Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Autobahn Country Club NEWBIE! Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autobahn Country Club NEWBIE! Tips?

Hey guys, I will be racing for the first time on an actual road course with my Z28 this Sunday. I work at a Subaru dealership & we rent out the course every year in the summer for customer who purchased either a STi or a WRX. Although the employees can also race even if they don't have a Subaru. So I'm going to try it out this year. I really don't have much at all done to my car suspension or braking wise. I've got all my modifications listed below in my signature. Is there any tips on what I may want to be careful about while racing? Anything specific to the F-Bodies that I should look out for? I used to race in a competitive go-karting league when I was younger at Chicago Indoor Racing so I have some what of a grasp on braking, turning & accelerating at the track. I also have some 315's in the back & 275's in the front, hopefully that may help me stick a bit better!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would just make sure all the basic stuff is in good shape. Make sure brakes and fluid is tip top.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have the brakes, power steer cooler, dot 4 or 5 break fluid. it's not the size of your tyres but the type, 'semi slicks'. 4 or 5 point harness,
You and your car are not ready for a road course
Old 07-04-2013, 10:41 AM
wrencher

At least a brake fluid flush & some decent track pads for the front.
The stock style pads wont hold up long.
You'll be able to do many more laps & learn more with the brakes.

I've been surprised in a stock F body with just braided hoses & race brake pads.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember you're not actually racing, but mostly learning how you and your car work together on the track. Do a full brake fluid flush and get some decent pads in front like wrencher says, and you'll be alright. About the only consistent complaint I've heard with stock(ish) 4th gens on the road course is that their power steering gets hot and pushes fluid past the filler cap. Do a bit of research on this - there are some very cheap things you can do to mitigate this.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

I was there yesterday with a friend who was racing with NSSCC, paid 15 bucks to spectate while he raced his 03 Z06. Best 15 bucks I ever spent, because I learned a lot just watching and looking at everyone's setups. Not just their cars, but what they brought, preparations, adjustments after laps, it was really informative.

I talked with a few guys there in the paddock, looked over two REALLY nice Fbody cars that were there racing as well. Owners were never there when I went by, but they did quite well.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sandman2100
I was there yesterday with a friend who was racing with NSSCC, paid 15 bucks to spectate while he raced his 03 Z06. Best 15 bucks I ever spent, because I learned a lot just watching and looking at everyone's setups. Not just their cars, but what they brought, preparations, adjustments after laps, it was really informative.

I talked with a few guys there in the paddock, looked over two REALLY nice Fbody cars that were there racing as well. Owners were never there when I went by, but they did quite well.
The only F-Body can that I saw was mine. Was this one of them that you saw? It was more than likely by a bunch of Subarus.

But a recap of my run this weekend, it went really good. The only problems that I ran into was my rear tires rubbing on my inner fenders a tad bit, my brake rotors being warped some & also a whining noise coming from what I believe is either the trans or the rear diff. My guess was it is the differential though. I didn't run it after the noise I heard but I still had fun! It's much different than the 1/4 mile.

Also ls1 1990 VN, it was not a race. It was more so just learning the course & your car. The majority of the cars out there were bone stock actually. There were no lap times & you drove with an instructor in their car first. Then an instructor went out with you in your own car.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

I went Saturday, South Track.

Quick Reply: Autobahn Country Club NEWBIE! Tips?