Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Anybody with experience using thermostat for external oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Anybody with experience using thermostat for external oil cooler?

I'm considering a stand alone oil cooler for my 'V. Oil temps are getting a little high on the track.

I've spoken with several people who voice concerns about losses in oil pressure through the thermostat due to pressure drop. Nobody can give me specific numers... so I'm asking anybody with experience to speak up!

The ls6 is known for losing oil pressure during sustained high-G corners... so I'm a little wary of causing any more oiling issues.

I'm considering a Mocal (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-adapter.html) or Earls spin on style.

Thanks!
Mark
Old 06-03-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
I'm considering a stand alone oil cooler for my 'V. Oil temps are getting a little high on the track.

I've spoken with several people who voice concerns about losses in oil pressure through the thermostat due to pressure drop. Nobody can give me specific numers... so I'm asking anybody with experience to speak up!

The ls6 is known for losing oil pressure during sustained high-G corners... so I'm a little wary of causing any more oiling issues.

I'm considering a Mocal (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-adapter.html) or Earls spin on style.

Thanks!
Mark
That Mocal unit will not fit with headers. Spin on can be a fit problem as well. I wound up going with the Lingenfelter piece http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=C186
or the Katech is also an option http://store.katechengines.com/bille...apter-p37.aspx You will need the inline thermostat. With 10AN plumbing, pressure drop should not be a big problem. My car is in the shop as we speak having the Lingenfelter unit and cooler installed.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting... are you sure the mocal won't fit?

The lingenfelter piece looks nice, I may go that route. I noticed the Katech unit does not have provisions for an oil temp sensor.

I'll have to do a little research on in-line thermostats.

Thanks! Any other info out there from anybody?
Mark
Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, call LG Motorsports.

They have a custom CNCed block that attaches directly above the stock oil filter, on the side of the block.

It has two -10AN ports and a metric port for a temp probe.

I used it on my LS1 based Trans AM track car I had several years ago. With some creative elbows and Aeroquip swivel fittings, I was able to run both lines forward, next to the block with FLP headers.

As far a cooler, Setrab. The best of the best, IMHO.

On my road race LT1, I have a Setrab 9"x9" cooler with a ducted fan. Its a small package, which is vital on a CTS-V.

Before the cooler, I have no clue what my oil temps were because the gauge only goes to 310*. Now temps run between 260-280, depending upon ambient temps and length of the race.

As far as a thermostat goes, you live in east Texas and therefore not necessary in this area. On those cold, icy days, I doubt you drive the V very much any way. For two of three weeks out of the year, you might need it. On those days, just baby it till temps begin to come up.

Are you doing Harris Hill then end of the month? I'm taking my recently acquired 06 V out there to see how it does. I typically run Red group and have instructed a couple times for Rick. But this time, I asked for yellow. Not planning on flogging the car too bad.

I installed HPS pads and SRF fluid for the weekend.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Interesting... are you sure the mocal won't fit?

The lingenfelter piece looks nice, I may go that route. I noticed the Katech unit does not have provisions for an oil temp sensor.

I'll have to do a little research on in-line thermostats.

Thanks! Any other info out there from anybody?
Mark
I actually bought the piece from Mocal and tried to mount it. No way it would work with headers. There just isn't much room for fittings unless they're above the filter. Turns out I have to postpone mounting my system up until after next week.

Last edited by Big Bu Bu; 06-04-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Mark, call LG Motorsports.

As far a cooler, Setrab. The best of the best, IMHO.

Roger that. Setrab. Fluidyne would be my second choice.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx

Are you doing Harris Hill then end of the month? I'm taking my recently acquired 06 V out there to see how it does. I typically run Red group and have instructed a couple times for Rick. But this time, I asked for yellow. Not planning on flogging the car too bad.

I'd reallly like to go for a ride with you sometime on the track.... I'd like to see what a 'V is capable of with a good driver!

I'm not going to make it this month... the 'V is still down from my last track event (cracked wheel, still waiting for the replacement), plus it looks like my travel schedule this month wouldn't allow it anyways. I really enjoyed my first event last month (green group) and plan to make at least 3 per year from now on, I'm hooked!

While I'm deciding what to do about oil cooling and also waiting on the new wheel; I'm installing a short shifter and the grey Creative Steel motor mounts.

Since I've got ya'll in this thread... can anybody give me some advice on tire selection? I'm running KDW's, but they didn't really perform well on the track. Also, do you run regular alignment settings on the track, or are you doing anything special?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

I'd reallly like to go for a ride with you sometime on the track.... I'd like to see what a 'V is capable of with a good driver!

I'm not going to make it this month... the 'V is still down from my last track event (cracked wheel, still waiting for the replacement), plus it looks like my travel schedule this month wouldn't allow it anyways. I really enjoyed my first event last month (green group) and plan to make at least 3 per year from now on, I'm hooked!

While I'm deciding what to do about oil cooling and also waiting on the new wheel; I'm installing a short shifter and the grey Creative Steel motor mounts.

Since I've got ya'll in this thread... can anybody give me some advice on tire selection? I'm running KDW's, but they didn't really perform well on the track. Also, do you run regular alignment settings on the track, or are you doing anything special?
I'd try Dunlop Direzzas, Bridgestone RE11s, or the new Yoko Advan AD08s of which I have a set. They are a good compromise between a street and track tire. The Cadillac FAQ has some aggressive street alignment specs which I've tried and it improved turn in quite a bit.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not planning on changing alignment specs nor am I gonna flog the V ... too hard.

I've never liked "short" shifters. I installed a B&M shifter. I'm hoping it loosens up after a while.

Are there groups that allow passengers? I thought all that went away. But I too am interested to see what the V can do in stock trim.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Red's and instructors were allowed to take passengers when I went to motorsport ranch last month. I don't know if that was the exception to the general rule though.

I rode with a guy in an essentially stock Corvette and was EXTREMELY impressed with what he was able to do with that car.

Keep us posted on your track day results!

-Mark
Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Default Mocal -12AN oil thermostat

I ran one of these on my Cobra. I have it for sale if interested.

My car is a dedicated track car now so I don't need it anymore.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a few buddies that are talking about attending this event.....I might end up rolling up with them. I dunno if I should take my car.?? Just in case I manage to squeeze in...
Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
I have a few buddies that are talking about attending this event.....I might end up rolling up with them. I dunno if I should take my car.?? Just in case I manage to squeeze in...
Of course you should bring your car. Sign up now!

H2 is a fun and easy to learn track. Speeds aren't too high and its actually pretty easy on the car.

A friend and I went out there in his Vette and we took turns during sessions. Hot lapping his street car in July and it never showed any signs of abuse.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
That Mocal unit will not fit with headers. Spin on can be a fit problem as well. I wound up going with the Lingenfelter piece http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=C186
or the Katech is also an option http://store.katechengines.com/bille...apter-p37.aspx You will need the inline thermostat. With 10AN plumbing, pressure drop should not be a big problem. My car is in the shop as we speak having the Lingenfelter unit and cooler installed.
That Katech unit is a nice piece.

A 60* swivel fitting on the outlet and a 90* swivel fitting on the inlet will route the lines forward easy enough.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:21 AM

Default Oil thermostat for sale

Serpentnoir,

Been 3 months since you listed your therm for sale. Wondering if you got rid of it yet. I'm interested in buying if your still selling let me know a price and we can set something up email me thanks.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went with one from a 6.0 HD truck. You have to buy adapters to connect the AN lines to it. I have a fan on my cooler which has T stat to control the fan. My oil temps now run 200-250 on the street. I haven't run a open track event in a long time.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I could not get the mocal to fit my 02 ss with headers, even though I was assured by the seller it would.

Quick Reply: Anybody with experience using thermostat for external oil cooler?