Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Everyone seems to hate us.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2edybrd

**edit** oh yeah, The stereo could have more bass and fill the cabin a bit more.

play with the gain **** on the bass amplifier in the trunk...
Old 01-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Launching!

I did, the experience was...satisfactory. It's alot better, although I do get a bit of overheating on long trips. Iwould still like to feel that bass punch in the chest a bit more.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Wow, HTRDLNCN, good stuff. Well-said!

By the way, I just read that Edmunds thinks the "new" Camaro is way off:

It's all you could ask for when it comes to retro design rehashes. There's only one problem: Unlike the Challenger concept that looked ready for showrooms, this Camaro is nowhere near production spec — and it might not look quite so tough when it is.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Launching!

all the show cars look different once they become real cars,,lots of safety regulations,production cost reduction and other things that come in after product is first shown at car shows.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:20 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
I know its hard to erase people memory but if you can try just think if you never heard of a GTO and allo f a sudden Chevy said they were coming out with a plain looking midsize car with IRS,350- 400hp,siz speed for $30k .. I think a LOT more people would have been excited regardless the looks.
I think they did the right thing by giving Pontiac a car that was "spirited" as Chevrolet still had the Corvette, but I'd agree with you that I think the buying public would probably have been more accepting with the Middle Eastern verision - aka: the Lumina. Sure, it would have sparked debate simply because I don't think people associate the Lumina with anything good (maybe some NASCAR people do and those who were in love with the Z34 of the early 90's), but it would have been a better fit IMO. They could have actually had two versions. A base with the LS1, and a SS version with the LS2. This way, we could of had an appx $25k car with the LS1, or go with the $30k for the LS2, split bumper, scooped hood, bigger brakes, and 18's. What do I know though

Old 01-11-2006, 06:15 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

And for everyone bashing on the Camaro/Firebird... On Yahoo this morning, the most searched about topic/item was the Camaro concept. And you guys think no one cares...
Old 01-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Teching In

all the show cars look different once they become real cars,,lots of safety regulations,production cost reduction and other things that come in after product is first shown at car shows.
Of course, but the guy at Edmunds' thinks that the Challenger is much closer to being ready than the Camaro.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
And for everyone bashing on the Camaro/Firebird... On Yahoo this morning, the most searched about topic/item was the Camaro concept. And you guys think no one cares...
I never said I didn't care and I don't think I've bashed the older cars too much. And researching on Yahoo! doesn't necessarily translate into spending $$$ on a new car. It's just browsing for a car that is years away from actual possible availability.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:42 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

It doesn't matter. Many people say there is no interest, etc etc. That's just one site that is browsed by millions. It's the same everywhere. There is interest, wheither it be good or bad, but it's still a popular topic.

And yes, the Challenger is much closer to be production ready than the Camaro - but what does that have to do with the fact that people are interested when the nay-sayers said it was dead?
Old 01-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
It doesn't matter. Many people say there is no interest, etc etc. That's just one site that is browsed by millions. It's the same everywhere. There is interest, wheither it be good or bad, but it's still a popular topic.

And yes, the Challenger is much closer to be production ready than the Camaro - but what does that have to do with the fact that people are interested when the nay-sayers said it was dead?
Anybody who thinks that a new car with the name Camaro would be dead is a goofball, IMHO.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

dunno,,when I picked up my car in NJ on drive back to Fla I had people asking about it everytime I filled up and even had an big rig driver STOP traffic to ask me about the car.. hasnt stopped since,,in fact its a lot more than I expected.
Some people go for class , some go for the "show off" style looks..
I choose class.
I agree it should NEVER have been called a GTO,,that bring back memories of breadbox shaped cars which this definately is not. They should have kept the Holden name and the Holden front bumper and not stuck all the silly pontiac crap on it.
I absolutely agree with what you say. Should have called it something else (Monaro would have been fine) and should have kept the original styling, not made the car a Pontiac clone car.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
2003 was the first year in decades that GM didn't make a RWD performance-oriented car other than the corvette, which is too expensive for most anyway...I think that had a lot to do with why we got the Goat in '04.
That may vary well be the case. The fact is the Camaro and Firebird hadn't been totally redesigned since the 1993 model year. Only minor revisions had been introduced past that. Even when the LS1 was introduced to those cars, it was little more than cosmetic upgrades and shoving the Corvette's standard power plant into the F-Body.

So GM was a little out of practice in designing performance RWD coupes. The Monaro fit. It could be made to look like a run of the mill Pontiac, and by keeping them option all the same, (for the most part.) alot of the headaches were taken out of shipping. Fewer variants also makes them easier to maintain.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Default GTO look

to everyone that think GTO doesn't look good. Honda Civic is everywhere, to me it's the ugliest car out there but it sells a lot . With civic people hook them up nicely, they have some what of imagination. To me you could do so much to the GTO to make it look like whatever you whant , all you need is determination, Here is an example!!!
Attached Thumbnails Everyone seems to hate us.-s-curve-profile_09.gif  
Attached Images   
Old 01-20-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Wheels are hot....yellow "stripe"...not. Looks good but still looks like a decent "grand prix"...sorry. I think its on the edge of almost looking bad...not mu cup of tea but its just my opinion....
Old 01-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Default Good Look at FRont

Little more pic of this GTO 2004
Attached Images   
Old 01-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Teching In

The originality of the GTO comes from the Grand Prix. Back in 64 they Had Grand Prix LeMans and then GTO, and in 1964-66 the LeMans edition came with the same body as the GTO , later in 68 had similar body to the olds442.

Last edited by GTOTitoLS1; 01-20-2006 at 12:10 PM. Reason: date
Old 01-20-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chaman
Wheels are hot....yellow "stripe"...not. Looks good but still looks like a decent "grand prix"...sorry. I think its on the edge of almost looking bad...not mu cup of tea but its just my opinion....
Well, the car's looks aren't really why alot of us like the car. I was an F-Body owner for a number of years. I still think the 1998-2002 Trans-AM's are one of the best looking cars EVER built on the planet. Period. After driving the GTO, there is no comparison. The GTO is superior in almost every way. There is a nod tword handling on the F-Body, and of course the looks. The fit, finish and interior are all so much better. Plus, the refinement in the transmission, engine and suspension make it a superior car for daily use.

The aftermarket has also picked up quite a bit for the GTO recently. This is good also.

The car really does share lines with the Grand Prix, G6, Grand AM and even has a back end not to disimilar to the Cavalier and the Cobalt. Still the car has clean looks, and when put next to any of the above cars, looks quite a bit different due to size/porportions and of course underneath the body and inside, it's a whole other animal.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Teching In

I think that both sides of the fence are missing the point here...we are all "GM brothers", some of our rides came from up north and some came across the pond, I bet that somewhere out there you could find one that was actually stuck together here in the states,but at the end of the day, GM still got all of our money!!! I've had my TA for almost a year now and didn't think I could ever like a car as much as I like my TA, until, my wife comes home with an '04 Goat! The car is sweet...it's for sure a quick ride to the grocery store!!
Incase you old school folks haven't noticed, no car looks the same as it did 20 years ago!!! Just because they don't look the same doesn't mean they're not worthy of some respect!! Afterall, it does have a GM part number on the key just like your cars do!! I remember when they restyled the Camaro/Firebirds, everyone hated the change but now they are legends just like the previous body styles. Everyone is entitled to their personal preference but the GTO does deserve a little respect! My parting words: hail to the GM gods...let's try and keep them afloat!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by HOT98TA
I think that both sides of the fence are missing the point here...we are all "GM brothers", some of our rides came from up north and some came across the pond, I bet that somewhere out there you could find one that was actually stuck together here in the states,but at the end of the day, GM still got all of our money!!! I've had my TA for almost a year now and didn't think I could ever like a car as much as I like my TA, until, my wife comes home with an '04 Goat! The car is sweet...it's for sure a quick ride to the grocery store!!
Incase you old school folks haven't noticed, no car looks the same as it did 20 years ago!!! Just because they don't look the same doesn't mean they're not worthy of some respect!! Afterall, it does have a GM part number on the key just like your cars do!! I remember when they restyled the Camaro/Firebirds, everyone hated the change but now they are legends just like the previous body styles. Everyone is entitled to their personal preference but the GTO does deserve a little respect! My parting words: hail to the GM gods...let's try and keep them afloat!!!
Agree 100%!!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xp3nd4bl3
The GTO is an import! Therefore all GTO drivers are ricers!
The heart (LS1/2) is all american, baby!!!!!!!!!!!

oh and btw, all f-bods are CANADIAN, bitches!

Quick Reply: Everyone seems to hate us.