Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Dump Front Bumper to Lose Weight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dump Front Bumper to Lose Weight?

I know the drag race boys do this, but will it impact cars that turn? Does it stiffen the chassis, or is it really just a bumper? Sure would be some weight of the right part of the car.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, because the front bumper weighs SO DAMN MUCH
That was sarcasm. Leave it on.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can take it out but you will need to fab up some type of support brace totake its place. All of the honey comb cussioning actually weighs quite a bit. I am planning on taking all of mine out, but its just to facilitate an air tunnel to the radiator.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Appreciate your comments, guys.

Zkiller, I'm told the bumper weighs 19 lbs, which isn't that much, but I have a list of 5 other items about like that, so I'm looking at shaving off 100 lbs, which should be noticeable. Another reason I want to eliminate the bumper is because it's one of the things that block airflow through the nose of the car into the radiator, and I'm converting over like Nata is.

Nata, I saw the black foam stuff in there, but didn't realize it was heavy. I was just planning on blowing a couple of holes through it for air to flow through. But knowing this, I may just remove it. I sort of assumed it supported the soft nose of the car, though.

I think I will remove the bumper and fab up a brace to take it's place, probably from light gauge steel angle stock. I have some already and it's quite easy to MIG weld. Or maybe aluminum would be lighter; I can weld that also. How strong does this thing need to be? What does it support?

Last edited by Cal; 04-23-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would use a light gauge steel for a bit of added strength. Most of that supports the front bumper. But there is a steel reenforcement bar in there that you will have to remove that is quite heavy. It is sitting directly in the path of the air to the radiator.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Hmm I think what I was refering to as the bumper is actually the reinforcement bar you're talking about. Then there's that black foam "crushable" stuff in front of this bar. I think what you are saying is I can remove both of these items, but will need to replace them with a light weight brace to support the outer shell or skin on the front of the car. Then I will need a pair of ducts and a pannel to cover the opening on the bottom of the car in front of the radiator where the air goes in now. This should be an interesting project . . . good thing I have an autometer temp gauge, I may need it to test this mod.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, the foam, the honey comb and the reenforcement bar all need to come out. Off the top of my head I think you will be saving close to or better than 40 lbs off the nose of the car.

Here is a picture of what will be coming out. This is off an LT1 car so it doesnt show the foam stuff. The bar that you will have to fab up will be similar to the one pictured. This one is made by BMR, but they can not and WILL NOT sell one to you for insurance reasons. Beleive me when I say I have tried.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/buildup/comparison.jpg

It will look something like this when mounted.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/buildu...er-tubular.jpg

Once the nose is on the car it should look similar to this:
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/buildup/GrilleCut.jpg

I have seen guys with track only cars that have made the mounts with alot less material and they seem to work fine. The BIG downside to doing this is that you are risking alot when you drive on the street in the event you hit anything.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:05 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

OK thanks for posting the links, the pictures are very interesting! Too bad BMR can't sell those bars anymore, that looked like a nice one. But I can understand the liability aspect. I'd like to see how that car turned out after it was finished. Are you planning opening it up all the way like that by removing the center section, or just running twin ducts in from the round openings?

EDIT: Oh ok, I see the the picture of the final result now, I like it.

Last edited by Cal; 04-25-2004 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

I will be removing the entire center section.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I removed the complete front bumper, cutoff the the bumper mounting brackets, and got rid of the foam stuff too. If you are worried about the nose of your car dimpling in at highspeeds you could probably just make some small aluminium brackets. That bmr piece is nice but it looks just as heavy as the stock stuff. You might as well leave your stock one in unless of course you are doing it to route more air to your radiator.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yeah I think that massive honeycomb may be only on the LT1 cars and the 3rd gens. Those cars had a much longer nose piece also. I've been looking at my car, and I think all it has is this relatively small black foam piece. I think what I'm going to do is take the foam out and see how heavy it really is. If it's lighter than anything I could possibly make myself, I'll just make a hole in it for the air to go through then reinstall it. I want to both loose weight and make a path for air to flow through.

Last edited by Cal; 04-26-2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

the foam piece isn't the heavy part its the actual bumper itself.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My front bumper does not dimple at high speeds. I have been over 150mph many times and if it dimpled I am sure my buddy on the bike in front of me would have told me. I took the front and rear bumper support out. Completely out. As for 40lbs off the nose. I doubt it.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Hmmm rear bumper too; how hard is that one to get off and how much does it weigh?
Old 04-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSICK
the foam piece isn't the heavy part its the actual bumper itself.
Yeah that's what I was original refering to as the bumper, but then this honeycomb stuff came up, which I think is in the LT1 and older cars only. At any rate, what I'm talking about is removing both the foam and the metal that goes accross the front of the car, since both block the air path into the radiator.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear bumper is easy to take off as well. I think both front and rear bumper supports together drop 43lbs.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

I can only tell you on my '94 Firebird the front bumper weighed 19 lbs. I ran with it off briefly but just reinstalled it after lightening it up quite a bit. A LT1 Firebird has a lot of white styrofoam on the front of the metal bumper to conform to the nose. I believe a LT1 Camaro is different, and has black plastic on the front. Don't know what LS1 cars have.

I will also be transforming my car into a front breather if all goes to plan, but it's not a very simple job, so other things are higher in priority for me right now.

Boyce, the guy who made your cage should be able to make a good cm replacement bumper much like Randy Mackintosh did. I'm planning on going that route.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:42 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

19 pounds sounds quite significant. I think I might remove it but leave the white styrofoam there with some small piece of aluminum to just sort of hold the styrofoam in place.

94 bird, when you convert to a front-breather are you going to box in the opening under the car just in front of the radiator? Seems like that would be necessary to develop a high-presure region in front of the radiator.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, I'll box in that area. Already have a scoop I should be able to use. Bought it at a local place when the guy was selling all his SCCA Trans Am parts. It's carbon fiber, which should last until I have my first incident.

Quick Reply: Dump Front Bumper to Lose Weight?