Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2v mustang gt vs ls1

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
Why are you literally sitting here and trying to tell us in a basic analogy, that a 3 inch erect ***** is just as good as a 6 inch *****?

I really feel as if this is what you are doing.
No, everyone knows that the LS1 is better than the NA 2v in every single way. I'm pointing this out.

Hio claims something that no one has ever done, he can't find a single other example, and it's valid simply because he says so.

I claim something that is actually possible, has been done, and I can provide other examples and I "lost credibility".

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
I'm 529rwhp and I'm on the stock 10 bolt with a T/A girdle cover. If it breaks, it breaks. But I'm not going to sit around not modding, or running my car because I'm worried about it. Yeah, mines an auto so it'll handle more abuse, but if it were an m6 I'd just not run slicks and not launch as hard. But I'd still run at the track though and enjoy my cars.

Either way, 2v n/a

Is it your daily driver? Were you buried so far into work that you would have work 12 hour days for a solid month before you could even see the light of day? Cause that was my situation when I had those Fbodies.

Where I'm at now, don't have that issue, but again, don't want a roll bar in my car and I don't want to be kicked out after the first pass.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Nope, it was on bottle.

My loaded 99GT cost me $21000, and there were 99 loaded SS's that stickered at $30,000

This was back in 99. Tell me about it. Back then 13.9's stock for a new car that cost $21k was a deal. It took every bolt on, bottle, and suspension mod to make that 2v "fast". It hung just fine with 04 Cobra's that had 2.76 pulley, intake, cat back and tune. I miss my 04 SY Cobra.

What about a z28?

And mod for mod, the ls1 is going to respond better N/A
Old 06-01-2016, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He is speaking about a blower not NA.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by JC316
No, everyone knows that the LS1 is better than the NA 2v in every single way. I'm pointing this out.

Hio claims something that no one has ever done, he can't find a single other example, and it's valid simply because he says so.

I claim something that is actually possible, has been done, and I can provide other examples and I "lost credibility".

Is it your daily driver? Were you buried so far into work that you would have work 12 hour days for a solid month before you could even see the light of day? Cause that was my situation when I had those Fbodies.

Where I'm at now, don't have that issue, but again, don't want a roll bar in my car and I don't want to be kicked out after the first pass.
And yet in my specific situation I chose the 2v back then and it worked out very well for me.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

And yet in my specific situation I chose the 2v back then and it worked out very well for me.
Yep, anything can be made fast. The 2V just cant compete NA. Slap a blower on and things change quite a bit.

Can't wait for the tears when I get my T-bird to run 12's NA.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 408-99-f
What about a z28?

And mod for mod, the ls1 is going to respond better N/A
A z28 was a great buy in 99. I think it stickered for around $24k while the non ram air TA was around $27k

If $24k was the budget, back then a 99 GT + couple thousands in mods vs 99 z28 is a wash.

http://transam.bambeezer.com/2000windowsticker.jpg

http://poltergeist.us/images/99Z28/9...ow_Sticker.jpg
Old 06-01-2016, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, anything can be made fast. The 2V just cant compete NA. Slap a blower on and things change quite a bit.

Can't wait for the tears when I get my T-bird to run 12's NA.
Yep and in my situation I was a good bit faster at 11.7s after having spent $30k over my friends that had the Ram Air TA and Camaro SS at 13.2s that spent the same amount.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

I remember looking at the times in 99 of the GT vs the Cobra. Both were around 13.9 in the 1/4 mile.

LOL anyone can buy a roller and go fast on a good budget with the right mods.
No, just no. He can build that kit on my 22k mile ls1 ta, or another new car. Do you not understand what I was saying, or what? Using your example (except fbody's could be had for cheaper than 30k new), I meant that you dumped 10k into that heap and only ran 11.70's, when if he had bought an ls1 fbody for even 25k, it cost him less than $800 in his whole turbo setup and ran low 10's. You comprehending now?

Yes, at the time when I cammed my car with the supporting mods, it was my daily driver. I drove it 7 days a week. I also was working 12 hour days too. That is why I paid CBI Streetcars to do that build for me, because I didn't have any time, and I was too worn out to do it.

Now that it's turbo'd, I drive it 4-5 days a week and I drive it hard. I'm not really sure what any of this has to do with modding your car though? It shouldn't matter if it's your daily if you want to mod your car or not, if you want it modded, you'll mod it.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

No, just no. He can build that kit on my 22k mile ls1 ta, or another new car. Do you not understand what I was saying, or what? Using your example (except fbody's could be had for cheaper than 30k new), I meant that you dumped 10k into that heap and only ran 11.70's, when if he had bought an ls1 fbody for even 25k, it cost him less than $800 in his whole turbo setup and ran low 10's.
So what would be the total price of having a new 99 Z28 back then with full interior no weight reduction DD that runs 10s reliably? It's certainly not $25.8K...

Show me a mod list + sticker price of a loaded 99 Z28 (my 99 GT was loaded) that could run 11.70's reliably back then. You've got a stock 99 Z28 car that you just spent $25k for that runs low 13's and you have $5k to work with. You just spent $2k on a rear end and gears... Another $3k on N2O and other mods..... Congrats....your running the same times as my 99 GT was with similar reliability with the same $$ invested

I could have spent the $30k on a fox and ran low times all day. I wanted a new car that I could put into the 11's under $30k, not some car that you slap a $800 home made turbo on it and the rear end breaks lol.

Here's a $47K new Camaro that runs low 12's and a Mustang that runs low 13's for $43k

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-4

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 06-01-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

N
Yes, at the time when I cammed my car with the supporting mods, it was my daily driver. I drove it 7 days a week. I also was working 12 hour days too. That is why I paid CBI Streetcars to do that build for me, because I didn't have any time, and I was too worn out to do it.

Now that it's turbo'd, I drive it 4-5 days a week and I drive it hard. I'm not really sure what any of this has to do with modding your car though? It shouldn't matter if it's your daily if you want to mod your car or not, if you want it modded, you'll mod it.

That's the difference, I do all of my own work. Yours breaks and you drop it off at the shop, mine breaks and I am either not fixing something for my business, or I am driving a car off the lot while my daily sits for a few months.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

So what would be the total price of having a new 99 Z28 back then with full interior no weight reduction DD that runs 10s reliably? It's certainly not $25.8K...

Show me a mod list + sticker price of a loaded 99 Z28 (my 99 GT was loaded) that could run 11.70's reliably back then. You've got a stock 99 Z28 car that you just spent $25k for that runs low 13's and you have $5k to work with. You just spent $2k on a rear end and gears... Another $3k on N2O and other mods..... Congrats....your running the same times as my 99 GT was with similar reliability with the same $$ invested.
You don't get it. Why do I need a rear end and gears on a stalled auto? Both a waste of money, even with my turbo setup now. Let's make this easy for you since you're stuck on it being 30k. So if the car was 30k and he put his less than $800 turbo setup on it, he has a car that is only $800- what you have in yours, but is worth a lot more, runs low 10's if he wants it to, or he can turn the boost down to make a very reliable solid 550rwhp car. You following me yet?
That's the difference, I do all of my own work. Yours breaks and you drop it off at the shop, mine breaks and I am either not fixing something for my business, or I am driving a car off the lot while my daily sits for a few months.
No, that one time I didn't do my work, I did my entire turbo build, cam swap, trans out to rebuild, k member out, the motor is out right now....I've had everything but the interior out of my car. I had a lot of other stuff going on at that time which I am not going into that on here, because it's personal. I break my stuff, I fix it. But I am not afraid to build my car in fear of it breaking.

Motor is out right now at my house, with the wife not happy about the turbo setup and car parts laying all over my basement. I have pics of all the work I've done, not that I have to show you for proof that I work on my own cars.

Last edited by Deeohgie69; 06-01-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, that one time I didn't do my work, I did my entire turbo build, cam swap, trans out to rebuild, k member out, the motor is out right now....I've had everything but the interior out of my car. I had a lot of other stuff going on at that time which I am not going into that on here, because it's personal. I break my stuff, I fix it. But I am not afraid to build my car in fear of it breaking.
You're not getting what I'm saying. My 98 was the only car I had. If I blew it up while doing something unnecessary, I was going to lose a lot money. Either by driving a business car, which should be for sale, or by stopping work on cars.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

You don't get it. Why do I need a rear end and gears on a stalled auto? Both a waste of money, even with my turbo setup now. Let's make this easy for you since you're stuck on it being 30k. So if the car was 30k and he put his less than $800 turbo setup on it, he has a car that is only $800- what you have in yours, but is worth a lot more, runs low 10's if he wants it to, or he can turn the boost down to make a very reliable solid 550rwhp car. You following me yet?
So where are all the stock ls1's on here with just an $800 turbo setup running 10's? Why did I not encounter any of these new Z28 cars with that turbo setup back when I had my new 99 GT? Why instead was I looking at $30k Camaro SS's and Ram Air's with the same money vested in my rear view mirror all day every day? Why didn't they just slap on that $800 turbo setup instead of being car lengths behind?
Old 06-01-2016, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

You're not getting what I'm saying. My 98 was the only car I had. If I blew it up while doing something unnecessary, I was going to lose a lot money. Either by driving a business car, which should be for sale, or by stopping work on cars.
I am getting what you're saying. That was the only car that I had at that time too. My wife had to have her car here at home for the kids and everything else going on with home schooling/errands. We had a house fire and one month after we got back in, a hail storm totaled our other vehicles which we turned over to the insurance. I had my 3rd gen that got beat to hell and was only used to go to work and back. I got rides to work for 3 days while my car was getting built and tuned. I had a lot of things I had to replace and didn't have time to go look for another daily. I wasn't even going to spend the cash on the car, but with the mileage it had and the price, I couldn't pass it up.

So yes, stupid move spending the cash to cam, stall, full exhaust it instead of getting another daily. But it's what I wanted and with the other personal things going on, I wanted something to enjoy. If it broke, I would have fixed it as fast as I could.

My question is this, why buy a sports car (and you've had many), if you are worried about something breaking? Buy a Honda or something known to be reliable and more economical. But don't buy them and say that you didn't mod them because you were worried about something breaking. I mean, you didn't even run them bone stock at the track. I'd hate to drive my car period if I had to worry about that all the time. Stress must be hell on you man.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

So where are all the stock ls1's on here with just an $800 turbo setup running 10's? Why did I not encounter any of these new Z28 cars with that turbo setup back when I had my new 99 GT? Why instead was I looking at $30k Camaro SS's and Ram Air's with the same money vested in my rear view mirror all day every day? Why didn't they just slap on that $800 turbo setup instead of being car lengths behind?
You're dumb as a blind man trying to walk in traffic. Maybe a lot of people don't have the tools or know how to do it. Maybe the people just haven't posted it on here, because he sure hasn't. These motors are pretty reliable at 550rwhp and being boosted, you don't have to spin the motor to the moon. You're not getting the comparison and I cannot help it if you ran into one or not. I haven't ran into a 2v running 11.70's either. But it doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Your point was that you could spend 30k on a ******* 2v (wow) and run 11.70's and you acted like an ls1 would have to spend a lot more since the car is 30k without mods. All I stated was that you can buy used parts and fab an entire turbo setup for less than $800. So you were the one making the $$$ comparison, I just showed you that you can have bare minimum 550rwhp to make it reliable for less than $800. That's the only thing I was getting at, and the fact that 11.70's is nothing compared to the low 10's he ran on his stock ls1. I'd say reliably, it would be a highish 10 sec car living around 550rwhp though.

Now are you with me?
Old 06-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

What is the point everyone is trying to make really?
Hio got his car down the track pretty damn well, like him or not it's what happend.
His buddies car goes good too.
N/a 2v's are weak, there may be a couple that go good.(for what they are) and I do respect that. Not alot out there do for sure.

Deeogie69 why do you have your exhaust running on that side ofor the car? Where is it dumped?
Old 06-01-2016, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Battle of the fan boys!!
Old 06-01-2016, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 408-99-f
What is the point everyone is trying to make really?
Hio got his car down the track pretty damn well, like him or not it's what happend.
His buddies car goes good too.
N/a 2v's are weak, there may be a couple that go good.(for what they are) and I do respect that. Not alot out there do for sure.

Deeogie69 why do you have your exhaust running on that side ofor the car? Where is it dumped?
Right behind my kmember it goes into my electric cutout as soon as it goes under the car behind the firewall, and then all the way back through my borla catback. I wanted it to be stealthy and also quite for my neighbors and the police around here. I also wanted to maintain the stock look as much as possible.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Right behind my kmember it goes into my electric cutout as soon as it goes under the car behind the firewall, and then all the way back through my borla catback. I wanted it to be stealthy and also quite for my neighbors and the police around here. I also wanted to maintain the stock look as much as possible.
Ok, Gotcha. It crosses over back to the passenger side up over the axle? I have mine on the other side stright back to a full exhaust, with a 8" pipe off my gate. Just figured I would ask, like to know what others are doing too
Old 06-01-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

You're dumb as a blind man trying to walk in traffic. Maybe a lot of people don't have the tools or know how to do it. Maybe the people just haven't posted it on here, because he sure hasn't. These motors are pretty reliable at 550rwhp and being boosted, you don't have to spin the motor to the moon. You're not getting the comparison and I cannot help it if you ran into one or not. I haven't ran into a 2v running 11.70's either. But it doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Your point was that you could spend 30k on a ******* 2v (wow) and run 11.70's and you acted like an ls1 would have to spend a lot more since the car is 30k without mods. All I stated was that you can buy used parts and fab an entire turbo setup for less than $800. So you were the one making the $$$ comparison, I just showed you that you can have bare minimum 550rwhp to make it reliable for less than $800. That's the only thing I was getting at, and the fact that 11.70's is nothing compared to the low 10's he ran on his stock ls1. I'd say reliably, it would be a highish 10 sec car living around 550rwhp though.

Now are you with me?
You still don't get it.

I told you back in 99 how much money it took to run 11.70's on a 2v GT BACK THEN how much my friends spent on their $30k Ram Air TA and Camaro SS BACK THEN.

If you wanted to run 11's in a NEW CAR back then, $30K was the norm. You sure as hell weren't going to be doing it with a $800 turbo kit on a new Z28 and expect to have a working auto transmission for very long, much less a rear end that wasn't broken in short time.

No one is questioning how much hp a stock ls1 can hande.
No one is questioning buying a used ls1 and putting money into it to run 11s.

A 99 Z28 was then brought up, so I said OK, if those were $25k new, with $5k in mods they would be running high 11.70s also at similar reliability.

What other mods were on this ls1 running 10's that had a turbo kit?

That being said, if you had to go with either an ls1 or a 2v TODAY, with the same amount of money you can make the ls1 go faster. I wasn't talking about today, or wtf it cost by today's standards to run 11.70s. I was talking about back then, and back then, the 2v's were just as fast as the z28's with the necessary mods to make them run 11's at the same money spent total mods + cars without breaking ****.

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 06-01-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 2v mustang gt vs ls1