes and that is american f'in muscle. ( and gto guys dont start coming back talking about american muscle saying you would kick my ***, i know this. )
would you have bought your fbody if it was offered w/ only a v6, somehow I doubt it.

If your point is simply to state you prefer the camaros and firebirds, thats fine, I just dont understand what else your trying to say? that the gto design doesnt fit the "muscle car" mold, whereas even if the camaro only had a v6, itd at least look like a "muscle car"?
Old 01-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Banned

I've never like the looks of Camaros as well. The only reason I bought one was cuz of the motor. At least with the GTO I somewhat like the styling, and the interior is much better. All in all if either the Camaro or GTO didn't have a nice V8 in it I wouldn't have wasted my money on anyone of them IMO. Though at least with the GTO you get more than a V8
Old 01-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GTO_Scott
Tsk tsk, time to do some research
Irrelevant. "Ricer" has never meant Australian cars, and that's the point I was making.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glennster
Gm learned a lesson and it didn't sell,I bet no redesign.Gm took away what used to make them great,CHOICE.GTO has 2 choices,color and trans.My Z stickered for 24K with everything except leather

There's a lack of options because the car comes with EVERYTHING standard. You have to look at the market again. the GTO is a GT car (think cheap Aston Martin as I think someone quoted earlier). Do you think anyone would buy an AM Vanquish and delete leather, stereo, air conditioning or anything like that if Aston allowed you to? of course not... If they wanted a stripped-down european MAXIMUM performance car with NO compromises made to ride quality or comfort, they'd buy a Porsche GT3 or something instead.

as for powertrain options, why would you offer a choice there either? do you honestly think there'd be a real market for a 3700 pound car with a 6-cylinder engine and a GTO nameplate? No....

Your Z28 may have been $24,000 but how did a LOADED 2002 SS or WS6 cost???
Old 01-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ

as for powertrain options, why would you offer a choice there either? do you honestly think there'd be a real market for a 3700 pound car with a 6-cylinder engine and a GTO nameplate?
We had a 6 cylinder option here for a couple of years, but nobody bought it .....Wonder why.....
Old 01-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Uncle Tone
We had a 6 cylinder option here for a couple of years, but nobody bought it .....Wonder why.....
And there are tons of V6 Camaros and Firebirds, and Mustangs...
Old 01-07-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
There's a lack of options because the car comes with EVERYTHING standard. You have to look at the market again. the GTO is a GT car (think cheap Aston Martin as I think someone quoted earlier). Do you think anyone would buy an AM Vanquish and delete leather, stereo, air conditioning or anything like that if Aston allowed you to? of course not... If they wanted a stripped-down european MAXIMUM performance car with NO compromises made to ride quality or comfort, they'd buy a Porsche GT3 or something instead.

as for powertrain options, why would you offer a choice there either? do you honestly think there'd be a real market for a 3700 pound car with a 6-cylinder engine and a GTO nameplate? No....

Your Z28 may have been $24,000 but how did a LOADED 2002 SS or WS6 cost???
I mostly agree.

However, there is something to be said for a performance car on a budget. In the case of the Camaro you could configure them lots of ways. The Trans-AM on the other hand had the WS6 option, a larger wheel option on the WS6 and you had the choice of transmission and the option for a CD-Changer. Otherwise all Trans-AM's from 1998 on were the same.

So in the Chevy brand, there would be room for a more budget minded car. I do agree with you that in the case of the Pontiac GTO, there is no need for the options. Plus I think it's a plus for the buyer, because the dealers can't push cars that aren't well optioned on you, and you don't have to go looking all over the place for cars with specific options. For example last time I checked there were over 100 possible combinations of Ford F-150. In the GTO, all you really have to do is choose the color combo and the transmission. Everything else is standard. If you are on a budget of less than 33K, the GTO isn't for you.

Originally Posted by Starrbuck
And there are tons of V6 Camaros and Firebirds, and Mustangs...
Sadly this is true. The reason they offer those engines is to keep the price down. But really, when you look at what is typically charged for the upgraded engine, it's usually about 700-1500 dollars. Not a huge deal. Except that they usually make you pay alot more for it in some kind of package which adds other things that jack the price up.

I really wish those cars weren't offered either. I don't think they are needed. I'd rather see useless features like leather and higher end stereos, navigation, Onstar and junk like that dropped in favor of the larger engine. Drop appearance items even. At least the days of 8 different engine choices being offered in the same car are gone.

I don't miss that.

Last edited by Firehawk0220; 01-07-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

are you people ******* serious? just a couple things.

i don't really see what the problem is. it's a RWD LS1/2 powered 2 door coupe. but to help you mentally challenged haters, i've decided to address some of the topics i've seen.

1) yes, it's heavier. but who gives a **** really? i'd rather have a heavier but more refined car than a stripped down shitbox. it does 13's in the quarter. just like the f-body.
2) ok, maybe not everyone can get it in the 13's. but that's the impressive thing. any shmoe can take a f-body and do 13's. it takes more skill to take a IRS car and get it in the 13's.
3) so it looks like a grand prix. or a G6. sunfire, grand am. cavalier. so what? the original GTOs looked like lemans. you can't tell a Z28 apart from a V6 camaro. i like the sleeper effect. if you want scoops and bulges and such, get a honda. there's lots more parts for that shitbox to "look fast" anyways. seriously, since when did true performance enthusiasts get performance cars based solely on looks? are we drifting slowly away from the thing that distinguishes us from ricers?
4) yes it's made in australia. so? just because it's foreign doesn't mean it's a decent car? so i guess that means all foreign cars must suck. oh wait, some of the most fastest cars are imports! holy **** i guess they must suck regardless because they are imports. look at the timeslips of some holdens. some of them are downright scary.
5) they don't sell well. well, would you rather have GTOs be a dime a dozen like mustangs? seeing something often kinda ruins the appeal. for example, when the C6 first came out, i had already seen more of them on the road then GTOs. EVER. that's including dealer lots and stuff. that's why they aren't that special anymore. everytime i see one, i just go "oh another vette." that's besides the point. there are stealerships who aren't willing to budge on the price which is why they aren't selling. for example, i've tried to get a leftover 04 recently and they still won't go under $26K. that's why they still have these cars. believe it or not, there are lots of people who want GTOs. but not for what the dealers are trying to sell them for. seriously, why the hell would you pay $26K for a leftover '04 GTO when for $2K more, you could get an '05 GTO?
5) last but not least, its the internet. who gives a **** who hates what? you're entitled to your own opinion. seriously, do you expect everyone to be like "oh you drive a GTO? i respect that."? my goodness.

there's a lot more issues i haven't even replied to. but i have better things to do. flame on if you want to. i really don't give a ****. why hate each other when we could all gang up and hate on the SRT-slow and muff-stain guys? ya know?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

The rarity is nice. Don't get me wrong. I like that. However, I think that the concern for them not selling well means that our favorite cars get discontinued. Just like the Camaro. The GTO's future is already uncertain. We know there won't be a 2007 version of the car.

That's the downside to them not selling well. Believe me if they were selling in the same numbers as the Mustangs, they might refresh them slightly and keep them going for another couple years. Then change them.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

why should you care if they get discontinued? you already have one... right?
Old 01-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ws6gluemaker
Any car car can be modded. Good for you. I was comparing apples to apples. Stock for Stock. Did you modify the suspension? Did you get a tune? Alas the fbody days are already done. But they are still cars capable of competing at the stoplight or dragstrip and at the autocross course if setup correctly. The Dodge b-body day is long over but they are some of the best looking and performing cars of there day too. And still capable of making a strong pass down the 1320. Gone but not forgotten.
You know what, you're right, there are plenty of F-Bodies still around. And they are nothing to mess with at the track either. Hell my Tuner Mechanic has one of the fastest Camaros on the east coast. (East Side Peformace) www.eastsideperformance.net All they work on is LSx motors and has done all of the work on my car. Cam/with all the goodies, Rockers, UD Pulley, Kooks Headers, FM Cat Back, GMM Ripshifter, LS1Edit tune that he Modified himself, etc... I have respect for all Muscle cars, we put all of our hard earned money into it. I use to do all of my own work, but since an accident that put me on the disabled list, I have to depend on someone else. I just wished people would see the GTO for what it is, a Muscle Car, big Deal it's from Down Under, but most of GM cars are made somewhere other than the USA. And remember the GTO was nothing more than a Tempest with a huge engine in it. Just like the GTO of today, another car with a bigger motor in it. It's come full circle......

~ROK~

Last edited by GTO-ROK; 01-07-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:12 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm an f-body guy, but not a GTO hater. If I were in the market for a car right now, I'd seriously consider a GTO. I think they're sharp. People tend to knock the styling, but I see nothing wrong with it. Consider it a blank canvas for adding your own personal touches if you wish to do so.

The only thing that concerns me is the IRS. That's only from what I've read, and how I've seen others handle them at the dragstrip. I've yet to drive one myself, so I'm not educated on them enough to say it's a downfall in the design of the car.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 ugly "Birdmaros" but I never could get to like the looks of the GTO..The GTO reminds me of a woman..She can be an ugly bitch, but she has a heart of gold & is good on the inside...Sorry, I don't date ugly women, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? GM Fucked up with the GTO & they will probably **** up the new camaro..let the flames begin boys...

Last edited by Dan; 01-07-2006 at 08:36 PM. Reason: more text
Old 01-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dan
I have 2 ugly "Birdmaros" but I never could get to like the looks of the GTO..The GTO reminds me of a woman..She can be an ugly bitch, but she has a heart of gold & is good on the inside...Sorry, I don't date ugly women, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? GM Fucked up with the GTO & they will probably **** up the new camaro..let the flames begin boys...
You're entitled to your own opinion. I never thought the GTO was "ugly", I guess I see things a little different.........

Here's your Flames:

~ROK~
Old 01-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GTO is not ugly, Guess I could substitute the word "not Attractive"..I was trying to make a general statement I guess..I have been around the GTO's, I just don't like the looks & can't see myself spending 33k for one..The interior Is friggin awesome & the car is well built & the power is undenyable..I still like the looks of the F-Body more..GM could have put a little more effort in the design of the GTO..

Last edited by Dan; 01-07-2006 at 08:49 PM. Reason: edit text
Old 01-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dan
The GTO is not ugly..I was trying to make a general statement I guess..I have been around the GTO's I just don't like the looks..The interior Is friggin awesome & the car is well built..I still like the looks of the F-Body more..GM could have put a little more effort in the design of the GTO..
That's cool Dan, and by the way, your "Bird" is awesome!!!! I went to your site, I see you're just as proud of your Pontiac than I am of mine, and there's nothing wrong with that. I had a 96 Trans Am and I loved that car, traded it for a 98 GTP and loved that car too, until the GTO arrived. I wish I kept the TA though, and had Both TA & GTO. I've been a Pontiac "guy" for a long time, from my first 66 LeMans, to my 68 & 69 GTO's to the ones I already mentioned. From 1972 to now Pontiac's have been in my Blood. Good Luck with your two Beauties Dan............

~ROK~
Old 01-07-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

I had a 2001 camaro ss before my gto.I took a gto for a ride and i loved it.The quality and ride was so much better than the camaro.As far as looks i like it.I also love the fact that i don't see to many on the roads and at the gas stations people always ask about the car.It is all in the eye of the beholder.By the way my buddy liked the camaro better and he also loves the new mustang.
I almost forgot no hump on the passenger floor.

Quick Reply: Everyone seems to hate us.