Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Have an exciting week ahead of me in the CMS T1 Corvette..

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Have an exciting week ahead of me in the CMS T1 Corvette..

Some here know I race SCCA Touring 1. What most people don't know about the person behind the poster, is I'm a 26 year old enthusiast who works 5 days a week and often pulling extra hours while at the track (depending on projects)...and have only been racing since 2008 where I started in a vintage Formula Ford. After a very successful rookie season and strong to start to my 2nd season I decided it was time to move up to something that could really challenge me in taking the next step forward with racing. In came the T1 car. After some initial learning curves, I quickly got up to speed in the car. Since then I've had a lot of success met with a lot of disappointment in equipment failures at the seemingly worst times. This year in particular I've had one weekend after another of ABS issues, rear shock failure, brake hardware failure, hub failure, an engine let go, and most recently my Crew Chief was re-diagnosed with cancer and cannot make the trip with me so he can under-go some aggressive treatments. After all of this and not finishing multiple races I'm barely holding onto 3rd place National points within the division. And, despite all of these issues, I've successfully qualified the car on the front row of every race I've been able to qualify for (except for 2).

With a new motor going in as I type and all the other problems being taken care of since their happenings, I'm now getting ready for a whole new journey: The SCCA National June Sprints presented by WeatherTech at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI.

Regardless of my difficulties this season, I've had the end goal of qualifying for the SCCA National Championships Runoffs in September, but have yet to get qualified. I'm 7 points short of qualifying only needing a 3rd place finish or better and I'm in. I've taken some extended time off work, leaving On June 9 to get to Road America with plenty of time to work on the car and make sure everything is buttoned up and ready to Rock and Roll for the pre-cursor race to the big show. I have no doubt it will be exciting, frustrating, and a whole new experience all in its own.

The car is newly outfitted with a freshly rebuilt Katech motor, some new equipment, revalved shocks, and a brake setup that makes grown men quiver when they're applied combined with the coaching from my retired professional racing father and a new temporary Crew Chief (some say that he is a CIA experiment that went wrong, and that he only eats cheese. All we know is that he's not The Stig - he's The Stig's not-so-fat American cousin on my team ), I'll be in good hands. Even though it will be my first trip to Road America, I'm confident I can display what a well setup C5 can do against the bad boy C6's and Home track East coasters. If you're looking for some local and National advertising, my car has plenty of space available, PM or email me to discuss.

Lot's of thanks goes out to Cunningham Motorsports, BRE Rods and Customs (formerly Beebe Racing Enterprises), Hardbar USA, and Zenith Motorsports for helping me get the car ready for this and get me the supplies to last the battle

--Chris Ronson, Jr.
ronsonracing@gmail.com

I'll update this thread as my trip progresses, also checkout my website below for more possible updates

Last edited by SIK02SS; 06-07-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with everything Chris! The stuff you ordered from me should be at the track waiting for you as early as tomorrow.

If you really need help this weekend at the track, seriously man, let me know.. I get flight benefits and I could easily fly up there and give you a hand Friday and Saturday.. In exchange for a dinner and a motel room (or at least a floor to sleep on).

Good luck and keep me updated brother!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks a lot Mike, I'll let you know!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Good luck, Chris! And as a wise man once said, success loves preparation... it sounds like you've got that part nailed. Please keep us updated as the week/weekend progresses. Also, please post a link if there's livetiming available on the web. We'll cheer you on!

Cheers,

Dean
Old 06-09-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Dean, and will do!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck to you.

Steve A.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I've finished off my T1 race career with a bang. I arrived at Road America Sunday night about 7:30 and unloaded the trailer. Come Monday morning I took a ride in a GT3 Porsche to learn the track at speed, and then recruited Mike Newlander to coach me for a few laps to really learn the line. Lap 1 went well, I hit my marks, but was only driving about 50%, lap 2 I was putting in a little more effort to about 60%. Going into turn 1 I couldn't get the car into 3rd without a few attempts, then coming out the same trying going up to 4th. On the stretch from turn 4 to 5 I lifted early at the top of the hill and boasted down the hill. A little before the actual brake zone I began to ease into the brakes. At that moment the rear locked up and pitched to the left, I caught it with the car now in neutral and it pitched back right, I again caught it but now we were sliding through my own oil. It went left again and we were left as just passengers. The rear burst into a flame just prior to the rear hitting the wall, and then the front, which caused the car to slide to a stop with the passenger side pinned against the wall. Key off, master wire off, fire system pulled...nothing. pulled again, nothing. Time to bail out, I got out and instantly realized mike couldn't so I reached in and pulled him out.

Good news is, we were out and okay and the fire turned out to be "just" a flash fire and was out.

The car is for sale. The condition I will sell it in will be given after I get home and do some number crunching.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my Chris. Too bad ...

Glad you are OK ... cars will fix or be replaced.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

OUCH.. That is horrible news! Im very sorry to hear that. Not the report that I was expecting at all.

Glad you are alright though, thats all that matters.

So now whats the plan? Sell this car and move onto what???
Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Oh my Chris. Too bad ...

Glad you are OK ... cars will fix or be replaced.
Thanks Mitch

Originally Posted by SVThuh
OUCH.. That is horrible news! Im very sorry to hear that. Not the report that I was expecting at all.

Glad you are alright though, thats all that matters.

So now whats the plan? Sell this car and move onto what???
move onto nothing for now. I was planning to race Trans Am series next year in TA2, but I have such a bitter taste from this season, I need to walk away for a while. I guess hpde in the camaro is back on the table.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

Chris
So sorry to hear you popped your motor. I had seen Mike and Everett (the guy with the Mosler) on Monday and Tuesday at GT Trackdays. I heard you were coming and wanted to meet you since I've seen you post here quite a bit. There must be a spell cast on LS6s this month. Another guy I know with a CTS V LS6 just blew his up at VIR a week or so ago almost the same way. A common issue when you lift the throttle the piston no longer encounters the resistance of the compression stroke and the tension (stretch) of the rod can spike, the rod throws and it's all over. That being said an unmolested LS6 still has a reputation of being a pretty reliable motor. Seems like you've just had a stroke of bad luck recently. Don't blame you for being frustrated. Best thing is to let all this settle out before you decide the next move. You've got lot's of success for a young guy and you need a break. Good luck. Maybe I'll meet you next year.

Mike S.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Chris
So sorry to hear you popped your motor. I had seen Mike and Everett (the guy with the Mosler) on Monday and Tuesday at GT Trackdays. I heard you were coming and wanted to meet you since I've seen you post here quite a bit. There must be a spell cast on LS6s this month. Another guy I know with a CTS V LS6 just blew his up at VIR a week or so ago almost the same way. A common issue when you lift the throttle the piston no longer encounters the resistance of the compression stroke and the tension (stretch) of the rod can spike, the rod throws and it's all over. That being said an unmolested LS6 still has a reputation of being a pretty reliable motor. Seems like you've just had a stroke of bad luck recently. Don't blame you for being frustrated. Best thing is to let all this settle out before you decide the next move. You've got lot's of success for a young guy and you need a break. Good luck. Maybe I'll meet you next year.

Mike S.
Thanks Mike, I was there Monday and pulled out Tuesday (and can't get a refund ). I wanted to finally meet Everett, but didn't see him each time I went over. And yea, this is my 4th motor in 3 years and 2nd in one month. I know why all my motors let go and fixed the issues on each one, but it seems as though the engine builder may have skipped a page when rebuilding this one..and thank you. Much needed break indeed after all of this.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Wow. I don't even know what to say, Chris. That is really a shame. Sorry, brother!

Sometimes it is best to step away for a bit and regroup.

Best of luck.

Dean
Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

I have been road racing for twenty years and been through plenty of times like yours. I agree with the "bear", take a step back, re group financially and take a fresh, analytical look after a breather.

I was ready to quit after losing several 18 degree type small block chevy motors. We switched to LS motors with the scavenge dry sump system, had Schwanke build our motors and that has pretty much solved the engine issues.

I also switched from tub based race cars to tube frame cars and have enjoyed the racing much more. (much easier to work on, cheaper parts if you use Nascar and short track stock car technology). Have never lost a Jerico tranny or triple disc clutch, and only one quick change failure in 7 years. We get Nascar calipers, pads and rotors at penny's on the dollar. We pay about 600 bucks for a set of tires and the cars lap quite a bit faster than a T-1 type car for a buy/build cost of about 20-25 K. We are re-bodying the stock car as a 2011 Camaro, which should improve the "cool" factor and would make a good candidate for Trans Am TA2.

Best of luck at whatever course you take

"Bosco" Logsdon
Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garcr4
I have been road racing for twenty years and been through plenty of times like yours. I agree with the "bear", take a step back, re group financially and take a fresh, analytical look after a breather.

I was ready to quit after losing several 18 degree type small block chevy motors. We switched to LS motors with the scavenge dry sump system, had Schwanke build our motors and that has pretty much solved the engine issues.

I also switched from tub based race cars to tube frame cars and have enjoyed the racing much more. (much easier to work on, cheaper parts if you use Nascar and short track stock car technology). Have never lost a Jerico tranny or triple disc clutch, and only one quick change failure in 7 years. We get Nascar calipers, pads and rotors at penny's on the dollar. We pay about 600 bucks for a set of tires and the cars lap quite a bit faster than a T-1 type car for a buy/build cost of about 20-25 K. We are re-bodying the stock car as a 2011 Camaro, which should improve the "cool" factor and would make a good candidate for Trans Am TA2.

"Bosco" Logsdon
Are you the same Bosco from over at the V8Stockcar site?

Yeah I agree there's nothing that can touch the cost effectiveness of one of those stock cars. Great fun, relatively low cost, nice people. Actually the cost is not all in the car, but rather all the pit, spares, and support equipment.

Andy1
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by garcr4

"Bosco" Logsdon
Thanks Bosco, that was my plan..I know of a prestine SW Tour car local with Monte Carlo body that he'd sell to me as a roller to put in a Schwanke and go NASA SU and TA2 racing for next year...that's on hold now. Need to gather myself and my sanity before jumping back into all this. With all the issues I've worked through and dealt with this year alone, I lost the fun in it all.

Originally Posted by Andy1
Are you the same Bosco from over at the V8Stockcar site?

Yeah I agree there's nothing that can touch the cost effectiveness of one of those stock cars. Great fun, relatively low cost, nice people. Actually the cost is not all in the car, but rather all the pit, spares, and support equipment.

Andy1
Same one..
Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dtfastbear
Wow. I don't even know what to say, Chris. That is really a shame. Sorry, brother!

Sometimes it is best to step away for a bit and regroup.

Best of luck.

Dean
Thanks Dean, I'll get my 02 Camaro HPDE ready again and I'll see you out there..just not wheel to wheel

Quick Reply: Have an exciting week ahead of me in the CMS T1 Corvette..