Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Everyone seems to hate us.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 05:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty unbiased on this one so Im just gonna tell my honest opinion....

To me the WS6 is one of the most beutiful/agressive looking cars GM ever built...

The problem is that it's just a little too OVERDONE..From the front I absolutely love it..Looks kinda like my C5 only not as wide and not as low but with a lotta nice hood lines and well.. IT'S JUST PLAIN INTIMIDATING..

but from the rear end the OVERDONE really comes into play...A HONEY GRILLED REAR BREAK LIGHT???? AND A PRETTY FUNKY LOOKING SPOILER ARE THE TWO ELEMENTS THAT COULD NEVER ALLOW ME TO OWN ONE...

The GTO on the other hand looks no were near as good....I thought my 98 camaro with the SS hood was bland looking compared to the WS6...But the GTO seriously isnt even in the same league...

The GTO dosent look at all -W_I_D_E-....And it dosent look low eighter..Too big turn offs for me when it comes to FAST cars...

The front end has nonthing that seperates it from any other pontiacs, and the rear end...While very clean looking. Still has no place on a 400 HP GM car..

If I had never seen eighter car before the WS6 would be 10 times more beautiful..As a matter of fact while typing this I NOW remember seeing my first WS6 on the show room floor. It was black on Black and the car looked like a 50'000 $ car to me..

The first time I saw a GTO I kept thinking..Is that it or a grand prix..I know that sounds cliche...But thats seriously what I was thinking...It wasnt an ugly car by any means..

But comparing it to my standard of what a High HP modern day GM car should look like ( my C5 ) it was just FAR to plain looking...

So once again If I had never seen A WS6 before or a GTO I would easily think the WS6 was more attractive and a car I would want to own over the GTO off just looks alone..

The problem is that Ive seen THOUSANDS of different FireBirds of all different colors and visual mods ( theres even a guy on the island with a neon orange custom one)...

In my hole life not counting when I worked at a GM dealership and seeing the GTO's on the floor...

Ive seen 10-15 GTO's actually driving....

Now many of the GTO guys are thinking right now..See how rare our car is..Thats why there special. cas you dont see many of them at meets and so forth...

Guys you dont see them cas there hard to sell....I saw 3 different colored 05's sit on the show room floor for MONTHS....

So the point is that when people who are in the no...Do see a GTO. They will probaly react.

I know that if I were at a car show and there were many Fbodies and C5's all in a row and one bone stock GTO... i would go check out the GTO as well before the other cars ( assuming I never worked at a GM dealer of course)..

Ive seen many C5's and even more F bodies...The ones at the show arent gonna have much of anything new I havent already seen or read about...

But the GTO's havent been out that long and havent sold very well. So I havent seen many of them and would bypass those cars ( wich I think look a LOT better) and go check out the GTO.

Dosent mean the GTO is better looking..it's just 7 years newer than my C5 desighn and 6 years newer than the LS1 Fbody desighns.

Somebody please post 3 different pics of a C5...A WS6...And a 04/05 GTO..

All viewed as directly from the front as possible....This will clearly show that the GTO isnt in the same league visualy..

The GTO IS NOT UGLY......But it's not a beautiful car or a very agressive looking car.....When you have 400 HP you have to be one or the other to sell well...

This is the biggest problem with the GTO....Why did GM give a 400 HP car such a beautiful interior and such a plain EXterior....

It just dosent make sense to me....The average buyer of a GM 400 HP car in the 30 grand range isnt buying the car for the interior...There buying the car for speed and stlye points....

The only conclusion i ever came to was that Pontiac got criticized so much for there cars having over the top body add ons that they decided to give everyone what they thought they wanted...

But man the GTO was just the wrong car to do it too.

But to get back on topic I would still rather have a GTO than a WS6....Other than looks ( wich is a huge part) The GTO if faster by atenth or so through the 1/4 mile ( thats only my honest opinion and Im not trying to start a war)...The interior is much much much nicer...I thought it was just as nice looking as the interior in my C5....I wont even debate wich is nicer looking..But I do know they both look a heck of a lot better than my 98 camaro ever did. The ride in the 05's was 10 times better than my camaro and the handling numbers on the skid pad and through the 600 ft slalom are also better than the fbodys ( amazing considering the weight differance)...

So IMHO the GTO is the better car..But the WS6 looks much better. MUCH MUCH BETTER....

I beleave the guy saying he gets a lotta looks in his GTO..saying he almost caused accidents is a pretty silly stament though ( even if it is true)...

A viper dosent almost cause accidents. and thats a car that looks much better than any on the before mentioned vehicles by a long shot ( pre 03 Vipers of course)....

It's just really hard for the GTO right now....No one really seems to like/love the styling..From magazines to other car enthuiast..

Everyone seems to think it's OK...But OK looks dosent sell 400Hp cars.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette
Im pretty unbiased on this one so Im just gonna tell my honest opinion....

To me the WS6 is one of the most beutiful/agressive looking cars GM ever built...

The problem is that it's just a little too OVERDONE..From the front I absolutely love it..Looks kinda like my C5 only not as wide and not as low but with a lotta nice hood lines and well.. IT'S JUST PLAIN INTIMIDATING..

but from the rear end the OVERDONE really comes into play...A HONEY GRILLED REAR BREAK LIGHT???? AND A PRETTY FUNKY LOOKING SPOILER ARE THE TWO ELEMENTS THAT COULD NEVER ALLOW ME TO OWN ONE...

The GTO on the other hand looks no were near as good....I thought my 98 camaro with the SS hood was bland looking compared to the WS6...But the GTO seriously isnt even in the same league...

The GTO dosent look at all -W_I_D_E-....And it dosent look low eighter..Too big turn offs for me when it comes to FAST cars...

The front end has nonthing that seperates it from any other pontiacs, and the rear end...While very clean looking. Still has no place on a 400 HP GM car..

If I had never seen eighter car before the WS6 would be 10 times more beautiful..As a matter of fact while typing this I NOW remember seeing my first WS6 on the show room floor. It was black on Black and the car looked like a 50'000 $ car to me..

The first time I saw a GTO I kept thinking..Is that it or a grand prix..I know that sounds cliche...But thats seriously what I was thinking...It wasnt an ugly car by any means..

But comparing it to my standard of what a High HP modern day GM car should look like ( my C5 ) it was just FAR to plain looking...

So once again If I had never seen A WS6 before or a GTO I would easily think the WS6 was more attractive and a car I would want to own over the GTO off just looks alone..

The problem is that Ive seen THOUSANDS of different FireBirds of all different colors and visual mods ( theres even a guy on the island with a neon orange custom one)...

In my hole life not counting when I worked at a GM dealership and seeing the GTO's on the floor...

Ive seen 10-15 GTO's actually driving....

Now many of the GTO guys are thinking right now..See how rare our car is..Thats why there special. cas you dont see many of them at meets and so forth...

Guys you dont see them cas there hard to sell....I saw 3 different colored 05's sit on the show room floor for MONTHS....

So the point is that when people who are in the no...Do see a GTO. They will probaly react.

I know that if I were at a car show and there were many Fbodies and C5's all in a row and one bone stock GTO... i would go check out the GTO as well before the other cars ( assuming I never worked at a GM dealer of course)..

Ive seen many C5's and even more F bodies...The ones at the show arent gonna have much of anything new I havent already seen or read about...

But the GTO's havent been out that long and havent sold very well. So I havent seen many of them and would bypass those cars ( wich I think look a LOT better) and go check out the GTO.

Dosent mean the GTO is better looking..it's just 7 years newer than my C5 desighn and 6 years newer than the LS1 Fbody desighns.

Somebody please post 3 different pics of a C5...A WS6...And a 04/05 GTO..

All viewed as directly from the front as possible....This will clearly show that the GTO isnt in the same league visualy..

The GTO IS NOT UGLY......But it's not a beautiful car or a very agressive looking car.....When you have 400 HP you have to be one or the other to sell well...

This is the biggest problem with the GTO....Why did GM give a 400 HP car such a beautiful interior and such a plain EXterior....

It just dosent make sense to me....The average buyer of a GM 400 HP car in the 30 grand range isnt buying the car for the interior...There buying the car for speed and stlye points....

The only conclusion i ever came to was that Pontiac got criticized so much for there cars having over the top body add ons that they decided to give everyone what they thought they wanted...

But man the GTO was just the wrong car to do it too.

But to get back on topic I would still rather have a GTO than a WS6....Other than looks ( wich is a huge part) The GTO if faster by atenth or so through the 1/4 mile ( thats only my honest opinion and Im not trying to start a war)...The interior is much much much nicer...I thought it was just as nice looking as the interior in my C5....I wont even debate wich is nicer looking..But I do know they both look a heck of a lot better than my 98 camaro ever did. The ride in the 05's was 10 times better than my camaro and the handling numbers on the skid pad and through the 600 ft slalom are also better than the fbodys ( amazing considering the weight differance)...

So IMHO the GTO is the better car..But the WS6 looks much better. MUCH MUCH BETTER....

I beleave the guy saying he gets a lotta looks in his GTO..saying he almost caused accidents is a pretty silly stament though ( even if it is true)...

A viper dosent almost cause accidents. and thats a car that looks much better than any on the before mentioned vehicles by a long shot ( pre 03 Vipers of course)....

It's just really hard for the GTO right now....No one really seems to like/love the styling..From magazines to other car enthuiast..

Everyone seems to think it's OK...But OK looks dosent sell 400Hp cars.

So you're saying in your "hole life', you don't like "eighter car"?

Got schooling??
Old 01-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Grand Nationals and T-Types are plain looking (although I love them) and did not sell great until it was announced they were going to be discontinued, nor were they produced in large numbers. Are we gonna start bashing them too? Rare is not a bad thing guys...
Old 01-23-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

The GTO's styling appeals to different crowds of car enthusiasts. Still, given the Pepsi challenge by most people, I think the F-Body will get noticed more. If for no other reason, than the styling is much more bold. It will catch more attention because they look like nothing else.

I got alot of attention in the Firehawk, yet I've recieved next to none in the GTO.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by glennster
Camaro yes,GTO no.It dosent sell now and they sure the hell don't need several V-8 RWD coupes.Goodnight GTO.
Sorry pal, not your choice, the decision on the GTO and Camaro is already made. 80% on the Impala and about 50/50 on the GP!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glennster
Camaro yes,GTO no.It dosent sell now and they sure the hell don't need several V-8 RWD coupes.Goodnight GTO.
I'm sorry...but this is still an incorrect statement...The GTO sold perfectly fine in '05 ('04 was a little slow but nearly all the '05s are spoken for now).

I don't understand why everybody seems to equate the fact that Holden only shipped us 11000+ GTOs this year with poor sales. The dealership I bought my car from was getting 1 or 2 new '05s for stock every couple weeks and they never had more than maybe 6 or 7 on the lot at any given time.

You can't sell something you don't have. the fact that a few people on here have seen GTOs sit on the lot for "months at a time" at certain dealers doesn't mean anything. There was a dealer by me that I checked out when i was shopping for one. they had a grey 6-speed and told me I'd be paying sticker or I wouldn't be buying it. That particular car sat on the lot for MONTHS. Meanwhile, the dealer I bought from treated me half respectfully, offered me a decent deal initially, and later agreed to my counter offer....guess what, they sold a midnight blue 6-speed before it even had the vinyl sun protectors torn off it...

the thing about a low-production, special-interest type car like the GTO is some dealers think people will pay as much as they want to charge for them. As a result you get these places that refuse to deal and consequently leave 3 or 4 beautiful new GTOs stagnating on the lot. It has nothing to do with the car itself in many cases.

for example, there are only 566 midnight blue 6-speed, 17" wheel-optioned GTOs EVER made and including mine, I know of FIVE that reside within 15 minutes of my house. Personally, the goat seems to be doing just fine here on Long Island.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
I got alot of attention in the Firehawk, yet I've recieved next to none in the GTO.
Yea, I miss the looks I got with my Firehawk too. I don't miss the big repair bills, the rattles, the leaky windows, the broken visor, the busted radio antenna, the sorry headlights, the wind noise, climbing in and out of it, and, most of all, worrying about what was going to break next.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Starrbuck
Yea, I miss the looks I got with my Firehawk too. I don't miss the big repair bills, the rattles, the leaky windows, the broken visor, the busted radio antenna, the sorry headlights, the wind noise, climbing in and out of it, and, most of all, worrying about what was going to break next.
For all it's faults I miss the car. It was painfull to see it sitting on the lot for sale after I traded her in. I never had any real issues with it, but the suspension was way too stiff for Dallas roads. My teeth were nearly rattled out of my head. That I don't miss, plus the interior isn't nearly as nice as the GTO's.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Banned

I don't understand where everyone gets the car didn't sell that well? In 2005 Holden was only able to ship us 11,069 GTO's, which sold well IMO. Though I will say that the 2004's seem to be hard to sell, and dealerships have quite a few of them left. Also it dosen't help that some dealerships will not give you a break on the price. I wouldn't say I got a great deal on the car, but it was fair since it was my first loan.

As far as the style of the car look back at the old GTO's. They were just a bland grocery getter with a big powerful engin put in them. This is why the new GTO's look the way they do IMO. I like the way they are not all aggressive looking, it makes it a nice sleeper. Some people like that, some people don't.

I like how I almost never see another one just driving around town. This would be one of the main reasons why they would get so much attention, at the shows, etc. Say driving down the street or at a car show you see a new Lamborghini Murcielago. You know you would be checking it out, it's the same way with the GTO IMO. I think this is actually a good thing, I like to be different then have something everyone else has.

Also if you hate the GTO cuz Holden made it you might as well hate the new Camaro, seeing as how Holden will be helping to make/design that. Though it is cheaper to do it that way. That's one reason why GM took an already made car, the Holden Monaro, changed some things and slapped a GTO emblem on it. They were trying to get the people what they wanted and not spend a ton of money doing so. If they would have just brought the car over as a Pontiac Monaro I doubt the car would get bashed like it does.

Either way the car is a great car, if you like the way it looks or not. I for sure know one of the best things that happened to me was getting my Camaro totaled and buying a new GTO. It's just a better built/better quality car.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

01-05-2006, 05:41 PM #3
xp3nd4bl3
The GTO is an import! Therefore all GTO drivers are ricers!

The firebird and camaro were built in another country too(Canada) I guess that makes them imports also and all firebird and camaro drivers ricers too!!
Old 01-23-2006, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=DeepBlueZ]I'm sorry...but this is still an incorrect statement...The GTO sold perfectly fine in '05 ('04 was a little slow but nearly all the '05s are spoken for now).

I'm looking hard for a 05 GTO, new. They are dozens to be had in GA. My local dealer has had a red on red on his lot for 8 months. Search Gm buy powere , there are hundreds stiil available.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NVigR8
Where are you from - I'd like to take you up on that.

Or if you want, we have a twice a month car show here in MD. Why don't you bring it over and we'll see for real what happens. Compare the comments or looks you get from your car vs our GTO's. What do you have to lose? Your house? C'mon put your house where your mouth is (or fingers).

My guess is that you talk big on the internet and make a stupid bet that you will not follow through with. Go big man on the Internet. Or you will say something like, "get real there's no way that a GTO will get more compliments than a ws-6, you must be dreaming of you think a gto will get more looks than my ws-6, or my wife says its better os it must be true", "its not worth it, I donlt want to embarrass you", etc.

Here's your chance big Internet guy prove us wrong - that's what you aspire to do right?

So c'mon then let's do it, you talk so big that you'll bet your house, well here's your chance to prove it.

Your TA is SOOO AWESOME!! Yay for you. It must make you feel real good to talk down to other car owners and talk about how great yours is. The way you talk, everyone in the world must share your opinion. If car magazines say it, and see it on the Internet, it must be true.

WS-6's (or should I say fake WS-6s) are right up there with Ferrari's, Lambo's, Bentleys, right? Throw on some cheapy $150 rims and you got license to talk down about any car out there.

Who the hell are you to tell someone else what someone did or didn't say to them about their car or what the experiences have been with thier own car?

Oh wait - you were just kidding, right?

Your **** is probably slow too.
LOL!! You are funny....and you are wrong, you are the biggest **** talker on the net not me! Why to chime in after 2edybird and I kind of finished putting forward our point of views?? Want attention? no one looks at you in your GTO? ***** envy? Apparently the bland comment really goes a long way with some of you

Make a poll (looks.... GTO VS WS6) if you want to continue pushing the issue I honestly have better things to do, honestly. I cant believe you even did a research to look for my car...loser! LOL!....and yes it is slow...but looks better!!!

Get some treatment for your ulcer and live a happy life
Old 01-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Teching In

When I get the LSX/ 4L60E install finished, I'll have an '80 Grand Am that weighs 3240 lbs with the Pontiac engine,(should be lighter when I'm done) that looks o.k., should be fairly quick since it's several hundred lbs lighter than the f-body or GTO and should get plenty of attention. My LT1/4L60E 1967 Impala SS sure does. Both get a lot more notice than my son's WS6 Formula does. So it's all a matter of the crowd involved and thier interests. No matter what any of us owns, something is going to faster and get more looks, that's just how it is.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Uh...sorry Chaman, we haven't settled anything. If you want to think I'm spending my time lying through my teeth you go right ahead. Like NVigR8t says, I'll be hanging out in MD at the get togethers.

Please feel free to come call me a liar to my face.

I'm just telling you some of my experiences. Every single story I've told you is true. Take them or leave them.

But just realize, simply because you own an F-Body does not, by any stretch of the imagination, make you an authority on what's "cool."

I certainly don't think my owning a GTO makes me that way. What it does, is allow me to give a comparison between the two cars based on my experiences owning and racing both types of cars over the past 16...no wait; my first Camaro was an '82 Berlinetta, bought new..so over the past twenty years.

So take take it or leave it. But if you're going to call me a liar...well, you know where I'll be. I certainly haven't called you a liar. Blindly arrogant maybe, but not a liar.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Funny thing is I really don't care if I settled anything with any two of you. This argument is as pointless as is your BS stories. I believe is you guys the ones giving A LOOOT of weight about the looks of your cars. Certainly you have been getting the looks argument constantly or you wouldn't be here. Even when EVERYONE (including me) says its a great car you don't seem to get over the look comments and go over it again and again.

Getting to where you guys are and telling it to your face?? what is this high school tough guy attitude?? LOL! You two are as tough as your car looks...really get a life! There are a lot of interesting threads here as to keep arguing about how your cars look...could care less. Enjoy your cars... and your "manly" gettogethers...

Hope you find yourself the school bus full of little kids screaming..."go GTO!!!!" tomorrow so you have a happy day.....

Thanks for putting a smile on my face by the way....LOL!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Randy_W
When I get the LSX/ 4L60E install finished, I'll have an '80 Grand Am that weighs 3240 lbs with the Pontiac engine,(should be lighter when I'm done) that looks o.k., should be fairly quick since it's several hundred lbs lighter than the f-body or GTO and should get plenty of attention. My LT1/4L60E 1967 Impala SS sure does. Both get a lot more notice than my son's WS6 Formula does. So it's all a matter of the crowd involved and thier interests. No matter what any of us owns, something is going to faster and get more looks, that's just how it is.

NICE CAR!!! Reminds me of a Culass Supreme I had!! and just love the cat!!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01WS6vert

I'm looking hard for a 05 GTO, new. They are dozens to be had in GA. My local dealer has had a red on red on his lot for 8 months. Search Gm buy powere , there are hundreds stiil available.

yes there are still plenty of '05s available (more in certain parts of the country then others) but the '06s just began reaching dealers last month. the point is that over 10,000 of the 11,069 '05s imported are already sold....the cars are selling just fine...
Old 01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Launching!

No Chaman, the only people I seem top get into it with about the GTO are you left-over F-Body guys. If you didn't care You wouldn't be posting replies. I like to jump into threads like this, it's a good stress reliever.

As far as high school goes, it's neither here or there. your call me a liar and I call you out on it, you can call whatever you want, your still doing it over the internet, Kind of the pot calling the kettle black thing.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

just read a couple of threads and.... OF COURSE YOUR'E GONNA GET LOOKS, IT'S SOMETHING NEW, SOME PEOPLE NEVER SEEN IT AND IT WILL CATCH THERE EYE'S, WHEN THE MINI COOPER CAME OUT IT WAS TURNING HEADS, WHEN THE NEW MUSTANG CAME OUT I BET ALL OFF YOU STOPPED AND LOOKED, SO JUST BECAUSE THEY LOOK DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOUR CAR IS THE BEST THING OUT THERE, IT'S JUST THE FLAVOR OF THE MONTH, THE GTO IS A NICE CAR BUT THE MORE PEOPLE SEE ON THE ROAD, THE LESS LOOKS YOU WILL RECIEVE, SO ENJOY IT WHILE IT LAST, AND IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE I'M RIGHT WELL PROVE ME WRONG. EVERY CAR HAS IT'S 15 MINUTES TO SHINE, FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO BOUGHT THE F-BODS WHEN THEY WHERE RELEASED WITH THE NEW BODY STYLE, I BET YOU WHERE TURNING HEADS LEFT AND RIGHT, AND AS FAR AS THE GTO BEING BUILT BETTER, IT DAMN WELL SHOULD, IT'S AN '05, AND THAT MEANS BETTER STANDARDS.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2edybrd
No Chaman, the only people I seem top get into it with about the GTO are you left-over F-Body guys. If you didn't care You wouldn't be posting replies. I like to jump into threads like this, it's a good stress reliever.

As far as high school goes, it's neither here or there. your call me a liar and I call you out on it, you can call whatever you want, your still doing it over the internet, Kind of the pot calling the kettle black thing.
Left over F-body guys? Ouch. Why all the hostility and stereotyping?

Quick Reply: Everyone seems to hate us.