Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

aside from shocks - what is the #1 suspension upgrade for road racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lubelizard
Yep. My instructor at an SVTOA event raced a Honda Civic in a stock SCCA class. I rode passenger with him for a session, and we passed so many supercharged Mustangs that it was ridiculous.
I tell a story of when I was running HPDEs and was thrilled when I saw I was catching my instructor ... me in a 400HP TA and he in a Mini Cooper S.

I was pedalling as hard as I could lap after lap. Finally I got close enough to see four helmets bobbing around in the Mini.

It's a hard concept to grasp, but horsepower isn't king on a road course.

In Florida, you might look at http://www.drivenasafl.com/speed/hpde
Old 11-08-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My own opinion, in order of importance:

Seat Time
Tires & Tire settings
Brake Pads
Shocks/Springs & settings (adjustable shocks)
Rotors
Brake Fluid
Sway Bars
Seat/harness

(FYI, I have yet to address the last 2 myself)

Last edited by 01 ss vert; 11-08-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

For engine insurance, I also run an extra quart of oil before each session due to the cornering and increased potential for oil starvation. I tend to bring 3-4 quarts just in case.

Last HPDE I was really hard on the brakes so I'm now looking into cooling ducts. I burnt the piston boots off in the 1st session. Cooling ducts are subjective, in that some ppl feel you need them, others don't. I tend to brake late and kick in ABS several times per lap, so I'm not easy on the pad by any means. Also, I think total weight of the car (I'm a heavy convertible), pad/rotor selection, and wheel design (some wheels allow more airflow - I'm 17x 9.5 in the front), and driving style all play a part on whether you need ducts or not. A lighter car on a course without high speed brake zones might not need them, especially with a good pad selection.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
For engine insurance, I also run an extra quart of oil before each session due to the cornering and increased potential for oil starvation. I tend to bring 3-4 quarts just in case.

Last HPDE I was really hard on the brakes so I'm now looking into cooling ducts. I burnt the piston boots off in the 1st session. Cooling ducts are subjective, in that some ppl feel you need them, others don't. I tend to brake late and kick in ABS several times per lap, so I'm not easy on the pad by any means. Also, I think total weight of the car (I'm a heavy convertible), pad/rotor selection, and wheel design (some wheels allow more airflow - I'm 17x 9.5 in the front), and driving style all play a part on whether you need ducts or not. A lighter car on a course without high speed brake zones might not need them, especially with a good pad selection.
This post provided by far the most important feedback I've ever received including a few other sites I've been active on. - I don't recall any of them EVER focusing or even mentioning the importance of "seat time" or instruction. This should be #1 on the sticky list in the newbie section imho.

Thanks to all for the greet feedback & direction !
Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lubelizard
Yep. My instructor at an SVTOA event raced a Honda Civic in a stock SCCA class. I rode passenger with him for a session, and we passed so many supercharged Mustangs that it was ridiculous.
That almost had to be Ian Stewart at Sebring several years ago. He and I instructed for an SVTOA event down there and I think he brought his showroom stock Civic for that event. I rode with him in a friends GT3 and considered myself a good driver until I watched what he could do. Simply amazing driver.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Ian? Yet another autocrosser turned road-racer.

To address the point about learn to drive first. Certainly a sucky driver in a good car isn't ideal. Of course many mods not only make the car faster, but easier to drive and more enjoyable to drive--even when not on the track.

As for mods vs. drivers. I get myself in trouble a lot with folks, since being one who instructs drivers... I tend to find myself asking if the problem isn't something they are doing (and ask them to think about it), before changing parts.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff94TA
That almost had to be Ian Stewart at Sebring several years ago. He and I instructed for an SVTOA event down there and I think he brought his showroom stock Civic for that event. I rode with him in a friends GT3 and considered myself a good driver until I watched what he could do. Simply amazing driver.
It was 2008 or 2009. He was one of the best instructors I've ever had. Nice guy, aggressive driver, good instruction.

Sorry for the highjack.

My novice opinion is that decent brakes and tires are the top concern, as well as ensuring the fluids and cooling systems are squared away.

Quick Reply: aside from shocks - what is the #1 suspension upgrade for road racing?