Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

New CAM Rules (T, C, S)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CAM Rules (T, C, S)

So i'm sure there is a decent amount of people on here that don't want to run hoosiers , or just have a car too modified to compete in the normal SCCA class.

Who currently runs CAM classes?

Will anyone join because of the Vipers and vette's allowed in CAM S now?

I might be doing some CAM S this year....

Old 01-20-2016, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

I run CAM T with my '78 TA. I read a lot on other websites about how people don't like this rule of that rule in CAM, that the rules are keeping them from being competitive.... The way I see it is that at least there is a CAM class that allows the cool cars to go run. I'm not ever going to be nationally competitive so I am not likely to push the limits of the rules. I am glad to see more events with this class offered and hope that more and more of us old car folks go use the cars more.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

first I agree, at least their is a CAM class....

and what wold keep them from being competitive? I thought the rules are pretty open.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I run CAM T with mine.

OP, why would you run CAM S instead of CAM C (assuming you have an Fbody and not a Corvette?)
Old 01-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I run CAM T with mine.

OP, why would you run CAM S instead of CAM C (assuming you have an Fbody and not a Corvette?)
I do have an F body, but probably trying to sell this summer.

My car in background, my borrowed right for this summer in front.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm trying to finish up my 95 to run CAM C this year. The last couple years, I've co-drove some with my son in his 2nd gen. In one region, he runs CAM T, the other region he runs only has one CAM class. They group everyone together. I think because of car count initially and just waiting to see if it catches on.
I'm not up on all the scca rules, but I don't think I can run ESP in my 95 with a LS conversion. Plus I don't really want to afford 2 sets of wheels & tires. My cars not a dd, but one set of wheels and 200tw tires is were I'm headed.

Not sure, but I think 78TA is referring to a thread on PT about some having issue with the interior section of the rules for cars they already have built & want to run....
custom dash, no carpet, etc...
Old 01-22-2016, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will be in AS this year if you need a seat. I will be attending Wilmington, DC, and the last Wilmington. Hit me up on facebook if need a ride.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camarokid91
I will be in AS this year if you need a seat. I will be attending Wilmington, DC, and the last Wilmington. Hit me up on facebook if need a ride.
Thanks for the offer. If I don't do drive hopefully we can finally meet and have some drinks. If your friend with Tyo, then we need to meet.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95wannabe

Not sure, but I think 78TA is referring to a thread on PT about some having issue with the interior section of the rules for cars they already have built & want to run....
custom dash, no carpet, etc...
That's it, you got the gist. I don't know, I guess some of these folks may make money on these races. I don't know how much Optima or SCCA pays for wins but I would rather hang out with the guys who work on their cars during the week to go have fun with them on the weekend because it's FUN, not because they are going to ensue they can go .1 sec faster.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Yea i've been lurking the Pro Touring and Corvette forums..

Looks like Pro Touring is 1000% times too focused on interior floor/door/dash bits (IMO)

Corvette forums seem to have a mix of a lot of people jumping in for the fun, and then the people foreseeing the slippery slop into street tire race cars.

I think it will be a hoot!!
Old 01-25-2016, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Being this is our first year of doing anything in AutoX, but it looks as if my son will be running Cam T.
Not sure about the wife in her WRX. I noticed the SCCA rulebook kind of jumps around and is vague in some areas. Nothing like NHRA or AMA. They are pretty precise.

It's like a Smokey Yunick type rule book. If it's NOT in the rules, then it's legal.

But no national competitions here either. Just a local SCCA to teach them to drive better and have fun doing it.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

I preferred the CAM single class because it let my friends and I get into a class together.

Not that it matters a ton, I just go to have fun not to be competitive with strangers.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I preferred the CAM single class because it let my friends and I get into a class together.

Not that it matters a ton, I just go to have fun not to be competitive with strangers.
Well I mean it seems pretty easy to compare times of each other regardless of pax, and I know some people hate it... pax?
Old 01-26-2016, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

You are correct and we do. But our local SCCA gives out a little small trophy thing for each class and it's not much fun getting one because you were the only person in your class. Trivial I know, just thinking out loud for conversation sake haha.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

I get it man. I won my 1st year autocross local ESP trophy... Battling myself 3/4 of the year, haha. The good part about my region is, I was apart of the novice championship (aka less than 2 years experience less than 6 events) which was pax'd bases and I was very off my pax running 300tw street tires, but it was great fun battling and closely all year to finish 3 points behind.

After that I just started running whatever class my friends were or pro pax to battle that way.

Quick Reply: New CAM Rules (T, C, S)