Originally Posted by F Steed
I'd like to propose a new racing class:

Stock Car chassis
102" wheelbase with shortened front and rear overhang
62" track or 65" track depending on consensus or availability
GM CT525 crate engine
Corvette bodywork without wing
Pretty much what we did with our Rolex GT type build, however
stock C5 body work is 104" and change, C6 105.7 and the CF World Challenge bodies are the same.

That really isn't a problem though as the typical late model stock car chassis can locate the rear end from 101 to 108.

The CT525 is a fine motor but was developed for circle track with the corresponging oil pan, you would need to dry sump the motor for it to live in a road race environment,.......not a big deal either, just $$$$$.

Most late model center sections are too wide for the Corvette cockpit, so you would most likely be best off having HOWE racing build one for you based on their road circuit design. They are pretty reasonably priced compared to most.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Trans Am Corvette builds are, I think, 102" wheelbase and 65" track.

For this class it would be better to just suit the actual Corvette bodywork (with a Stock Car chassis) as the primary goal.

The engine could step down to the GM CT350/400.

Well, once the frame is defined and the engine performance level is set then custom bodywork along with other make engines could be allowed.

Twenty-five cars on the East Coast and twenty-five cars on the West Coast would nail down a class or series.

An alternate idea would be to use the actual C5 Corvette with a sports car roll cage, a GM CT engine, and a specified rear axle ratio.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F Steed
The Trans Am Corvette builds are, I think, 102" wheelbase and 65" track.

For this class it would be better to just suit the actual Corvette bodywork (with a Stock Car chassis) as the primary goal.

The engine could step down to the GM CT350/400.

Well, once the frame is defined and the engine performance level is set then custom bodywork along with other make engines could be allowed.

Twenty-five cars on the East Coast and twenty-five cars on the West Coast would nail down a class or series.

An alternate idea would be to use the actual C5 Corvette with a sports car roll cage, a GM CT engine, and a specified rear axle ratio.

The 102" bodies are the ones made for SCCA GT-1 and Trans Am by Jim Derhaag or ACP (advanced composites) They are not cheap,

They also will not fit any late model stock car chassis than I am aware of because of the small cockpit of the corvette. Your could completely modify the center section, but it would be more trouble than it's worth. The Camaro will go on a lot of them.

If you are gonna do the the vette, like I said, just let howe build the bare chassis for you at about 3000 bucks.

LS Motors would be far superior to the ct 350 or ct400 but they could be made to work. Would Have to get road race oil pan and an accusump. They still would be marginal for longevity.

There is already a similar series: V8 StockCar Road Racing with four classes

V8 GT-1: SCCA GT-1
V8 GT-2: SCCA STO, Nasa ST2, ITO, Conti challenge cars, SCCA GT2

V8 SPO: high horsepower stock cars
V8 GTA: SCCA GTA

Ten racing weekends, sometimes with pro series, ie: ARCA, Grand Am, also with HSR, SCCA, PBOC

V8 StockCar will be at Daytona Aug 6 & 7 with SCCA. We will be there with our Corvette and Camaro that is very close to what you are talking about, save with Schwanke LS6.

This is the bare chassis we built from the ground up for our C6 and also the finished product

Last edited by garcr4; 07-17-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Okay, someone sent me an e-mail about ASC Stock Cars on the West Coast and about GTA Stock Cars on the East Coast.

So I would suggest that these two types of cars could be added:

Stock Car chassis that correctly mounts the OEM Corvette bodywork, 2900 pound minimum weight, GM CT350/400 engine, no front air dam, and rear deck spoiler only.

Actual C5 or C6 Corvette with sports car roll cage, 2900 pound minimum weight, GM CT350/400 engine, OEM transaxle with choice of axle ratio, no front air dam, and rear deck spoiler only.

Last edited by F Steed; 07-17-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 AM
Teching In

It looks like SCCA (SARRC) V8 Stock Car GT-2 is different from SCCA GCR GT-2 (and different from SCCA TA2) and thus allows Corvettes with OEM frames. Then tube frame Corvettes would be in SCCA V8 Stock Car GT-1 just like in SCCA GCR GT-1 (and like in SCCA TA).

The rules for SCCA V8 Stock Car GT-2 are the V8 cars (I'm sure) found in SCCA GCR STO. (But as noted in a post above there are additional class inclusions and including SCCA GCR GT-2.)

Basically in my suggestion, I set up a Corvette tube frame class at the same performance level as SCCA GCR STO Corvettes.

-Research by Fast Steed

Last edited by F Steed; 07-19-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your SPEC corvette is not far from my Rolex GT Corvette.

Live axle, Nascar 4 speed, about 400 HP to the wheels.

Not a bad idea, just in this economy the timing ain't great.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Teching In

No new developments here except that I read the Grand AM GT rule book.

Also, I compared WC entry fees to TA entry fees.

But I can make a clearer policy recommendation.

The following two cars:

Stock Car chassis (or tube frame) that correctly mounts the OEM Corvette bodywork, stock car suspension and quick-change rear end, 2900 pound minimum weight, GM CT350/400 engine, no front air dam, and rear deck spoiler only.

Actual C5 or C6 Corvette with sports car roll cage, 2900 pound minimum weight, GM CT350/400 engine, OEM transaxle with choice of axle ratio, no front air dam, and rear deck spoiler only.

...could be the GTA class and the GTA TA2 class.

However, the tube frame car could also allow any bodywork within size specifications and any make engine of similar design and power.

Also, the idea is that GTA could be similar to Australian V8 Supercar which are trim vehicles with V8 engines (even though they are four-door sedans).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My original idea was the Solstice frame and suspension, with roll cage, with any make 305 V8 engine, and with any bodywork. This is American V8 Supercar.

My idea for race cars on a city-local six-turn one-mile road course was the Solstice frame and suspension, with roll cage, with any make four-cylinder engine, and with any bodywork.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Reply: New Racing Class