Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2v mustang gt vs ls1

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
I am getting what you're saying. That was the only car that I had at that time too. My wife had to have her car here at home for the kids and everything else going on with home schooling/errands. We had a house fire and one month after we got back in, a hail storm totaled our other vehicles which we turned over to the insurance. I had my 3rd gen that got beat to hell and was only used to go to work and back. I got rides to work for 3 days while my car was getting built and tuned. I had a lot of things I had to replace and didn't have time to go look for another daily. I wasn't even going to spend the cash on the car, but with the mileage it had and the price, I couldn't pass it up.

So yes, stupid move spending the cash to cam, stall, full exhaust it instead of getting another daily. But it's what I wanted and with the other personal things going on, I wanted something to enjoy. If it broke, I would have fixed it as fast as I could.

My question is this, why buy a sports car (and you've had many), if you are worried about something breaking? Buy a Honda or something known to be reliable and more economical. But don't buy them and say that you didn't mod them because you were worried about something breaking. I mean, you didn't even run them bone stock at the track. I'd hate to drive my car period if I had to worry about that all the time. Stress must be hell on you man.
Sounds like I am the more responsible person. House fire, totaled cars, nothing else to drive, and you decide to build a toy? Starting to make sense why you can't understand my point.

Provided it's not being launched at 4K RPM, both an Fbody or a mustang makes for a damned reliable daily driver.

As for a honda, those things are unreliable piles of ****. I don't get the following behind them, if you want a reliable 4cyl, a 2.2L OHV cavalier is just about unkillable.

I'm the most stress free guy that you will ever meet. There is unnecessary worrying, and then there is plain stupid. Taking a 175K mile 10 bolt to the track when I can't afford to have it broken is just plain stupid.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
You still don't get it.

I told you back in 99 how much money it took to run 11.70's on a 2v GT BACK THEN how much my friends spent on their $30k Ram Air TA and Camaro SS BACK THEN.

If you wanted to run 11's in a NEW CAR back then, $30K was the norm. You sure as hell weren't going to be doing it with a $800 turbo kit on a new Z28 and expect to have a working auto transmission for very long, much less a rear end that wasn't broken in short time.

No one is questioning how much hp a stock ls1 can hande.
No one is questioning buying a used ls1 and putting money into it to run 11s.

A 99 Z28 was then brought up, so I said OK, if those were $25k new, with $5k in mods they would be running high 11.70s also at similar reliability.

What other mods were on this ls1 running 10's that had a turbo kit?
I like going fast, and that means more to me than having a brand new car. I would probably just buy a car a couple years old at least, if I were going to start taking it all apart.

But take a 2002 z28, add stall, cam, headers, stand alone kit. Fuel pump, And some W/R. What do you think a car like that is capable of?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 205 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 408-99-f
I like going fast, and that means more to me than having a brand new car. I would probably just buy a car a couple years old at least, if I were going to start taking it all apart.

But take a 2002 z28, add stall, cam, headers, stand alone kit. Fuel pump, And some W/R. What do you think a car like that is capable of?
I know what it's capable of. No fan boy here. Check my sig.

I've had plenty of cars fast, both new and used.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, Gotcha. It crosses over back to the passenger side up over the axle? I have mine on the other side stright back to a full exhaust, with a 8" pipe off my gate. Just figured I would ask, like to know what others are doing too
Yeah back to the passenger side.
You still don't get it.

I told you back in 99 how much money it took to run 11.70's on a 2v GT BACK THEN how much my friends spent on their $30k Ram Air TA and Camaro SS BACK THEN.

If you wanted to run 11's in a NEW CAR back then, $30K was the norm. You sure as hell weren't going to be doing it with a $800 turbo kit on a new Z28 and expect to have a working auto transmission for very long, much less a rear end that wasn't broken in short time.

No one is questioning how much hp a stock ls1 can hande.
No one is questioning buying a used ls1 and putting money into it to run 11s.

A 99 Z28 was then brought up, so I said OK, if those were $25k new, with $5k in mods they would be running high 11.70s also at similar reliability.

What other mods were on this ls1 running 10's that had a turbo kit?

That being said, if you had to go with either an ls1 or a 2v TODAY, with the same amount of money you can make the ls1 go faster. I wasn't talking about today, or wtf it cost by today's standards to run 11.70s. I was talking about back then, and back then, the 2v's were just as fast as the z28's with the necessary mods to make them run 11's at the same money spent total mods + cars without breaking ****.
My rear end isn't broken and it's been cammed since oct 2014 and turbo'd since Sept 2015. The auto trans is only good to around 450rwhp, which if you want to get technical, the $800 setup could be turned down for that and still beat your 11.70's with the stock transmission. Not sure what a t56 can handle, but I'm sure more than that?

Why couldn't you put an $800 turbo setup on a brand new z28 back then? Hell, it's just piping and as long as your turbo, wastegate, bov isn't ****, then you just have to worry about the tune. So what would it matter if a guy used truck manifolds and fabbed all his piping vs someone like me that bought a huron speed kit? If you are talking about the looks, it is fine, but idk what that has to do with anything as long as it works.

His other mods were stock 241 heads, an n/a cam that he already had when it was cammed, his trans was already built from when he was n/a, but he built that himself anyways. He got the injextors used and a walb 450 fuel pump is less than $90 brand new. His exhaust comes right out of his pass side bumper. It was an on3 76 turbo used, wg used, bov used. Iirc, the total came up to around $780.

You're right, back then it would have cost him a lot less than $800, so good point. Also, if it takes you $5000 to make your ls1 run high 11's doing the work yourself, you're an idiot. It can ben done for between $2500-$3000 with all new parts (cammed).
Old 06-01-2016, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Back then if you wanted to go fast in an f bomb you ran A4 w Grotty headers,MTI lid,stall and a 150 shot on tires. Total price new was less than 30 grand. Power adder 2 valves were stuck in the 12s.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the point everyone is trying to make really?
Hio got his car down the track pretty damn well, like him or not it's what happend.
His buddies car goes good too.
N/a 2v's are weak, there may be a couple that go good.(for what they are) and I do respect that. Not alot out there do for sure.
I don't get it either. I'm pretty sure Ford fans try to suppress the existence of the N/A 2V except for a few in this thread.

Hio should just give him a trophy and spare us from the pointless banter.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

4v Cobras were twice as good as the 2v GT
Old 06-01-2016, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JC316
Sounds like I am the more responsible person. House fire, totaled cars, nothing else to drive, and you decide to build a toy? Starting to make sense why you can't understand my point.

Provided it's not being launched at 4K RPM, both an Fbody or a mustang makes for a damned reliable daily driver.

As for a honda, those things are unreliable piles of ****. I don't get the following behind them, if you want a reliable 4cyl, a 2.2L OHV cavalier is just about unkillable.

I'm the most stress free guy that you will ever meet. There is unnecessary worrying, and then there is plain stupid. Taking a 175K mile 10 bolt to the track when I can't afford to have it broken is just plain stupid.
Don't hate me because I have money and can go buy things irresponsibly. I never once said I didn't have the money, I have a good job as a locomotive engineer for a class one railroad, and I'm fortunate to have been there for over 20 years now.

I could go out and buy a new car, hell, I still had the insurance money for the two that got totaled. I don't want a new car, all my cars were, and still are paid for. Some people like to live debt free if they can swing it. I was looking at different cars until that came up, I spent my cheap daily driver cash on the mods. But nowhere did I say I didn't have money to go buy a couple cars if I wanted.

Sounds like all you are full of is excuses. I can see why none of those cars ever made it to the track or got modded properly.

The turbo'd ss I'm talking about has 14xk miles on it. It's lives cammed, sprayed, and boosted around 650rwhp now for about 4 years. These rear ends are a crap shoot, some are good, some grenade. Either way, I'm not going to not enjoy a sports car that I bought because I'm worried about a lousy 10 bolt.

Edit: I bought an 11.613 mile car in june 2014, did a cam build and a turbo build in it and now I'm 6.0 swapping it all in less than 2 years. I have a wife, kids, and a house. I don't spend money I don't have, so if that's irresponsible, then so be it.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by big hammer
4v Cobras were twice as good as the 2v GT
Snakes are scary
Old 06-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

If I had a cobra I would drive around with my Cobro shirt
Old 06-01-2016, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

So yes, stupid move spending the cash to cam, stall, full exhaust it instead of getting another daily. But it's what I wanted and with the other personal things going on, I wanted something to enjoy.

Don't hate me because I have money and can go buy things irresponsibly. I never once said I didn't have the money, I have a good job as a locomotive engineer for a class one railroad, and I'm fortunate to have been there for over 20 years now.

I could go out and buy a new car, hell, I still had the insurance money for the two that got totaled. I don't want a new car, all my cars were, and still are paid for. Some people like to live debt free if they can swing it. I was looking at different cars until that came up, I spent my cheap daily driver cash on the mods. But nowhere did I say I didn't have money to go buy a couple cars if I wanted.

Sounds like all you are full of is excuses. I can see why none of those cars ever made it to the track or got modded properly.

You implied that you didn't have the cash, and I full on said that I couldn't afford to be off work. You were trying to make it look like our situations were the same and it couldn't be more different.

I've raced the hell out of my mustangs because I could afford to at the time. I've just owned Fbodies at the worst possible time.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 434 Likes on 341 Posts

Every single one of you just walked right into a pretty clear trap. You have no problem believing Hio when he says that a car so mildly modded went 11's, but you can't believe that a FBO, 4.10 mustang could beat a mildly modded Fbody? Bunch of hypocrites.

Allow me to pull out the Hio excuses.

1. Well, I did it, so clearly it's possible

2. Yall don't have the skillz to make a 4.6L run

3. Bone stock GT's have gone 13.6@101

4. Everyone here is my bitch

5. I can't produce other examples, because I can't find another car with the exact mods.

Oh wait, I can produce examples of FBO 2V's hitting 12's...

http://forums.corral.net/forums/drag...-motor-2v.html

http://forums.mustangworks.com/f17/n...nd-club-14214/

To add some truth to it. This particular mustang had some significant weight reduction and ran harder than any 2V that I've ever seen, including my FBO 98. Plus is had every single bolt on there is, short of EWP and throttle body.

Some of those were cars that I bought for my car lot and never had any intention of keeping.

The LT1 cars were pretty much stock, one had gears. The 98 was lid/tune/lt, and I was never impressed by it, probably one that ran 13.6@104 from the factory.

Never dynoed it. Lined it up against my stock LS2 GTO and it walked all over it, until I ran out of gear. The poor C4 never had a shot.

Even if I did break a trans, I could limp it home. And how many people have broken 10 bolts on stock power levels?
No one walked into a trap. You acted like your 2v was na and it wasn't. Bs was called and yoyr dumbass trapped yourself.

You even suck at being a troll.
Nope, it was on bottle.

My loaded 99GT cost me $21000, and there were 99 loaded SS's that stickered at $30,000

This was back in 99. Tell me about it. Back then 13.9's stock for a new car that cost $21k was a deal. It took every bolt on, bottle, and suspension mod to make that 2v "fast". It hung just fine with 04 Cobra's that had 2.76 pulley, intake, cat back and tune. I miss my 04 SY Cobra.
This is the sticker on my car.
Name:  20130309_183237_zps2240dd12.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  83.5 KB

Notice you could be in a nicely optioned ls car for $22,500 or so.
Originally Posted by Lawhead
Not sure what gets the fan boys more upset

281's or a 5.br0 truck

holy butt hurt lol
You and jc woukd make a good couple
No, everyone knows that the LS1 is better than the NA 2v in every single way. I'm pointing this out.

Hio claims something that no one has ever done, he can't find a single other example, and it's valid simply because he says so.

I claim something that is actually possible, has been done, and I can provide other examples and I "lost credibility".

Is it your daily driver? Were you buried so far into work that you would have work 12 hour days for a solid month before you could even see the light of day? Cause that was my situation when I had those Fbodies.

Where I'm at now, don't have that issue, but again, don't want a roll bar in my car and I don't want to be kicked out after the first pass.
I claimed it because it happened. The funny part is you stupid **** is that the car still didn't make the fast list. And with cars on there trapping over 120 it shouldn't be to ******* hard to figure out that they can trap 116 fairly easily.
What is the point everyone is trying to make really?
Hio got his car down the track pretty damn well, like him or not it's what happend.
His buddies car goes good too.
N/a 2v's are weak, there may be a couple that go good.(for what they are) and I do respect that. Not alot out there do for sure.

Deeogie69 why do you have your exhaust running on that side ofor the car? Where is it dumped?
Thank you sir
Old 06-01-2016, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

You implied that you didn't have the cash, and I full on said that I couldn't afford to be off work. You were trying to make it look like our situations were the same and it couldn't be more different.

I've raced the hell out of my mustangs because I could afford to at the time. I've just owned Fbodies at the worst possible time.
No, everyone knows that the LS1 is better than the NA 2v in every single way. I'm pointing this out.

Hio claims something that no one has ever done, he can't find a single other example, and it's valid simply because he says so.

I claim something that is actually possible, has been done, and I can provide other examples and I "lost credibility".

Is it your daily driver? Were you buried so far into work that you would have work 12 hour days for a solid month before you could even see the light of day? Cause that was my situation when I had those Fbodies.

Where I'm at now, don't have that issue, but again, don't want a roll bar in my car and I don't want to be kicked out after the first pass.
No, I never said I didn't have the cash, I had a certain budget I set for myself and I didn't want to go over it.

Our situations were the same, you asked me if it was my daily driver, which it was and still mostly is. If something would have happened to it, I wasn't going to go buy another vehicle, I would have fixed the one I broke. If I didn't have extra play money sat aside to fix it, then it would have sat there until I did. Because I'm not digging into money that is set for normal life, it's just how it is.

Either way, you asked me if it was my daily, it was, and I had no other means of transportation. That's the same no matter how you slice it, and if you can't afford a 10 bolt from the junk yard (most likely just the ring and pinion will brake $50-$75), then maybe you shouldn't be buying these type of cars.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
No one walked into a trap. You acted like your 2v was na and it wasn't. Bs was called and yoyr dumbass trapped yourself.

You even suck at being a troll.

I claimed it because it happened. The funny part is you stupid **** is that the car still didn't make the fast list. And with cars on there trapping over 120 it shouldn't be to ******* hard to figure out that they can trap 116 fairly easily.

Thank you sir
You're all over the map, maybe drunk. My 2V was 100% NA, go back and read. Had CAI, LT headers, 3" midpipe with SLP LM1 exahust, Spec clutch, UDP, tune, suspension mods, Tri-AX shifter, 4.10 gears, nittos, and weight reduction.

I'm not disputing that they can trap 116, I am disputing that they can trap 116 with UDP's, LS6 intake, clutch, 200lbs reduction, 3.73's and a MAF. It can't be done. If it could, you would have already thrown every example there is at me.

No, I never said I didn't have the cash, I had a certain budget I set for myself and I didn't want to go over it.

Our situations were the same, you asked me if it was my daily driver, which it was and still mostly is. If something would have happened to it, I wasn't going to go buy another vehicle, I would have fixed the one I broke. If I didn't have extra play money sat aside to fix it, then it would have sat there until I did. Because I'm not digging into money that is set for normal life, it's just how it is.

Either way, you asked me if it was my daily, it was, and I had no other means of transportation. That's the same no matter how you slice it, and if you can't afford a 10 bolt from the junk yard (most likely just the ring and pinion will brake $50-$75), then maybe you shouldn't be buying these type of cars.
It's not the cost of parts, it's the time. Nearest track is 25 miles away, had I blown it up, would have had to go home and get my trailer, then get the car. Nearest junkyard with a 10 bolt is 30 miles. Then it's a trip to the parts store to get rear end fluid, cleanup times, etc. Then I would probably find bushings that needed to be replaced and are probably special order.

All in all, it would probably take a day, maybe two depending on what else I found that was wrong. That's just blowing up the 10 bolt. If I blew up the motor or trans, then it's two weeks minimum.

I don't know why my lack of racing bothers you so much. At the time, I couldn't afford to break my car doing something fun, so I didn't. You bummed rides and had the cash to fix your car, so you did.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Lol you literally have no clue what ls1's are capable of.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by big hammer
Lol you literally have no clue what ls1's are capable of.
Enlighten me.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:09 AM
11 Second Club

Idk even what to say... there's something in the air tonight.

You're close to everything and could fix it in a day, two at tops, but didn't want to mod or race your ls cars and think they aren't capable of certain times. You haven't even seen the potential in them because you talk yourself out of having fun with them before even trying. My whole point is that you used the excuse of it being your daily, like none of us have done it. Because that was your point when you asked me if mine was my dd though. I pointed out how unlikely it would be that anything would break, and if it did, it would be an easy, cheap fix. Which you verified by your response

Then, on another topic, there's the logic that an $800 turbo setup on a new ls z28 is just ridiculous, but spending $10,000 on a 2v to run 11.70's is a great idea.

I'm done, this is the most retarded conversation I believe I've ever had. Both of you two win. Go drink some beer on me, I'd gladly buy us some rounds right now.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Idk even what to say... there's something in the air tonight.

You're close to everything and could fix it in a day, two at tops, but didn't want to mod or race your ls cars and think they aren't capable of certain times. You haven't even seen the potential in them because you talk yourself out of having fun with them before even trying. My whole point is that you used the excuse of it being your daily, like none of us have done it. Because that was your point when you asked me if mine was my dd though. I pointed out how unlikely it would be that anything would break, and if it did, it would be an easy, cheap fix. Which you verified by your response

Then, on another topic, there's the logic that an $800 turbo setup on a new ls z28 is just ridiculous, but spending $10,000 on a 2v to run 11.70's is a great idea.

I'm done, this is the most retarded conversation I believe I've ever had. Both of you two win. Go drink some beer on me, I'd gladly buy us some rounds right now.
You talk like someone that has money and a steady paycheck. I get it, two days off work doesn't mean much to you. In my business there is an ebb and flow to the cash, so I might might a killing one week and not so much the next. Two days off work might cost me three grand in sales.

As of right now, I have five cars in need of repair and I'm the only mechanic. Everything from a radiator to an engine swap. Would I like to be building my thunderbird right now? Absolutely. Am I going to take off work to do it? Not a chance.

When I'm all caught up and can afford to fix anything that's broke, I both mod and race. You seem to think my cars are bone stock, they're not. The 98 was lid/tune/lt, I had another 98 that was cammed, and my WS6 is an LQ4.

I know exactly what these cars are capable of.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 434 Likes on 341 Posts

No you don't. You have no clue at all. You think at this point your bolt on 2v which you claim went 11.7 is faster than a cammed ls.

Now show me another example of a bolt on 2v goin 11.7 muh bitch.

How bout even showing some proof of yours doin it.

Last edited by HioSSilver; 06-02-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Ls1>2v. Hell, the old 5.0 in foxbodys are better than n/a 2v's

Quick Reply: 2v mustang gt vs ls1