Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

I think I got a good start, have some questions....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
i didn't look at the car in question, but SS brake lines and good brake fluid would be a great start. If after your first track day you see something on your rotors that looks like it's smeared on there, then get some better pads more suited for track temps. Until then, don't worry about them
Please look at the link and lemme know what you think.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...rano-more.html
Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to frrax.com and read there
Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
go to frrax.com and read there
Yeh, I have been reading there....that board is on life support.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I talked to him and he said it was, in fact his fault this happened with the brakes.

Any heads up from you guys looking at what I bought for a car as to what it needs to HPDE?

Seats? Do I NEED seats? If so will a Trans Am seat work well with a harness bar and some belts? I know when I get better I will need seats so I am not fighting to stay in the seat....but do I need them right now?

How do I put good belts in the car AND keep the stock belts?

If I DO decide to HPDE it with the stock brakes, what pads, brake lines and fluid do I need?

My Buddy with the red SS, we put a special baffle in his oil pan when we built the engine at my house...do I need that yet? Or do I need to overfill the oil 1/2 a quart for insurance?

Power steering cooler, do I need one? Or a turn one pump or nothing yet?

I know all of you have been down this road...my ears are WIDE open and listening.

I know I ask alot of questions LOL, dont want to make dumb moves if I can avoid them.
Not sure how tall you are but in my I have to recline the seat to fit in there with a helmet on in my dad's t/a and I'm only 6' 0". I wouldn't be able to drive like that on a road course... not sure if there's some way to lower stock seats.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Not sure how tall you are but in my I have to recline the seat to fit in there with a helmet on in my dad's t/a and I'm only 6' 0". I wouldn't be able to drive like that on a road course... not sure if there's some way to lower stock seats.
I am a Fatboy as you know, I am 5 foot 11, With my Hunsaker seats on Corbeau brackets I can sit straight up in my black car and put on my helmet at the dragstrip.

I may get some of these seats and put in the new car.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Please look at the link and lemme know what you think.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...rano-more.html
like I said, all you need (which really you don't need, but it's a safety item imo) is SS brake lines and a decent fluid, like ATE Super Blue or Motul RBF 600. keep those tires, pads, etc and just run her and get seat time. when you start notice something that looks like it's smearing on your rotors, then its time for new pads

btw, i'm 6'3 175lbs and fit in my 2002 camaro with a helmet on in a more vertical seating position (as you would want on track). I have an old LG harness bar with G-Force 5 point harnesses and the lap belts are using the same bolts as my factory seat belts are on (had to widen the harness holes a little so the bolt fits through), the shoulder harness wraps around the harness bar and until i put a race seat in i dont use the submarine belt
Old 10-06-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
like I said, all you need (which really you don't need, but it's a safety item imo) is SS brake lines and a decent fluid, like ATE Super Blue or Motul RBF 600. keep those tires, pads, etc and just run her and get seat time. when you start notice something that looks like it's smearing on your rotors, then its time for new pads

btw, i'm 6'3 175lbs and fit in my 2002 camaro with a helmet on in a more vertical seating position (as you would want on track). I have an old LG harness bar with G-Force 5 point harnesses and the lap belts are using the same bolts as my factory seat belts are on (had to widen the harness holes a little so the bolt fits through), the shoulder harness wraps around the harness bar and until i put a race seat in i dont use the submarine belt

You wanna sell that harness bar? Anyone else make one for these cars?

EDIT, do I need a strut tower brace?

10-4 on the other, leave the car be for now.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

No

6LE is or was making one, PM him..

and NO to STB, you don't even need subframe connectors
Old 10-06-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeh, I have been reading there....that board is on life support.
FRRAX isn't a road racing autocross social network.

The information you seek has more than likely been dissected and discussed.

You won't be spoon fed. There are some expectations that if you have an issue, you do the work to find it.

It's not corner-carvers.com by any stretch. But it isn't 4chan either.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

I am a Fatboy as you know, I am 5 foot 11, With my Hunsaker seats on Corbeau brackets I can sit straight up in my black car and put on my helmet at the dragstrip.

I may get some of these seats and put in the new car.
your height is irrelevant. you can be all leg or all torso, either of which will impact your seating position. im 6'1 and have a long torso. with an arizen racing seat and my helmet on, my head hit the t-top. i had to get the brackets custom lowered just to fit in my car.

think about your inseam vs. shirt size if youre not sure how youre built. you will also find that youll need to put your seat back up straighter on a road course then any other time.

a STB or SFC will NOT HURT anything. i dont give a damn what anyone says, tieing the subframes together is a good idea and safer for the life of the car. ive noticed less creaks since doing it, and my car only had 24K miles when the SFC were installed.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
your height is irrelevant. you can be all leg or all torso, either of which will impact your seating position. im 6'1 and have a long torso. with an arizen racing seat and my helmet on, my head hit the t-top. i had to get the brackets custom lowered just to fit in my car.

think about your inseam vs. shirt size if youre not sure how youre built. you will also find that youll need to put your seat back up straighter on a road course then any other time.

a STB or SFC will NOT HURT anything. i dont give a damn what anyone says, tieing the subframes together is a good idea and safer for the life of the car. ive noticed less creaks since doing it, and my car only had 24K miles when the SFC were installed.
Yeh I learned the SFC thing from Drag racing, the car will get a set of Global west FRC's as soon as I get it. I have the same set on my black car and love them.

I see what your saying on your "build" type LOL.

Quick Reply: I think I got a good start, have some questions....