Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

lt1 RR oil pan or stay stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 RR oil pan or stay stock?

i'm going to be putting in a fresh motor with an m6 swap in the next couple of months. i'm wondering if before i go through with the swap if it would be needed to go ahead and spend the coin on a road race oil pan. i plan on using long tube headers, so if that is an issue it will play a factor. the motor will be all stock internals, stock heads, just full bolt-ons. won't do a whole lot of road racing and auto-x, but hopefully 1 event every couple of months, maybe more down the road. opinions/facts please
Old 02-14-2011, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can get a stock style pan with internal baffles and overall better oil control.

If you can afford it and your headers will clear, a good canton kickout RR pan would be your best option.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

never seen anything about a stock style pan like you describe. where could i get something like that?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Look into Moroso.. Milodon might also make something and Im pretty sure Canton can build you just about anything you want.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

improved racing makes an oil baffle for LS1s. not sure if they do for LT1s. if youre only going a few times a year, its not vital. you dont need anything extra for autox, and can just overfill by a quart if you do a track day.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've road raced and autocrossed my LT1 with a stock pan for eight years now with zero issues. It certainly wouldn't hurt but probably isn't necessary.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jeff94TA
I've road raced and autocrossed my LT1 with a stock pan for eight years now with zero issues. It certainly wouldn't hurt but probably isn't necessary.
Hahaha are you kidding me? Just three sustained .9g turns can kill a beautiful set of bearings. Now for AutoX once a month for fun it's prob not necessary, but if you plan on doing any serious work on the road course then a RR oil pan is a must. It's your wallet. What makes more sense $4-500 for a pan or $3-5k for a rebuild?

Just my .02
Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flash911
Hahaha are you kidding me? Just three sustained .9g turns can kill a beautiful set of bearings.
No I'm not kidding and I'm not some casual once a month autocrosser. I've logged thousands of track miles at speed on mine. I'm out there competing in NASA Time Trials so when I say racing I'm not talking about HPDE's. I'm not the fastest but I do run respectable times, so not the slowest either. I run in TTB so to back up my claims here are results from June at Sebring and August at Road Atlanta.

Sebring results
Road Atlanta results

So what tech do you have that shows sustained high G turns will kill a set of bearings? We are talking about LT1's and not LS1's by the way so don't go there for your back up. It's well documented that LS1's have oil starvation issues.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff94TA
No I'm not kidding and I'm not some casual once a month autocrosser. I've logged thousands of track miles at speed on mine. I'm out there competing in NASA Time Trials so when I say racing I'm not talking about HPDE's. I'm not the fastest but I do run respectable times, so not the slowest either. I run in TTB so to back up my claims here are results from June at Sebring and August at Road Atlanta.

Sebring results
Road Atlanta results

So what tech do you have that shows sustained high G turns will kill a set of bearings? We are talking about LT1's and not LS1's by the way so don't go there for your back up. It's well documented that LS1's have oil starvation issues.
^^^^^^^^
Listen to this guy.

My experience is much the same.

I spent the bucks on a Canton 242T for my 96 CMC Firebird and have built a couple LT1 cars for customers that I didn't bother with an aftermarket pan.

I wished I had saved my money.

Quick Reply: lt1 RR oil pan or stay stock?