Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Track Day Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Track Day Car

I currently have a modded c5z car that I use for track days. Looking for suggestions from anyone with experience with c5 and c6 cars on the track. I have done about all I can with mine without doing aero and permanent changes to the car and am thinking starting from scratch would be wiser than messing up my low miles car. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be wrong but it sounds like you're looking for a new car for track use. It's the best way to go because double duty cars rarely stay that way. They tend to turn into track only cars in the end. I've had this happen twice haha. Thought I would have learned from the first one. Honestly the best thing you can do is find a car already built to what you're looking for. May cost a little more up front but always cheaper in the long run.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

just what specifically are you asking
Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Are you talking about something for some competition use, or just DE days? If competition, I'd look at something already built for the sanctioning body rules you plan to drive in. That way most of the big ticket items that don't wear out, as well as the nickle-and-dime stuff that really hit the budget are done. Built, even partially-built race cars can be had for pennies on the dollar for what the owner has spent building the car, and a ton less than what you'd spend buying something and converting it.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In this economy, you can buy track only cars pretty darned cheap (comparatively). Arguably the best bang for the buck is a roadrace stock car. Fast, full approved cage, fire system, probably dry sump, quick change, coolers, turn key components that are available everywhere for cheap. You can choose to race it or just do track days. Sure to cost a lot less than a worked-over Vette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seprX8U5Ilo

Andy1
Old 10-21-2011, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Andy1
In this economy, you can buy track only cars pretty darned cheap (comparatively). Arguably the best bang for the buck is a roadrace stock car. Fast, full approved cage, fire system, probably dry sump, quick change, coolers, turn key components that are available everywhere for cheap. You can choose to race it or just do track days. Sure to cost a lot less than a worked-over Vette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seprX8U5Ilo

Andy1
Exactly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEdPpbNan5o

GTA type car at Daytona
Old 10-21-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. I apologize for not being more specific. Sometimes in asking questions it helps me solidfy in my own mind what I am really after. The stock car route is too heavy. My car is faster around a track than the gta car shown as it is now. I am wondering how light I can get a c6 that is stripped?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. I apologize for not being more specific. Sometimes in asking questions it helps me solidfy in my own mind what I am really after. The stock car route is too heavy. My car is faster around a track than the gta car shown as it is now. I am wondering how light I can get a c6 that is stripped?
The Stock Car in the video at Daytona weighs less than 2500# without driver. (it is now a Camaro) I have NEVER seen a production based Corvette run anywhere near as fast at Daytona as our car. 1:57.1 at Daytona. Henry Gilberts 427 ci 700 HP monster usually runs 1:58-1:59, that is the fastest I have seen. At Road Atlanta, Roebling etc, only Bob Mayer's, and Jerry Onk's super fast 427ci SCCA STO cars are in the same ball park.

The Road Atlanta record for a TA2/GTA car is like 1:27.7 Bob Stretch
V8 StockCar GTA record 1:28.4 late model Monte Carlo stock car Kurt Roehrig.

These are not NASCAR type chassis, they are closer to SCCA GT-1.

The car as bodied now:

Old 10-21-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

I stand corrected then. I was only looking at the speeds shown in the video and the length of the straights and the speed through the corners. My car hits 145 lots quicker than car in video and corners at least as fast so I assumed it weighed about the same as a nascar stocker, my bad. If it only weighs 2500 lbs I am sure it is quite fast. Maybe the speedo numbers in the video are inaccurate. I have been on the track at Miller Motorsports with a "stock car" and lap times were about the same. Thanks for straightening me out. I watch these guys with lightwt cars (1600 lbs) drive around the tracks with very little drama and straight line speeds 20 mph less than the 'fast' cars which cannot keep up with the little guys. I am going to get lighter.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

I stand corrected then. I was only looking at the speeds shown in the video and the length of the straights and the speed through the corners. My car hits 145 lots quicker than car in video and corners at least as fast so I assumed it weighed about the same as a nascar stocker, my bad. If it only weighs 2500 lbs I am sure it is quite fast. Maybe the speedo numbers in the video are inaccurate. I have been on the track at Miller Motorsports with a "stock car" and lap times were about the same. Thanks for straightening me out. I watch these guys with lightwt cars (1600 lbs) drive around the tracks with very little drama and straight line speeds 20 mph less than the 'fast' cars which cannot keep up with the little guys. I am going to get lighter.
There is a guy on Corvette Forum under the autocrossing and road racing area
that detailed his "diet" for his C5 racer. If you do a search on there you could find it. He did get his car down pretty light for a tub car.

The fast GTA type cars hit about 160 down road atlanta's back straight, a GT-1 is probably close to 180.

Our carbureted Ls1 Camaro hit 182 at Daytona.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for info...will check it out. 180 is really going. Is that a road race setup at daytona?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for info...will check it out. 180 is really going. Is that a road race setup at daytona?
Other than adjusting the ride height a bit, and go up on tire pressure a few pounds, and slight change in shock rebound, it is our normal road race flat track set up.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Teching In

The most likely way to reduce weight on a dual purpose car is aftermarket parts.

For instance, Volk has a TE37 Corvette wheel for the C5/C6. That's 18 x 9.5 +35 front and 19 x 12 +57 rear. The front wheels would be about 18 pounds each but very strong.

Braille has a 21 pound battery with a CCA of 550.

A mechanically adjustable Recaro seat would probably save weight without being a very lean race seat.

Weight could be saved at either the muffer, midpipe or headers and depending on the car since noise would be a concern on a dual purpose car
Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

I would have gone the stock car direction if I knew then, what I know now. Classic right? Ha.

Quick Reply: Track Day Car