Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Everyone seems to hate us.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Rok...I am a Pontiac guy too..If They made a "JUDGE" version, I would be all over it like fly's on ****..haha..Just watched your video, Pretty cool car & it sounds mean as hell..Seems like all the GTO's i see are all stock & are very tame sounding..
Old 01-07-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonlee
why should you care if they get discontinued? you already have one... right?
Yes. I am just talking about the general concensus of the population that is interested in these types of cars. Not me.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Launching!

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/talsma/gt...ay/trakday.htm
couple video compilations on this link
Old 01-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Teching In

This hole thread sums up GM's problems. PERCEPTION PERCEPTION

People love the F-body and it was built here. NOT
The Mustang beats it(The Car Mags say so). NOT
Even had a several neighbors chime in on this at a party.
I tried to tell the facts but the Car mags already did their damage. Not one of them even own a performance car.
It weigh's a ton.( But that's okay for the new Charger or even the BMW M6. BMW even put carbon fiber roof on and it still weighs 3700)
Well it doesn't look like a old GTO( Wasn't suppose to)..
It looks to much like a Pontiac(No DUH)
Well it's a GM. You remember the 70's & 80's.( Yeah I also remember Toyota Trucks Bed rotting as I set there drinking a beer. A slew of Hondas and Toyota's engines bending their valves after there timing belts went south.
Have to love interference engines. People always complaining about how how foreign auto parts were when they had to do any repair)
Old 01-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Launching!

I had a guy from work in the Goat the other day when a kid in a new eclipse passes me by throwing a rev and looking all thuggy.

Here's the conversation we had.
Him: "Hey that's the new Eclipse. They're fast."
Me: " yeah, they put down some spunky power."
Him "they're faster than this."
Me "No, not really.
Him: "I don't know man, I was looking at one of those at the dealer the other day and the salesman said that with the power to weigt on the Eclipse vs. the GTO, the Eclipse has the speed advantage."

Meanwhile, the Eclipse is in front of me merging onto a highway, jumping the car and jerking the wheel. I speed up up and get behind him. When I get behind him, he floors it. I was waiting in second gear and mash the gas, kicking the rear end out all the way up the ramp (Gotta love snow tires)

Passenger: "UH, Uh..."

the highway on ramp merges and the Eclipse whips into the middle lane. I'm done feathering second, run it out and shift into third---my clutch starts slipping---19* weather on a cold clutch will do that.

Passenger: "Jesus Christ!!! your at 7000 rpm's!!! (Sorry Padre, I have to report it thet way it is.)
The Eclipse gets past literally like he's standing still. He won't come up next to me at all now.

Me: "Let explain to you a little bit about Torque."

Passenger: " Uh, Uh , Uh..."

It's amazing to me the hype that people so willingly buy into.
But I feel good about that day, I got to demonstrate conclusively to two people the difference between hype and fact.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dan
Thanks Rok...I am a Pontiac guy too..If They made a "JUDGE" version, I would be all over it like fly's on ****..haha..Just watched your video, Pretty cool car & it sounds mean as hell..Seems like all the GTO's i see are all stock & are very tame sounding..
Thanks Dan, I put a lot of thought and reading about what I wanted my Goat to sound like. I didn't want that high pitch sound you get with some Cat Backs, and found the Flowmaster had just the sound I was looking for. Then when I added the Kooks it was like music to my ears. It's the closest I could come to the sound of my GTO's from the past. F-Bodies naturally have that deep growl and when a Cam is added, it's pure magic. I love the lope from my cam as you can hear it here:http://videos.streetfire.net/player....6-579C9EF3CB6F As I'm sure you love the way your cars sound too......

~ROK~
Old 01-08-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Say goodbye to the GTO! LOL! Get a load of this and scream in agony. If GM makes these and look remotely like this one, the GTO will be no more. F-body dead huh?? BS, its just starting. (even if obviously this is not a true f-body platform)

Have a nice day!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chaman
Say goodbye to the GTO! LOL! Get a load of this and scream in agony. If GM makes these and look remotely like this one, the GTO will be no more. F-body dead huh?? BS, its just starting. (even if obviously this is not a true f-body platform)

Have a nice day!
If they make those I just might get one. Though they will pretty much share the same motor/drivetrain as the GTO. From what I know the new Camaro will have IRS.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Launching!

No body ever said the F-Body was dead. Actually that would be the Z-Body. And it would be built probably around 2009 using the same Zeta platform the 2007 GTO will have.

So, the next Camaro will be following the next GTO by a couple of years, but ONLY if GM gets decent feedback from the auto shows, which, I'm sure it will, But still if the feedback is good and GM goes ahead the Camaro looks to be a re-bodied GTO in 2009...OOPS!!!

No, No, YOU have a nice day
Old 01-08-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Im not much into drag racing so a IRS would be nice. I heard they coul be built in a shortened platform of the Cadillac CTS...I dont know but looks sick!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman

Have a nice day!
I must say that looks sweet but gm is to dumb to build it.They have to wait to see what kind of reaction they will get at the autoshows just build the dam thing
Old 01-08-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

To me this is their shot to reclaim pony car supremacy...don't see any other option but to build it. Of course GM is been known to act like idiots lately....
Old 01-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

If they went ahead to build the GTO, they will build this car
Old 01-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Banned

The only problem I see is that the production car will not look like the one there. The one in the pic looks pretty good and has nice big wheels in the back as well.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

It will not look exactly like that one of course. Possibly the wheels will be smaller and a the rear view mirrors will change but overall the essence is there. Bad boy, muscle car stance and looks. This will be a car for enthusiasts and will fill the void left by the new GTO looks.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:41 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2edybrd
I had a guy from work in the Goat the other day when a kid in a new eclipse passes me by throwing a rev and looking all thuggy.

Me "No, not really.
Him: "I don't know man, I was looking at one of those at the dealer the other day and the salesman said that with the power to weigt on the Eclipse vs. the GTO, the Eclipse has the speed advantage."
What I would have said if I was the driver:
LS1speed: Get the FU*K out of the car.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Launching!

yeah, i doubt the production version will look like that. GM has a gift of ****** up the vehicles from concept to production. Remember the original SS truck concept? see what the actual SSs look like and how they perform.... yeah, you see what i mean.

its a great lookin concept, but i doubt it means the end for the GTO.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Teching In

You know, it’s funny. This is the second misunderstood car I’ve had. My first was a 1999 Taurus SHO. I know, I know, on this site many will laugh but that was a great car. It had plenty of pep, nice seating and plenty of room. The problem was that many were like “SH…what?” They simply missed the memo.

The same goes for the GTO, my wife and I love ours. What a nice refined sports car with a silky smooth powerful V8. If the rest of the world can’t figure it out, f*ck em. I’ve defended my purchase many times. My car has been called names from a “Cavalier with a V8” or “foreign piece of sh*t” to a “****-strong Grand Prix”. Personally I don’t care, I love our GTO and will for quite some time. If the rest of the country is I the dark, let them be, they can be enlightened by my taillights when I blow their doors off.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Having owned a 1970 gto and numerous 2nd gen ta's I will say this...the dislike goes both ways. Many a time I have been treated like a 2nd class citizen by early gto owners when in my 79 ta. When in my 70 gto I have been treated like crap by ta guys.
So this is nothing new. What is unique is that the new gto did not evolve from the older style. While the new gto is a remarkeable car.. sadly it is a car that came 10 years too late and with bland styling to boot.
Retro at GM is a bad word. They got their heads so far up their *** that they can't see that retro is where it is at. Ford and Mopar is cleaning house. If Mopar re-releases the challenger..watch out.
Pontiac would have had much better luck with the new gto had they called it something else....anything else, GP, catalina..whatever. The gto nameplate is sacred in pontiac circles and to slap it on a foreign built car speaks load for the brass at GM.
They could care less about the history of the nameplate. They greedily thought it would give GM the much needed boost it desires. It obviously backfired.
I'll be honest that I am a poncho purist and it chaps my *** to think that pontiac hasn't built any true poncho engines since 1979. IMHO pontiac is nothing more then a styling division of GM. But it is what it is. They should just retire the whole pontiac nameplate and let it die in peace instead of butchering it to death.
No wonder GM is in trouble.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ws6gluemaker
Not that GM stopped Fbody production but that the GTO is the car that could have been....
It was a car that already was, the Holden Monaro. They didn't have the cash to deisgn a new car so they imported a RWD and slightly changed the looks to make it have the Pontiac traits. See GM was and still is too busy spending resources on trucks/suvs because of their higher profit margins (or what were..lol) and since they dumped the F-body in 2002 they brought over a very limited production/import vehicle to those that wanted a new RWD GM with a LS1/LS2 until they decided to get back into state side designed RWD performance cars. It really itsn't that hard of a concept to grasp.

Quick Reply: Everyone seems to hate us.