Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Everyone seems to hate us.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTO = Australian for Musclecar.

I'll take MadMax over the fast and furious anyday.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Starrbuck
Wow, I wasn't aware that they eat a lot of rice in Australia.
They live in a time warp..
All their cars for the most part are rear wheel drive,they have things like the wagon ,pickup and even 4x4 versions of our GTO ( Ford as well has V8 rear drive cars of all types! ) ,they use their cars as work and tow vehicles and SUVs are pretty damn rare and the few you see are much smaller than the cruise ships people drive here..
Its kinda like a throwback to what it was like here in the 60s,70s before wrong wheel drive and battletank SUVs.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chaman
I would consider a "GTO Prix" but only after making sure of not developing an attitude like yours. They have not sold as expected, period. Why? because of their looks. I'm happy you like it but, sorry, they do not turn heads and you know this. I don't think they will last too long in production so, yeah, I guess that will make you special, envied by others...can i be your friend???

You are fvcking kidding me? They do not turn heads? HA! That is the biggest myth I have ever heard. You, sir, clearly do not drive a new GTO!

And that is all I, or any other GTO owner needs to say about that.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Default No love loss

My dad has an '05 Goat. I have an '00 WS6 Formula. We both like both cars. But he Loves his GTO, and I Love my F-body. Granted he thought the 04 was nasty looking and I agreed(apple doesn't fall far from the tree) but in the end we both Love our cars for our own reasons. He likes a bit more refined, less maintnance, upscale, and yes more powerful car. I like the muscular "I'm gonna eat you" look of the WS6 hood, and the feeling like I'm in a race car. The GTO feels like a truck in seating posture compared to the Formula, and I feel a lot more comfortable in my car. Thankfully for my dad who lives in Chicago he likes that it feels like a truck, compared to the Formula, when driving through the snow too!

But in the end I think it boils down to an attitude, and a lot of F-bodies give the driver that attitude of a younger, more brash, unharnessed, youthful pride. And I enjoy that feeling, along with the power of an LS engine mated to a 6-speed Hurst shifter. GTO drivers seem more content to "let it be" and just use their car with more discretion.

Unfortunately the truth is the F-bodies are gone for a while if not for good due to GM's financial crisis. The next gen. GTO may not be something we all like. And yes the F-bodies were discontinued because the factory was not operating at maximum capacity, but the factory was designed to produce 100,000 units a year, a LOT more than the Holden facility is producing, so even at only 50% capacity the F-bodies were selling much hotter than the GTO's, but GM simply overestimated exactly how much hotter. And the GTO is a replacement for the firebird, so it's pretty set in stone we wont see that car forever maybe, unless GM survives another 30 years and goes "retro" again.

I biased though, and as much as I like the GTO, and the occasional drive I get to take in it, a WS6 Formula is every bit as rare as most any GTO(little over 1100 produced in a 5-year span) and much more pleasurable to drive for me. It may not be quite as fast, nor as reliable but I Love my Formula, and I still like the GTO's!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Fast GTO
You are fvcking kidding me? They do not turn heads? HA! That is the biggest myth I have ever heard. You, sir, clearly do not drive a new GTO!

And that is all I, or any other GTO owner needs to say about that.

Outside of friends and co-workers that have come outside to see my GTO, I've never received a compliment and no one ever notices my car.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Firehawk, man I feel for ya. I've had guys cut cars off on the highway cutting across three lanes of rush hour traffic to scream questions and compliments to me at 80 mph. I've have guys yell from rooftops of three story buildings "Oh ****, that's a GTO!!"

I've been in a line of cars at 11 at night leavng Cecil and had a group of girls walk with the car to the gate asking questions.

I went to a get together at the beginning of last summer, I was the only GTO there with 12 other F-Bodies and a new C-6. After checking out the engine in the C-6, everyone hung out around the GTO. Hell, they even lined up to sit in the damn thing.

That's what I think is so wierd, I expressly bought the GTO because I liked the subtle styling of it. It's not so good looking in a photograph, but in person, something about it makes your hair stand on end.

I have never had a single bad comment about the looks of the GTO and it's been up and down the east coast from Pa to FLA and back a number of times.

I've run down sport bikes on the twisty mountain roads that parrallel route 81 through southern Virgina and Tennessee.

The only places I have EVER seen any bad remarks are pretty much on F-Body websites. It's like these guys have been personally insulted that the GTO came out instead of a new Camaro. But I've owned an '82 Berlinetta, an 85 Trans -Am, '86 IROC (5 Liter) a '96 Trans Am and a '99 Trans AM. I tell ya, I can't think I would ever go back to owning an F-Body, The GTO is just that good.

Now all this attention happened when the car first came out. It's quite possible, Firehawk, that people are just used to seeing them around.

I really, over the past six months, haven't gotten any comments on the car. Everyone's ready to see the next trick I guess. Speaking of which, I am very interested in seeing the Challenger concept this year. The 70 - 74 'Cuda and Challenger are cars I have been drooling over for decades, but never had the money to modernize one.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well every one else has said something so I might as well

I have owned 5 camaro's from 1970 to 1998 and now own an 05 GTO(throw in my 02 Z06 Vette as well)
as many intelligent people have already said they are different cars and so
on. I don't understand why any car person would bash another other than poking fun? WTF!!

I have had countless people compliment my GTO but who cares,
I am the one paying for the car! I bought it because it is a great DD and it has almost enough power for me, it handels very nice and is easy/fun to drive..

Man this is a new year and people "can't we all just get along"
Old 01-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Dude...it's the internet. We aren't supposed to get along.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I owned a '94 Z28 and then a '98 Z28 which was a consistent 12.0 car...

My mom bought an '04 GTO new and after driving it, my Z28, though considerably faster HONESTLY felt like a rattley bucket of bolts. I'm sorry, this is not F-body bashing, but it did.

I sold my Z28 in July and picked up my 6-speed '05 GTO the day after the Z was loaded on the truck. I still miss my LS1 sometimes and I plan to pick up another clean Z28 after college to start a race car project, but that said, there is NOTHING about the GTO that is in any way inferior to an f-body.

As for those "purists" who are outraged that they called an aussie-built car "GTO".....

.....Get the f**k over it....It's immature, lame whining. If you don't like the car you don't have to act like the fact that it has a GTO badge on it physically hurts you.

I'll bet you that if Pontiac continued selling a GTO from 1964 straight through till now without the 40 year hiatus, it would look EXACTLY as it does now.
For the life of me I can't see how you can be angry that this GTO....

...doesn't look this GTO....

BUT nobody was angry about the fact that THIS trans am....

....doesn't look ANYTHING like this Trans Am.....

Why??? because the T/A made evolved gradually from 1st to 4th gen. If it wasn't for the simple fact that the GTO took 4 decades off, NOBODY would be complaining about how the new model looks...

If you've never driven an '04-'06 GTO, your criticism flat out DOES NOT COUNT. I didn't like them either when my mom brought hers home....drove it once, and I was SOLD.

If you don't get it, then you don't get it......

Last edited by DeepBlueZ; 01-06-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The GTO is a real nice car. Great engine obviously, well built, much nicer interior than my Camaro(but I care very little for that personally, or I'd drive an M3 over both).

The styling of the GTO is a little bland/understated but so is my Z28(SS is more a head turner) in a lot of ways, neither is a Trans Am styling wise.

If the car was 300-400lbs lighter could fit larger wheels and tires with ease and had slightly more aggresive styling for $30K it would be perfect. I give it an 8/10 as it is now, same as an SRT8 Charger(SRT would be a 9 or 10/10 with less weight and two doors).

Hopefully GM will soon be producing GTO's, Camaros, Firebirds, Turbocharged Solstice's, Corvettes, etc...
Old 01-06-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the guy who started this thread though, quit acting all butt hurt because a couple of guys posted up kills with LT1's in the kill forum. It's ***** out nuts in there and lots of BS/**** talking goes on constatnly, you don't need to go crying to your compatriots about it.

The modded LT1 killing an 04 GTO is very believable by the way.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul

If the car was 300-400lbs lighter could fit larger wheels and tires with ease and had slightly more aggresive styling for $30K it would be perfect. I give it an 8/10 as it is now, same as an SRT8 Charger(SRT would be a 9 or 10/10 with less weight and two doors).

I'd agree completely except I have a feeling that if it were 300-400 pounds lighter, it probably WOULDN'T be as refined as it is. A lot of that weight is in the sound deadening, features and interior appointments.

however, using a little fiberglass for a body panel here and there wouldn't have hurt....
Old 01-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Actually, alot of the wieght is in the chassis and suspension components. These cars were designed to handle Australian roads. The control armas are VERY beefy.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2edybrd
Actually, alot of the wieght is in the chassis and suspension components. These cars were designed to handle Australian roads. The control armas are VERY beefy.

well yes that's true (the damn skidplate you have to take off to change the oil weighs almost 20 pounds) but the seats alone are something like 50 pounds a piece.

they could have trimmed it up with some non-metallic body panels, less comfortable seats, less sound-deadening and lighter duty suspension components, but that wouldn't have been the point would it?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Exactly...if I wanted a stripped down, loud inside, hear the suspension clunk, pebbles/water/whatever hitting in the rear wheels wells, transmission banging into the well kind of car...BUT great weekend pound on it like you stole it...I would of stayed with the Trans Am. If I stiill had the Jeep to drive all week long, I probably would still have the Trans Am, And it would be deep into the elevens by now.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:56 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 05_GTO
The hardcore Fbody guys don't like anything but Fbodies. Either way everyone that has taken a spin in my car loves it. Yes it's an improt so what? It's a better built car, with nicer interior IMO. Yes it weighs 400 or so pounds more than the Fbodies, but I would rather have a steel car than a plastic/fiberglass car anyways. The best part is when I shut my door my windows don't rattle! Not saying I don't like Fbodies, I just don't see myself going back to one after having this car.
I would consider myself a hardcore Fbody guy, I`ve had 5 Fbodys (4thgen) but I also love the new GTO. The GTO is a very comfortable car, handles quite good and has the same LSx power that the Fbodys have. I have gotten many looks with the goat and get alot of thumbs-up. I drive both the 05 GTO and my 02 Formula as daily drives. The GTO is a nicer car to drive but I like the Formula better maybe cause I`m so used to that kind of car after 12 years of driving one.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ

I'll bet you that if Pontiac continued selling a GTO from 1964 straight through till now without the 40 year hiatus, it would look EXACTLY as it does now.
For the life of me I can't see how you can be angry that this GTO....

...doesn't look this GTO....

BUT nobody was angry about the fact that THIS trans am....

....doesn't look ANYTHING like this Trans Am.....

Why??? because the T/A made evolved gradually from 1st to 4th gen. If it wasn't for the simple fact that the GTO took 4 decades off, NOBODY would be complaining about how the new model looks...
Great minds, think alike! Dude, I've been telling everyone that and people just tell me i'm crazy and they don't see the it. Their other excuse is that for the reason for the trans am is cause it's on the same body platform. I call it BS, same goes for all mustang drivers.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Banned

I have no excuse for or defend and don't care for any similarity to old vs. new GTOs, I went with the GTO cause I wanted 1. V8 holden 2. a sedan/coupe with a LS1. The GTO in some aspects is easier to work on then an Fbody, i'm lazy sorry. I like the holden look more so I put monaro bumpers on it.

The LS1 has evolved itself since 1997, the benifits are in the GTO.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

well hmm I feel like a wasted 10 minutes of my life now..
Screw every one I got the car to be different.
As for my car 04 M6 hmmm 12.90 with just Dr's and a home made cat back 11.72 with a 100 shot all at 3900 lbs.. and the looks lets just say It can carry it's self at any car show!!!
Attached Thumbnails Everyone seems to hate us.-trun-sig.jpg   Everyone seems to hate us.-ty2.jpg  
Old 01-06-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Starrbuck
Wow, I wasn't aware that they eat a lot of rice in Australia.
Tsk tsk, time to do some research

Australia has been growing rice for 80 years

Rice growing regionsRice was first grown in Australia in the early 1920's - near the townships of Leeton and Griffith in the New South Wales Riverina. Today the rice industry contributes to supporting 63 regional towns - most located in the temperate climate of southern NSW. There are approximately 2500 rice farms in Australia producing around 1.3 million tonnes of rice per year. Most rice farms are owned and operated by Australian families.

Australian rice feeds up to 40 million people daily

Rice production is one of the most important agricultural activities on the planet as more than half the people in the world eat rice at least once a day. Australia produces enough rice to feed almost 40 million people a meal a day for 365 days and Australian rice is exported to 72 countries.

Outstanding worldwide reputation

Australian rice is recognised worldwide for its high quality and is demanded by the higher priced international markets. Each year the industry earns around $800 million in revenue, which includes nearly $500 million from value-added exports.
http://www.rga.org.au/

Quick Reply: Everyone seems to hate us.