Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Going from an 03 Mustang GT to a LS2 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from an 03 Mustang GT to a LS2 GTO

Well im tired of the Mustang and tired of the GT's more than anything of all. I hate the fact that I have dumped a *** load of money into thi car and have only mustered a best of the current time. I have dumped all that money into a full suspension, bolt-ons and everything and still not even over 300rwhp. I love the Termninators but I think I just want a change of pace so the LS2 GTO has my eye.

more particualry the SOM GTO or the Impulse blue color in a 6-speed tranny. a healthy MGS3, with a full exhaust and intake will make me happy im thinking.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The GTO is alot more comfortable than the Mustang, and is definately faster stock vs stock. I parted out my 800 rwhp Fox coupe about three years ago and bought an 04 LS1 GTO. Don't miss the coupe too much, don't go to the track too much anymore either. Went to Moroso once during the "winter" and the GTO ran a 13.3 @ 106, stock with a K&N intake tube. Don't really know what you are looking to hear other than that, seems like your post is more of a statement than a question?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

well it would def be a step in the right direction...i threw all of 0$ into the car and went 12.95 @ 108 with my six speed (actually its called Brazen Orange Metallic by the way, SOM is much darker of a color) and since then ive put about $3k in bolt-ons and probably lookin at around 370ish whp. with just a cam/clutch/tire i could see 11 second 1/4 mile times and still comfortably daily drive the car. and on top of all that you'll actually be able to comfortably fit people in your back seats without a problem. good luck finding a Brazen orange though, there were only 484 6 speed/18's/BOM cars made in 2006 only...so im sure at this point they're hard to find
Old 02-15-2007, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

HEEY... good step... dude i know alot 'bout mustangs... it's not gonna go anywhere.. there are few nice ones.. but naaaa... goat is the master... Best of luck.. and welcome to the family
Old 02-15-2007, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

I guess im really just looking for some morale support more than anything, only good thing about the Mustang is that little 281ci motor doesnt produce a very high insurance rate. the trunk space and insurance is the only thing turning me away from a GTO and looking more at the Terminators.

Oh and thats for the correction on color, I knew that but I had just got done looking at SOM WS6's and Camaro's so I had that color option in my head. But I know a local guy that said he can get me one anywhere in the country as long as there is one for sale on a dealers lot somewhere.

I have been looking more and more at parts for these cars and im really surprised at how cheap headers are for it. look like it will be cheaper to LT, and catback this car than my stang! then im just and Intake and Cam/tune away from being a happy camper.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ExTurbo
good luck finding a Brazen orange though, there were only 484 6 speed/18's/BOM cars made in 2006 only...so im sure at this point they're hard to find
I found 4 of the brand new in Las Vegas, NV. 2 are 6-speed with 18's, other 2 are auto
Old 02-16-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

cam and tune ( depending on which one you go with ) can do wonders for these cars, I too had a mustang GT 99 and I just thought it was stupid that putting cams in would only give you like 20 hp. Oh well put on a c cam 232/234 @112 and some longtubes and an intake and you should see very close to 400-430 rwhp
Old 02-16-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The GTO is also alot easier to work on than a mod motor Mustang. I had a 96 Cobra / Vortech SC-Trim back from 97-2001. It was a PITA since the engine filled the engine bay so much. The Fox bodies are easier to work on than a GTO, but the GTO is just a nicer car, assuming you don't want a dedicated race car. I've also spent alot of time working on the 96-04 SOHC GTs, and they are as much of a pain as the Cobras. At least for headers they are. Unless you had a tube K-member, a header install on a mod motor Mustang was an all day event.

Drive a GTO, you may be suprised. I didn't really think the F bodies were comfortable to sit in, but maybe it's because I spent 14 years in Mustangs (89-03). The seating position in the GTO is alot more comfy than the Mustang or F body (to me), and the GTO is very quite inside, so rattling, no wind noise, it's just a nice car. Granted, it's 1200 lbs heaver than my 89 coupe, but I don't do much drag racing anymore, so I don't care too much. Also with the LS1, a cam swap, a Z06 intake, headers, and tune, and you are in 400 rwhp territory, which is plenty for me to drive back and forth to work in, given my old agedness.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Take the plunge; i did came from an 01gt with boltons and suspension. so i know the feeling; no topend in my old car.

Now oh yeah.

AL
Old 02-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Teching In

There is a new BOM outside Atlanta for sale.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

I have made up my mind, im picking one up as soon as I get back in the states...Im going to have a pretty nice chunk of change saved up for mods and a downpayment plus my Mustang is near paid off. I will prolly have around a $350 payment if im doing my math correctly. I have extreamly good credit and zero debt.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed that you are looking at track times. You may consider a F-body if you are really into racing. They have a solid axle and are lighter. The GTO is a nicer daily driver IMO.

Dont flame me GTO people. I am in this forum because I am admiring GTO's and thinking of getting one myself.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

I dont enjoy the track like I used to, it just doesnt sprak my passion anymore. yeah I may go once ina while but the GTO will see 98% street duty. Hence why im getting one, they are comfy for guy like myself (6'5" 250lb) and make really good power for when you desire to melt the tires.

I dont like the F-bodies due to several reasons, I think the nose just looks way to long on them and they drag extreamly easy, the 10-bolts are weak and most explode before hitting mid-low 11's at the track and they are only good for a driver and 1 passenger. the GTO however only has 1 or maybe 2 drawbacks. the gas tank in the trunk pisses me off and the IRS suspension is a little annoying but like I said before the car isnt going to see the track much at all so im not worried about it, the IRS is ALOT better for street duty. and from a roll the IRS actually hooks better than the straight axle cars. but from a dig the solid axle is where its at.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you have it well thought out and are making a good choice.

Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Going from an 03 Mustang GT to a LS2 GTO