Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Anyone With Lowered Gto's

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone With Lowered Gto's

any of you with lowered GTO's . What springs do you have and could you post pics. What else did you have to get besides the springs?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

I'm not lowering the car but I am going with Pedders OE height springs.

If you want to lower the car I would suggest Pedders springs ( http://www.peddersusa.com/GTO%20Directory.htm ). They offer a front 3/8" drop or a 1" drop. For the rear they offer only a 1/2" drop. You also have to think about what size tire you are running in the rear (or will be running later on). We don't have much room with the rear tire tucking up in the fender. So dropping the rear may not be the way to go with a bigger rear tire, even if you grinded or rolled the fenders IMO.

On top of the springs I'm also doing Noltec radius rod bushings, Noltec rear x-memeber bushings, Noltec rear differential insert, Pedders strut bearings, Pedders sturt mounts, Pedders GSR struts, BMR drag bags, front/rear cradle alignment and 4 wheel alignment.

Out of those I would at least suggest replacing the strut bearings/strut mounts (you gotta take them all apart anyways for the front springs) and rear x-member bushings. You will have to have at least a 4 wheel alingment done after and I would suggest having the rear cradle done as well.

I hope to have everything done by next week sometime. I may also use some drag springs for the rear (will raise the rear 5/16") instead of using the drag bags again.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lowchevy2go
any of you with lowered GTO's . What springs do you have and could you post pics. What else did you have to get besides the springs?

Check out my sig. Love the Pedder's stuff 1" drop up front 1/2" drop out back.
Woohoo baby you will LOVE it.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

My lowered GTO pics can be found at http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108168
Old 10-06-2006, 04:01 AM
Launching!

I like the pedders kits but i really didnt want to spend 1600 + to lower the car. I dont plan on doing and auto cross and might see the drag strip once a year due to lack of time. What do i possitively need to do this besides springs, Im an F-body guy , this IRS stuff is all new to me.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

i have pics of my eibachs in this section titled picsof my new wheels.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Banned

I like the pedders kits but i really didnt want to spend 1600 + to lower the car. I dont plan on doing and auto cross and might see the drag strip once a year due to lack of time. What do i possitively need to do this besides springs, Im an F-body guy , this IRS stuff is all new to me.
You really don't need anything but the springs and a 4 wheel alignment. Though I would do the strut bearings/mounts seeing as you will have to take them out/off to do the front springs and they have been known to wear out in 10-15k miles.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

You should go to http://www.peddersusa.com where there's different packages for budget drag racers.

Like with any car, you can't just change the springs without installing struts and shocks that can properly dampen the springs. I would suggest the Pedders GSR struts and Big Bore shocks mated with any of the lowering springs that Pedders offers. Also, there's a section in the website above and a post by DMS in the ls1gto.com website talking about the premature wear of the factory strut mount bushings. I would get that replaced. Another noteworthy mod would be the x member mount. The x member mount helps to get rid of any wheel hop. And you must absolutely get a rear cradle and 4-wheel alignment once all of these modifications are done as alot of these cars actually come crooked from the factory.

So, just the most minimal suspension mods will cost you more than $1,300 in just parts alone. You might as well open up a 0% credit card and buy a suspension package.

Last edited by damon_Z; 10-07-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Resident

You have to go here for much better info:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...=108958&page=2

Another member basically repeats what I said and includes the front radius rod bushing as another part that should be upgraded. I was going to include that in my post since that's what the Pedders website recommends, but I really didn't understand the reason why it should be upgraded. After seeing a reply in the link above, I now know why. Check it out.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Off topic to what you're asking, but I'm in need of a rear pair of BMR lowering springs. If you try it out and don't like it, shoot me a message. Might be able to work out a sale if I dont buy some by then.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 350 Likes on 263 Posts

I don't your gonna get a response since the last post before yours was from 16 years ago.
The following users liked this post:
02*C5 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 02:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 493 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I don't your gonna get a response since the last post before yours was from 16 years ago.
That is how long it takes for the internet to get to Nebraska, lol.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 350 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
That is how long it takes for the internet to get to Nebraska, lol.
I choked on my beer laughing at this thank you

Last edited by blackbyrd; 03-27-2022 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

That's true. I still have my originally-owned 2006 GTO, as well as my 2002 Z28--my little Bro has been driving/maintaining them in Orange County, CA, while I live and work in Tokyo using a used 2006 Mazda MPV as a family hauler.

Those Pedders lowering springs were the worst idea ever for the 2006 GTO. Sure, it looked great lowered with the factory 18s, but when I upgraded to the bigger CCW 505As and bigger tires, I actually had to switch them out to factory-height springs to keep from bottoming out and rubbing (I might have even went with drag springs that raised the front and rear ride height even more--I don't remember anymore).

I do remember switching out all of the Pedders parts with Whiteline parts...

Quick Reply: Anyone With Lowered Gto's