Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project NakedFox: '89 Mustang Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay cool I hadn't actually heard of that shop surprisingly but I definitely want to go check out the place sometime! Thanks for the quick reply and I might see you down there if I'm ever there!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOVE this build! Any updates?
Old 02-22-2016, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TxFireman1972
LOVE this build! Any updates?
Recently bought a twin disc setup as I just started on my driveline. Trans should be purchased in a few weeks!
Old 04-23-2016, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Update:

Purchased a brand new Tremec T56 Magnum which showed up a few days ago. Car was pulled out of storage to get the motor, clutch, and transmission put in.

The front end suspension is all Afco, but the engine mounts kind of threw me off...they only allowed 3 bolts to be secured to the block. Additionally, we had to widen one hole per mount to correctly mount them to the engine.

Other than that, it went fairly smoothly, and the motor fit great! Transmission crossmember is being fabricated due to the unique rear end setup (IRS). Cell phone pictures for now....***The wheels are temporary and are only being used to roll it around *** before anyone flames me lol.

Last edited by Z28-4-Chris; 04-23-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:55 AM
9 Second Club

seems like most of the mounts use 3 holes instead of the 4. My UPR mounts are like that and been running them for 12-14 years now. looking good
Old 04-24-2016, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
seems like most of the mounts use 3 holes instead of the 4. My UPR mounts are like that and been running them for 12-14 years now. looking good
Thanks. I was saying to myself "this is the only way these fit!"
Old 04-25-2016, 07:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Z28-4-Chris
Recently bought a twin disc setup as I just started on my driveline. Trans should be purchased in a few weeks!
Which one did you end up going with?

Car is coming along great! We like the look of those adjustable camber plates.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Centerforce
Which one did you end up going with?

Car is coming along great! We like the look of those adjustable camber plates.
Thanks! Hopefully they will come in handy when dialing the front end in.

As far as the clutch, I went with one that starts with an M and ends with ONSTER.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Update:

I purchased new front and rear bumpers, and a 2" cowl hood from LMR and they fit absolutely perfect. No adjustments needed. There is about a 1" gap between the blower lid and the hood. I wanted a small of a cowl as possible and the 2" still keeps it subtle but says "I'm ready to party"

They are getting paint this week, and then the entire car will be cut and buffed.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

This post will put the build current. All of the bumpers and mouldings are installed, and fit great! We fabricated a customer transmission crossmember, as most of the ones i've seen seemed inadequate. The IRS has maximum motorsport bushings installed which we will have to shave down to achieve an acceptable degree of tolerance of pinion angle (i think it's +/- 2.5*).

(wheels are temporary; just used to roll around the garage and transport.)

fit and finish of the bumpers was spot on. I spent a little bit more money on these, and went with OEM Ford tooling.

Went with black 5.0 badges. I wanted an OE look to the car, but with subtle black accents. Besides, having a 6.0 badge would probably draw negative attention, and damage to my car lol.

Can't say enough good things about the Afco K-member. Fit and finish is top notch, and it positioned the transmission so well that the shifter sat dead nuts in the factory tunnel hole!

That's all for now. Beginning to piece together fueling, cooling, interior, and wheel parts at the moment.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Refinished the quarter windows a few months ago, but just now had a chance to get a few good pictures of the final product. As some of you may know, the rubber on the windows becomes pitted and dry rotted after 30 years, and you can no longer buy brand new ones. New Old Stock ones show up on ebay from time to time, and the price is around $1500 dollars for a set! I think mine turned out pretty good!

Old 06-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Whatd you do to refinish that trim?
Old 06-02-2016, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FrossB
Whatd you do to refinish that trim?

wetsand, clean, prime, SEM semi-gloss black spraypaint.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

They turned out great!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Update:

Quite a while has passed since the last update. I recently spent a lot of $$$ in parts, and just collecting piece by piece to get this car finished.

Currently as the car sits; back out of storage! For fueling, I went with a 03-04 Cobra baffled tank, simply because of the usage of the vehicle (road course, autox) and to avoid the constant fuel starvation issues that plague the stock fox tank. Tank is pictured.

I also went with the On3 Performance Triple Fuel hat assembly. The only reason I did is because a USED dual pump oem cobra fuel hat was $250. Only running one Deatschwerks 340lph pump for now, with room to grow in the future. Stock Cobra fuel level sender worked with no modification as well. Only issue make we had is getting the return fitting to fit into the hat. We ended up having to mill a little bit off of the fitting in order to make it work. -8 and -6 AN.

Our friends at Holley had this nice fuel pressure regulator that we ended up using.

Fuel system all buttoned up, showing how the cobra tank fit perfectly in the stock location.

I decided to go with a stock pcm and a standalone harness. We picked up a 58x harness from Howell with a DBW pedal and O2 sensors for a great price. Quality is top notch.

Next task was finishing the cooling and the front drive of the motor. I bought the Griffin LS Swap radiator combo with 2 12" SPAL fans (1750cfm/fan). Very impressed with this setup. It even came with fan relays! Only downside is that it didn't have any mounting tabs, so some fabrication was required. Turned out awesome! It wasn't solid mounted, as the mounts that were used had some deflection so the radiator wouldnt break welds from chassis flex.

Booster is from a C6 Corvette, and the master is from a RHD 2001 Chevy Blazer. Fit awesome, and saved a lot of room.

I bought some cheap swap headers for around $330. They fit as expected; took around 4 hours to get them to fit. For others reference, AFCO K member with LS mounts adjusted all the way to the drivers side.

Front drive installed, with stock pulley for now. Should be around 8-9psi.

Radiator hoses. Upper hose was just picked off the wall at a local parts store and cut to fit. The lower was fabbed and painted satin black. Looks awesome.

That's all for now, thanks for looking. Getting closer and closer!
Old 01-25-2017, 07:14 AM
9 Second Club

nice setup, I also used the Cobra tank with the On3 hat. Very nice setup for the price.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:17 AM
9 Second Club

just noticed, if your trying to race any NHRA events and they might have a tight tech inspection, The regulator is not allowed to be mounted on the firewall. I once failed tech at a NMRA event because of it.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
just noticed, if your trying to race any NHRA events and they might have a tight tech inspection, The regulator is not allowed to be mounted on the firewall. I once failed tech at a NMRA event because of it.
Nah, no drag racing for me. Just hpde and autox
Old 01-25-2017, 07:27 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice clean work, love it!
This should be a really fun car to drive.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

WOW. clean ,well thought out build.

Quick Reply: Project NakedFox: '89 Mustang Coupe