Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Road courses for street cars in Midwest

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Road courses for street cars in Midwest

Are there any tracks near St. Louis Missouri, where us weekend warriors can go give it hell? (not autox, full road course)
Old 05-24-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

I can't think of anything close off hand, but you have Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI; IRP in Indy, IN; Heartland Park in Topeka, KS; Mid-America Motorplex, Pacific Junction, IA
Old 05-25-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been on IRP with NFME last year. Does IRP open the gates for weekend warrior road racing?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Gateway has a road course.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep. But they don't let weekend warriors on it. When they do, it's very expensive.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

I remember seeing open track days (or something relatively like it) at Mid-Ohio last year. Not cheap though, and maybe too far a drive from where you are, but I though I'd through it out there. A helluva lot nicer track than IRP is for sure though
Old 06-13-2004, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tech
Yep. But they don't let weekend warriors on it. When they do, it's very expensive.
Running your car on the track is very expensive in the 1st place. Gateway has 4 dates with the BMW/Porsche clubs where you can get both track time and instruction.

there are also many tracks within towing distance where you can also get track time and instruction from, usually, SCCA racers.

Yes a week end of 4 Saturday sessions and 4 Sunday session will cost between $275 and $450. The cost of admission is only part of the deal though. When you get serious about going fast you will buck up for $400 a set brake pads that last 2-3 events. Tires that cost $1000 that last 4 events, etc.

And then if you want to go to great tracks (Gateway is good but the banking really eats tires and after you've run it a dozen times or so you will want to go to some real road courses (Gateway = oval infield road course)) like Road America you will need to figure in tow costs (fuel, hotels, etc.)

I've always had the need for speed & last year did Gateway 2 times, Mid-America Motorplex (Omaha), Road America (can't beat the 4500' straights and 165 mph ) twice, and Barber Park (Birmingham & the greatest race facility in the world). It cost over $10 grand

This year I'm restoring a 69 Camaro instead
Old 06-14-2004, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess expensive is a relative term. And it depends on your equipment.

I've been hitting road courses in driver's education events since 2000. I attended 9 weekends last year alone!

My '98 has 80K+ miles on it and the last 20K have been mostly on a road course.

I invested about $2K in a brake package that can take that kind of abuse. It's a big investment, but my expendibles cost went WAY down. I ran all of last year on a single set of rotors. I replaced them this winter (at a cost of $300) and had the old ones machined and are now spares. Brake pads lasted the whole year as well, but I installed new ones with the new rotors (at a cost of $200). So, I am set for a LONG while on brakes.

My car makes 380 at the wheels and will hold it's own. It's not a FTD candidate, but I have a blast, anyway. I got it hot last year and now have oil consumption issues. So, I am having a new shortblock built. Also, I don't rev to the moon. No need. Didn't Smokey Yunik say "Horsepower sells motors, Torque wins races?" So once the torque curve starts dropping off, one is winding the motor unnecessarily. JMHO.

I bought the LGM radiator with built in oil cooler. So that will help the motor live a long time.

I have been very pleased with my Kuhmo Victoracers. I can get 3 or 4 weekends out of a set, depending upon the track configuration.

The cost of a DE varies ... I've seen it as much as $325 for a weekend and as low as $200 for a weekend. So, it will depend ...

If you decide to hit a track, make sure you put AT LEAST 6.5 qts of oil in the car to prevent cavitating the pump in high G, high rpm left handers. Personally, I run 7 qts and ahve no issues. 7 qts will almost fit under the pan baffle. I have witnessed LS1s spin rod bearings due to oil starvation.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Consider Hallett about 45 Min West of Tulsa Ok on 412. They have High Speed Driving on the last weekend of each month. The cost is about $75.00/day plus a annual license of I think $30.00. You could get there from St Louis by taking 44 west all the way to Tulsa then 412 West. There are typically 5-6 20 min sessions per day and no passing in the corners. I race in the COMMA Series there but let my son drive in the High Speed driving. Excellant way to get some inexpensive track time.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

You might also check out Putman Park ( west of Indy) and Gingerman (South Haven, MI). Both have several DE club events.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Launching!

The Gingerman has open track nights during the week for $60 a pop. 5:30 - 8:30pm
Old 11-24-2004, 11:43 AM
Teching In

gingerman is a excellent place to run that is both competitve and very safe, have anyone ever ran there i attend a couple nights and year and have been out there with a couple f-body and c5's.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Launching!

I was there earlier this year in my WS6. Went there with a local Corvette club. Lots of fun!!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:08 PM
10 Second Club

barber motorsorts is incredible!! def recommed going there...

Mid ohio is nice a little bumpy tho

Putnam is a neat short track..

Granted I dont have any experience in a car, only in skip barber formula doge and kart racing
Old 12-25-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ive been looking for a place to auto-x around here...
I heard there was a place some where in wentsville (sp?)

BTW do you guys (ST.L guys) live anywhere ner HWY K? Thats where i am.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Supraman
Consider Hallett about 45 Min West of Tulsa Ok on 412. They have High Speed Driving on the last weekend of each month. The cost is about $75.00/day plus a annual license of I think $30.00. You could get there from St Louis by taking 44 west all the way to Tulsa then 412 West. There are typically 5-6 20 min sessions per day and no passing in the corners. I race in the COMMA Series there but let my son drive in the High Speed driving. Excellant way to get some inexpensive track time.
I second that vote for Hallett. We rented out the track and had a blast. Very nice facility.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I thought this thread died long ago.

Money for parts/maintanence isn't a concern. I'm not afraid to pay to play.

I was just worred about super expensive track fees (ie. $250 for a day) or something silly like that. Gateway has a very bad reputation from people in my area mainly because of how they run their drag racing program. I could live with 4-5 events a year and it seems like I might be able to do that with NFME and that Porsche event at Gateway. Anybody know where I can get more info on the Porsche event?

BTW, I live on 141 between 40 and 44.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Teching In

NASAProracing HPDE $255 for two days at road atlanta, I run with them here in cali.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

Quick Reply: Road courses for street cars in Midwest