Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least my A/C still works. Just a little joke
Old 01-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Banned

I like how the GTO does not sell that well. I have only seen one just driving around (of course have seen some at the track/shop). I like having a car you don't see everytime you turn onto a new street.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Since I still own a Z28, and love the car very much, I'll chime in.

My Z28 is hands down an inferior vehicle to my GTO, period.

I've owned the Z28 since 1994 and have racked up 39k miles. The car has minor bolt ons and runs a consistant 13.6's at around 102/103mph. I love the car! But it feels like an old car. It rattles, its loud, it isn't smooth, its tougher to drive, and I will NEVER get rid of it.

I don't see what the big argument is. Granted, it is nice to have both cars side by side in the same garage.

My GTO is hands down faster.
My GTO is hands down more comfortible.
My GTO is hands down more refined.

My Z28 is hands down louder.
My Z28 is hands down harder to drive.
My Z28 is hands down a different car.

Hundreds of thousands of 4th gen Camaros were built during 1993-2002.

I believe my GTO is 1 of 717 - in this case rarity is good.

I can daily drive the GTO and I feel like I'm in something as tight and refined as a mercedes or BMW. Then, on the weekends I drive the Z28 and it feels like I'm in a Z28.

If you don't like the GTO thats fine. If you don't like the Z28 thats fine.

But don't criticise either of the cars if you haven't driven both back to back to back.

Best,

Dustin
Old 01-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I dunno ... I like 'em, but I tend toward understated cars. That's why I drive a Formula rather than a Trans Am ... I've never been attracted to the super boy racer stripes and spoilers thing. I do admit to owning a Judge, however; but it's more of a historical/collecting thing. Both back in the day and now, my preference is for the standard GTO ... sleeker, more modest. The styling of the new one is not dazzling, but it works.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
I agree it should NEVER have been called a GTO]
once they put SS on a Cavalier you knew all hope was lost....someone just give me the seats out of a GTO and I'll go away.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:54 AM
Launching!

Alright, one more time...Anybody who says the GTO is falsely named or isnt like the original needs to do a little research. While the current GTOs are much more refined and plush than their past kin, they are very similar. In 64, they took a LeMans and stuck a big motor in a "boring" family coupe (yep, they had those back then) and the GTO was born. It was big, bad and very under the radar till you ran up on one. In 04, they took a car from au, that looks very similar to the domestic Grand Prixs, slapped in a big motor, and the new GTO was born. Its big, bad and very much a sleeper car (although i got more looks in my 04 than any vehicle ive ever owned, so many compliments on how it looked etc). Such is the history of the GTO, always a little "boring" in comparison to other more edgy cars.

Also, I can understand the animosity between fbody guys and GTO guys. As was mentioned before, due to the difference in cars, the owners will probly have different attitudes as well. Also, imagine how pissed Mustang owners would be if all the sudden after a sales slump, Ford tanked the Mustang and came back out w/ a slightly slower, less edgy lookin Thunderbird. Im not comparing the GTO to a Thunderbird, but I think yall get the point, theyd be pissed.

All in all, the fbodies are great cars and do what they are meant to do very well. The GTOs are great cars and do what they are meant to do very well.

Also, Mustangs suck and if I ever get my 05/06 GTO, Ill run any stock LT1 that wants to go...

edit: oh, and the quick solution to the kill sections "lean" not in favor of GTOs is simple...every GTO owner on here, whenever you race somebody, post it up, especially fbody kills. Id think thatd level the playing field. Carry on...
Old 01-06-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Junkie

i also have both an fbod and a gto and I really do love driving the GTO, its so much more refined than my z28 and it really drives really good. So damn smoot and the power is perfect for a daily driver. I get questions about my car all the time and compliments also. The looks also grew on me, when they first came out I was like everybody else thinking that GM had to be freakin kidding. but by the time the 05's came out I really liked the look of them. Plus I can put my son in the back seat of the GTO and he is comfortable and so is the person in front of him.

Really a kickass car, no rattles/squeaks. If I had to sum it up in one work it would be refined.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed ALOT of hatred to the GTO crowd lately... Not just from F-body owners, anybody that doesnt know the history of the car just see's it as a fast grand prix... and hates the car because it LOOKS boring...

PONTIAC should of made it look more impressive... instead of the almost sleeper image it has, I KNOW that's not the history that the car had back in the day... Maybe they should of never called it a "GTO", and revamped the exterior to make it more appeling.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:44 AM
12 Second Club

It is actually pretty funny how many Fbody people seem to hate the new goat. I have an 04 GTO and, despite what some on here think, I get quite a few looks and people wanting to look at the car. Many of the Fbody owners who look at it really like it. Even if you don't like the styling of the car, unless you have actually driven one, you really are speaking from an ignorant standpoint.

As far as speed, an equally prepped Fbody should be able to outrun a GTO. We are heavier and have to deal with an IRS rear suspension. That is just part of life. With that being said, I have shown a few Fbody owners what my tail lights look like. I have also had my *** handed to me by a few Fbody owners...some who want to buy a GTO! If you have been around racing for any lenght of time you should know that there is always someone faster than you on a given day.

I bought my 04 because they were giving them away when I was looking to buy...and I paid a little less than $24,000 for the last 6 speed within 1000 miles according to GM buypower. With the money I saved, I have been able to perform a few mods to ensure that I am respectable on the streets! If I wrecked it tomorrow, I would probably purchase something else. Not that I don't like the GTO, but I would like to have a solid rear axle to handle some more power.

At the end of the day, who cares who likes or dislikes our cars? If you like my car...thanks. If you dislike the GTO, what the **** are you doing in the GTO section? Can you not read the GTO at the top of the section? If any of ya'll want to check out an 04 goat and possibly play a little in the Shreveport, La area, shoot me a PM. I will be happy to let you see...drive...even race my goat.

Galen
Old 01-06-2006, 06:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think that some people don't understand what the intention of the car was. The car was designed to be an affordable alternative to BMW M3, MB C32 amg, etc...IMO it shines in this respect and the target market wasn't the F-Body crowd but someone who wanted a well built, sophisticated vehicle that was stylistically understated. I think my F-bod is great for what it is and the GTO is a great ride as well.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:36 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the GTO because it's understated, nice interior, and big engine. The GTO is the best daily driver I think one could get for those reasons. The GTO isn't a drag racing warrior, but a refined "grand tourer". It's an overall great car that doesn't do just one thing amazing - rather it goes for doing everything well.

I am so torn about what car I am going to purchase next. I haven't driven a LS2 yet, so I can't comment, but I did drive an 04 last year and at the time I couldn't part with my SS for one. As time has gone by, I think it's time I put the race car thing on hold and get something I can drive 365 days a year and also have some refinement since it would be a DD.

On the other hand, I love the shaking and rumbling Fbody. Throw some duals on there and some sticky tires and head to the track. That is the best thing ever IMO. The only thing is, that certainly doesn't make the best car to drive day and day out (well, I thought it was a couple years ago, but I've grown up a bit). If I could afford two cars, I'd have both, but I can't.

All in all, if you bash a GTO, you're ignorant. If you bash a F body, you're also ignorant. Two different cars for two different purposes. They both do what they were made to do very well, and that's something no one should be slandering.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Some people need to wash the sand out of their vaginas and realize that the GTO's and the F-Body's and the Vettes were all made for slightly different purposes and target markets. saying one sucks or one is better then the other MIGHT be true for YOU, but not for someone else. All of us have different ideas of whats important to us in a performance car. apples and oranges and all that. Just because someone doesn't like oranges doesn't mean oranges suck.

stop focusing on the differences and start focusing on the what we have in common. love of american V-8's, speed and technical expterise and knowledge of our vehicles.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:43 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KungFuHamster
i
but then my fears subsided, because what my mind pictures when i hear "GTO" and what GM gave us just do not mix. i dont think the GTO is ugly....it just doesnt make my pulse rise. it doesnt look mean...and yes, honestly the first 3-4 i saw i thought they were Grand Prix's until i got a closer look.

the GTO (like the deceased F twins) has a world class powerplant and drivetrain in a great car...it just needs something else. ive had many people say "id love to get a GTO...i just wouldnt want to be seen driving it. It looks too much like a Grand Am or Grand Prix." Different strokes for different strokes, but for someone like me who respects both the GM and Ford side of the house i just cant justify spending the $$ on the car when i know i wont be 100% happy (the looks).
Can't argue against that. First time I saw one I thought it was a Grand Prix for a few seconds. However, peeps (youngins especially) need to remember that the original GTO started out when Pontiac took a grocery getter, a 2-door Tempest, and threw a 389 in it. Plain Jane car, kick *** motor. Kinda the same as the '04 reincarnation ain't it?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:48 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by demonspeed
All in all, if you bash a GTO, you're ignorant. If you bash a F body, you're also ignorant. Two different cars for two different purposes. They both do what they were made to do very well, and that's something no one should be slandering.

Or, if you do bash it... at least bash it for the right reasons. Don't bash it cause it's not an F-body, it wasn't meant to fit that niche. Don't bash it cause it's not a Corvette, it was meant to fit that niche either.

I think it is a strong contender in its market segment.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
Can't argue against that. First time I saw one I thought it was a Grand Prix for a few seconds. However, peeps (youngins especially) need to remember that the original GTO started out when Pontiac took a grocery getter, a 2-door Tempest, and threw a 389 in it. Plain Jane car, kick *** motor. Kinda the same as the '04 reincarnation ain't it?
yeah it amazing how people get angry about GM using the GTO name when they seem to forget the real origins of the first GTO.

I own an 04 GTO, and even I admit the looks are so-so, but I didn't buy it to impress curb monkeys or teenagers. I like the sleeper/stealth look.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Not to add fuel to the fire but I've actually read every post in this thread and feel some points need to be made.

Looks: ok the holden body style is a sleeper, some may say bland or understated lets agree it doesn't take most people's breath away. As an 04 owner I'm fine with that. Some people want the look at me styling and some don't. I get a lot of looks but I believe its more from being a rare car nt a show stopper.

Heritage: As many said the original GTO was a true sleeper, big power in a relatively sleeper body. I think the 04 suits that just fine.

The GTO name: as mentioned above although the heritage is similar many people have an image associated with the GTO name plate. The GTO name invokes the 66 or later GTO's that were a little more radical than the early cars. My dad had a 66, I looked at the 04 when it came out and wasn't all that impressed until I drove it then I was hooked. I don't care if they called it the G8 or a big yellow shitbox I would have bought it either way.

Performance: numbers don't lie the 04's stock turned mid to high 13's easily with no mods. The 05 run high 12s and low 13's. When it comes to mods its anyone's game.

Handling: Since the F bodys didn't really get much of an update since the late 90's I would expect the GTO's which are a bit newer to have a bit of an advantage (save for the firehawks or modded fbodys) I'm still a little disappointed with the overall handling but that can be easily remedied.

Build numbers: As stated the Holden plant was at or near capacity and couldn't build any more than 18000 per agreement with the UAW in North America. There were also longer than anticipated delivery delays when shipping.

Sales: Sales were not that great when the 04's came out. I don't think anyone would argue. Who's to blame? GM for not advertising enough? Dealers for ludicrous markups? ($5k or more in some cases) Enthusiasts for paying the markup or finding out that the 400 HP LS2 would be in the 05? It was an entire clusterfuck of all three if you ask me.

Everyone has their own tastes and their own reasons for driving what they drive. I'm not here to say mine is better than yours I'm just explaining why I love my 04.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by radkon; 01-06-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Obviously I have a GTO. It's not an F-body. When I was younger I aspired to a Camaro (never liked the Firebird, too "look at me, look at me" for my taste). But then they died out. I always liked the styling of the previous gen Grand Prixs (HATE the current ones). When I heard the GTO on the website and then saw it in person at my dealer I had to have it, and I did. Traded in my less than one year old Chyrsler 300m Special to have my dealer's first 04 Goat. She and I have a lot of fun together and I've never received anything but respect in person. Most people (hell, I had a 10 year old kid on the sidewalk jumping up and down while tugging on his dad going "GTO! GTO!") that I encounter seem to know what it is and like it.

If you don't like my GTO, fine. I don't GIVE A DAMN. You don't have to drive it, and neither do I. But I CHOOSE TO and that's what matters.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xp3nd4bl3
The GTO is an import! Therefore all GTO drivers are ricers!
Damn right, and guess what, camaros are built in canada, Lousy canooks! lmfao
Old 01-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Well, mine turns heads everyday and i get more thumbs up from other people driving other manufacturers than i ever would have thought. it's yellow with tint and black pin stripes and the long tubes give it a nice rumble. In fact one guy at a mickey d's told me the car was the "ultimate cruiser" and was blown away when i showed him the interior. When i went home for christmas a kid in a mustang gt told me the car was awesome and hecouldn't wait till his brother got one so he could drive it. Everyone i have taken for a ride in it comes out with a big SEG and raving about it's performance and comfort. No one has ever said they didn't like the styling, in fact the only people that bitch about it are the fbody peeps on this site.

Really the F-body guys are just mad because there is no room in their engine compartments and it's easy as pie to work on the gto.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xp3nd4bl3
The GTO is an import! Therefore all GTO drivers are ricers!
Wow, I wasn't aware that they eat a lot of rice in Australia.

Quick Reply: Everyone seems to hate us.