Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Everyone seems to hate us.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all i really have to say is before you trash talk a GTO go test drive or go for a ride along in one before you open your mouths. it changes everything and before you know it you will be owning one. it happened to me and it is the best thing that has ever happened
Old 01-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Teching In

I could care less if people that like F-Bodies don't like like my GTO. I didn't buy it to win any popularity contests, I bought it because I liked it. And now that I have owned one for over 22 months I wouldn't trade it for anything. To each their own........

~ROK~
Old 01-06-2006, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

I've driven 4th gen Camarobirds and almost bought a then new 98 SS but never was comfortable in the car. Hated the front windshield/dash, looks like they took it off the Lumia van (remember them?). I've ownrd my GTO since Oct04 and put on 17K HARD miles, over 150 passes at the strip and still has not failed me yet. I've figured a CAI and a tune will get me in the 12's.

Ugly/boring looking yea, but slow? Not on your life! They have to pry this car from my dead, decaying hands!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyGoatBites
GM tossed the F-body car out of their lineup because they were NOT selling at anywhere near their plant capacity. How Fbody guys can sit here and say GTO suck and they are not selling is beyond me. Thats the pot calling the kettle black. They haven't made your car in 4 years. I think Fbody guys have LS2 envy.
it took the ls2 to get that yawn of a car to move at a pace even similar to a 4 year old fbody! The reintroduction of the GTO was a not the hit Lutz wanted. My problem is that Lutz threw away a name still fresh in the minds of americans, young and old, gave us no chance of a firebird turn, and stated that the Pontiac division is going after BMW. With what? The G6 will not lure 3 series buyers. The GTO may be boring to look at but at least its not as ugly as the 5 series. On top of that they tried to keep the marketers from posting that the Fbody was a powerfull (or more) as the high on a pedestal Vette. Then let the GTO quote the same hp numbers. 30+ years of fbodys and barely a decade of GTOs. Which one has the heritage? The GTO is a mirror for america. Fat, boring and trying to catch up with the rest of the world.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ws6gluemaker
it took the ls2 to get that yawn of a car to move at a pace even similar to a 4 year old fbody!
I just wanted to address a couple comments here... The GTO wasnt introduced to be a huge production number car, or a huge sales number car, hence the lack of options when compared to the older firebirds and camaroes. Also, out of those 4 year old fbodies, how many were v6s or sold to rental companies? The GTO has done what it was brought here to do.

The reintroduction of the GTO was a not the hit Lutz wanted. My problem is that Lutz threw away a name still fresh in the minds of americans, young and old, gave us no chance of a firebird turn, and stated that the Pontiac division is going after BMW. With what?
I dont think it was ever expected to be a huge sales hit, only planning to make 18k a year seems to prove it wasnt supposed to be a huge seller. Ive heard alot of comparisons between the GTO and the BMW M3, especially from a fit/finish standpoint, so Id say they do have something to compete, and the G6 is not in BMW territory, but it has uped the competition w/ toyota and honda, which is a huge segment of the market.

Also, on a side note, I dont think there was a problem w/ people not know what the GTO was, simply a lack of advertising on GMs part. I personally wasnt even born when the original GTO was around, but since I am a car/truck guy, had seen them and loved the old GTO, especially the 64-67s, so Im glad alot of uneducated people w/ no respect for the GTOs history have not gone out and purchased the car. Im glad there arent alot of 16 year old girls driving a v6 version of the GTO.

On top of that they tried to keep the marketers from posting that the Fbody was a powerfull (or more) as the high on a pedestal Vette. Then let the GTO quote the same hp numbers.
I think they learned their lesson there w/ the GNX, i doubt anything made by GM again will come close to equalling the vettes performance. The reason they were allowed to use the same numbers for the GTO is simply that its a different car for a different purpose IMO.

30+ years of fbodys and barely a decade of GTOs. Which one has the heritage? The GTO is a mirror for america. Fat, boring and trying to catch up with the rest of the world.
This would all be personal opinion at this point, as most of this is. I believe the GTOs heritage is just as strong as the fbody cars. It was first, best looking, and established a new type of car, hard to top that IMO. The GTO is a mirror of america IMO also, big, proud, and unapologetic.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Teching In

it took the ls2 to get that yawn of a car to move at a pace even similar to a 4 year old fbody! The reintroduction of the GTO was a not the hit Lutz wanted. My problem is that Lutz threw away a name still fresh in the minds of americans, young and old, gave us no chance of a firebird turn, and stated that the Pontiac division is going after BMW. With what? The G6 will not lure 3 series buyers. The GTO may be boring to look at but at least its not as ugly as the 5 series. On top of that they tried to keep the marketers from posting that the Fbody was a powerfull (or more) as the high on a pedestal Vette. Then let the GTO quote the same hp numbers. 30+ years of fbodys and barely a decade of GTOs. Which one has the heritage? The GTO is a mirror for america. Fat, boring and trying to catch up with the rest of the world.
With a few mods my Yawn 04 LS1 GTO isn't too shabby at a 12.5 with a 1.8 60'. I'm not looking to make it a Drag car either, but when I can beat 95% of the street Muscle cars of today and yesterday I'm happy. I've owned my share of F-Bodies in my 34 years of driving and I have nothing against them. They were the Muscle cars of their time, but that time has gone, it's time to make room for the New Age Muscle cars. I've been through 4 decades of change and each new decade the last ones always complain, it's time to move over, the F-Bodies time is almost done.

~ROK~
Old 01-06-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Gm should have given the Monaro to Buick.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The GTO is a mirror for america. Fat, boring and trying to catch up with the rest of the world.
then do us all a favor and leave....
Old 01-06-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

....the F-Bodies time is almost done.
This kind of stupid post could be the reason why the "GTO Prix" is bee bashed, don't you think?? Check the percentage of f-body related material been discussed here everyday. Most people are continuing working on their f-bodys, these cars continue to be worked on, mod on etc. Believe me when I say that once this new GTO is gone it would never have the kind of following f-bodies have. Is it a better car? certainly. The f-body time done? sorry, you don't have a clue of what your saying
Old 01-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Banned

Are you all done yet? Seriously now. If they don't like the GTO's who cares? If they like them then great. Either way I own one along with some of you here. We pay for them and we drive them everyday. It don't matter what anyone else thinks about your car, as long as you like it that is all that matters IMO.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chaman
This kind of stupid post could be the reason why the "GTO Prix" is bee bashed, don't you think?? Check the percentage of f-body related material been discussed here everyday. Most people are continuing working on their f-bodys, these cars continue to be worked on, mod on etc. Believe me when I say that once this new GTO is gone it would never have the kind of following f-bodies have. Is it a better car? certainly. The f-body time done? sorry, you don't have a clue of what your saying
yes this forum is a fbody dominated forum obviously but they are mostly a dime a dozen, the GTO is far and few between and will never be gone. one day when all of you fbody guys get over yourselves you will want and eventually own GTOs. i would like to add i do respect and like the looks of fbodys as most of my friends drive them and i am frequently riding in them but i love my goat and wouldnt trade it for anything and all of them love my goat as well. we need to get over this and just work together and make the most out of our cars as possible
Old 01-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Launching!

GTO is fat, boring and trying to catch up with the rest of the world, Huh? Sorry, The GTO as the Vauxhall and the Monaro has been a world class Sport Coupe for almost a decade. The car has had only praise and victory in practicaly every competition it's seen.

The F-body is laughed at all over the world. It doesn't even rate on the world stage. And never did. The only way the F-body is popular these is through collectors who simply want a piece of Americana and want to be like John Wayne.

I'm sorry to tell it like it is. I've owned F-Bodies for the past 22 years. And I try to give respect back when it's given. But the GTO is heads and shoulders above the F-Body in every way that counts in the real world. If it were all about drag racing speed, I would of bought a first gen RX-7 and stuffed 350 hp of V-8 into it. Voila!! a low 11 second car for under $8000

Last edited by 2edybrd; 01-06-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 2edybrd
GTO is fat, boring and trying to catch up with the rest of the world, Huh? Sorry, The GTO as the Vauxhall and the Monaro has been a world class Sport Coupe for almost a decade. The car has had only praise and victory in practicaly every competition it's seen.

The F-body is laughed at all over the world. It doesn't even rate on the world stage. And never did. The only way the F-body is popular is through collectors who simply want a piece of Americana.
Purely your opinion. You have a right of been wrong. Have some facts? No. And for the record...Im not hating the GTO read my post, I said is a better car than any f-body. Where is this "world stage" you talk about?? Clown
Old 01-06-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my dislike toward the gto is for numerous reasons but im not gonna take it out on the people who drive them. first my dislike is because i used to be an fbody owner, 2nd, gm said that they were gonna give the public what they wanted and for some reason i never saw anyones letters to gm saying they wanted a heavier or grand prix looking musclecar. why is it that gm's cars never come anywhere close to what their concepts are? with a little bit better looks and around the same weight as a camaro they for sure would not have been able to keep up with production. and price????...please, albeit i bought my camaro used and the price of a dollar is worth less nowadays i'm not gonna spend that kinda money on a car that only looks "OK". i bought my camaro when i was 19. granted the target consumer is different for the gto but where is the car im supposed to be the target of? im not gonna hate on the gto owners but i am gonna hate on gm. somewhere along the way they forgot how to run a business(my personal opinion of course) and now they are gonna run it into the ground. i think that for true performance enthusiasts, if the gto lost 400lbs, $4k, and got a little facelift, everyone would be on that like stickers and big wings on a honda. just my two cents.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Launching!

am I the only one on the planet that used to say in the late 90s that I wished theyd take the Grand Prix, put a V8 in it, make it rwd and call it the GTO, just like they did the LeMans in the 60s? This was when the Trans Am was still available. I always liked the T/As, but I wanted a new GTO. I always thought the T/As were just too edgy and plasticky (no offense) for my taste and thought the Grand Prixs had that subtle look to them. I guess GM was building the car just for me, so....thanks GM, you rock!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Purely your opinion. You have a right of been wrong. Have some facts? No. And for the record...Im not hating the GTO read my post, I said is a better car than any f-body. Where is this "world stage" you talk about?? Clown
It actually is true my friend. As much as I hate to admit it our Camaros and Firebirds just don't hold a candle to the Holdens. Most of the international press laughts at anything American, but they do love the Monaro. We drive a bucket of bolts in comparison to the competition.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Teching In

"CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG"
Old 01-06-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where is this "world stage" you talk about?? Clown
Here is one example, you have to watch the whole thing to understand.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...849&q=top+gear
Old 01-06-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roadmaster
It actually is true my friend. As much as I hate to admit it our Camaros and Firebirds just don't hold a candle to the Holdens. Most of the international press laughts at anything American, but they do love the Monaro. We drive a bucket of bolts in comparison to the competition.
i'd just like to add that the Monaro platform has ONLY come under the fire of critics HERE, in GTO trim. Everywhere else in the world, (as roadmaster said) it's got nearly as much of a reputation as the M3 for example.

for some reason (most) Americans simply aren't ready for change, plain and simple. There's nothing wrong with f-bodies, (I had two, I'll probably have another) but just because the GTO is the only 4-place RWD, V8 coupe in GMs current American inventory doesn't make it necessary to bash it because it isn't a camaro...

the car looks just fine...yes it's subtle but if any of the people who think it looks like a grand prix would actually LOOK AT IT instead of seeing "GTO" and automatically thinking "oh it's one of those grand prix looking things", that mindset might diminish a bit. the car doesn't share a single body part with the grand prix....ANYWHERE....the fact that it has kidney-bean pontiac grilles and round foglights seems to be the ONLY thing anyone who doesn't like it sees when they look at it. EVERY CURRENT PONTIAC has kidney bean grilles and half the cars on the road have round foglights, GET OVER IT.

now i'm not sure why I'm bothering with this because i honestly don't care what ignorant people think, but some of the stuff I hear about this car is just too funny/sad to ignore.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ohohsilverado
if the gto lost 400lbs, $4k, and got a little facelift, everyone would be on that like stickers and big wings on a honda.
I weighed my GTO tonight actually....3690 pounds. It's a pretty large car for a coupe, if you knocked 400 pounds off it somehow, it would weigh considerably LESS than an LS1 F-body and would drive/feel like a big tin can.

If they sold it for $29,000 instead of $33,000, people would STILL say it needs to be $4,000 cheaper....EVERYONE ALWAYS wants a car to be cheaper...

First of all, nobody pays sticker price anyway...secondly Find me a 400 HP RWD, V8 car that STICKERS for less than $33,000....

Quick Reply: Everyone seems to hate us.