Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

04-06 GTO Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 04-06 GTO Recall?

If this has been posted already, sorry but couldn't find it.
I read in the latest issue of CarCraft that the NHTSA were investigating potential front-end and tire problems on all the new GTO's. Anyone else heard this? I went to the site and checked, and did see something about "Strut/Tire interference" but that was opened in Feb 07 I think, this sounded like a newer problem... I have had some major tire and front-end problems with mine, but I would say it was do to the horrible Louisiana road conditions. I guess we will see sooner or later. Just dropping the word.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:11 AM
On The Tree

Thats Right You Might Want To Have It Checked Out. The Struts Were Causing The Tires To Blow Out In The Front. I Dont Know What Year Models It Was On But Yeah Just Get It Checked Out.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

My friends 04 gto is blowing out tires every 5 k due to the strut rubbing on the tire. He has done allignments and took it too the dealer they wont do ****. **** gm for that. SO now the Nhsta is doing an investigation there are over 70 cases reported on the 04. There is probly more but people arent reporting it.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Default GM Customer Service

I reported my very first problems to GM when I was having tire problems on my 04 GTO, they just told me to take it to a dealer and have them check it out. I have since, called GM Customer Care 6 seperate times about the problems but they will not do anything about it, I was really proud of my goat when I first got it, now I am really fed up with the service I have gotten from GM they will not back their vehicles at all, they just stick you with the problems and then turn their back on you. I will never buy from GM again due to this experience and I feel sorry for others who have gone through the same thing. Another thing that I asked customer care was for was some specs for the stock LS1 heads, the GM rep did not even know what an LS1 WAS!!!! they put me on hold for 20 mins then came back and said they would call me back... I got a call 12 days later and the guy left me a voicemail with the casting numbers for LS1 Heads!!! OMFG! can you believe that ****?
GM is **** when it comes to customer service, I may have to buy a fkin FORD after all this is said and done!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Banned

Never had a problem with my 06, maybe they fixed it by then.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I Looked Into It And The Newer Models Were Fixed. I Have The 04 Model And So Far I Havent Had Any Prob. Knock On Wood. But I Also Bought Mine Used. So Mine Might Have Got Fixed. But I Do Check The Tires Every Once In A While. I Know That Some Dealerships Have Been Fixing Them. Some People Have Said That Its The Offset And Tire Size. But Who Knows. HELL GO TO THE DEALERSHIP AND MAKE A BIG SCENE BECAUSE A 17 KID HAS DIED FROM THIS PROBLEM AND THE MOM IS SUEING GM.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea this is a big dissapointment to me being a gm fan. Im definitly thinking twice before buying a gm product.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

mghh.h

Last edited by HFLDtA; 03-01-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Not all GTO's were (are) affected. It is an issue with cars with 17" stock 245 rubber only. It can be easily corrected by either a proper alignment and replacement of a few small critical parts (strut bushings) or by moving to a narrower tire (235mm). I had some indications of strut rub but with a proper alignment within specs I haven't had it again and I'm still running the factory 245s with a lowered front.

Bottom line is it is an issue but its not unfixable and nothing worth getting rid of the car for. (IMO)
Old 07-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Its not the big of a problem that everyone makes it out to be. Pete from Pedders(aftermarket suspension company) has been under hundreds of gto. He has seen 2 cars himself and only knows of 10 cars total with this actually problem. I'm not saying it doesnt exist though. I hit a large pothole and some debris in the roadway with my 19's on. I could tell afterwards i needed a alignment, but never got it. I just put my 17's back on and its really close now(possibly rubbing). But that was my fault not gm's. Most of the problems are as Radkon said, bad alignment,parts etc.

here is a link to a powerpoint with explaination of strut rub(half way down)
http://www.peddersusa.com/PowerPoint...iles/frame.htm
Old 07-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chance575
Its not the big of a problem that everyone makes it out to be. Pete from Pedders(aftermarket suspension company) has been under hundreds of gto. He has seen 2 cars himself and only knows of 10 cars total with this actually problem. I'm not saying it doesnt exist though. I hit a large pothole and some debris in the roadway with my 19's on. I could tell afterwards i needed a alignment, but never got it. I just put my 17's back on and its really close now(possibly rubbing). But that was my fault not gm's. Most of the problems are as Radkon said, bad alignment,parts etc.

here is a link to a powerpoint with explaination of strut rub(half way down)
http://www.peddersusa.com/PowerPoint...iles/frame.htm

+1

Quick Reply: 04-06 GTO Recall?