Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
My point above is with a procharger you're not hanging with those 1k cars and a simple turbo setup has me laying waste to them. The higher you go, turbos make more sense. I loved my procharged C5, but it couldn't hang with todays cars. Want mid 6xx rwhp? procharge it. Want more? Turbo it.
5-10 years ago, that was probably a somewhat accurate statement. Procharger is really stepping it up with their new high-efficiency stuff tho.

Look at what the F1A-94 is doing in the racing classes. It is absolutely crazy what that little blower is capable, and only has a 9" diameter compressor housing!

https://www.procharger.com/blog/summ...charged-racers

Also look at what all the huge HP street corvettes are running.... F1X
Old 07-22-2016, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
Lol. I'd take an Alpha R8 for sure! On my bucket list lol. But for the money I could make my TA way faster. The AWD is sexy though lol.

As for Prochargers saying they can't hang I'd have to disagree with. I have a buddy with a newer vette and an F1R turning bottom 9s on stock long block, trans, rear, suspension etc on 10# of boost. Now he had to do some fab work to make it fit but it can be done.
But that's my point, with fab work and what he spent he could be turbo and faster at that level of modification. It's unlikely than an equal hp centri car that can hang with an equal hp turbo car all else equal. Two 9xx cars, the turbo will probably win.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tvanlant
5-10 years ago, that was probably a somewhat accurate statement. Procharger is really stepping it up with their new high-efficiency stuff tho.

Look at what the F1A-94 is doing in the racing classes. It is absolutely crazy what that little blower is capable, and only has a 9" diameter compressor housing!

https://www.procharger.com/blog/summ...charged-racers

Also look at what all the huge HP street corvettes are running.... F1X
Good lord those guys are serious.

Big HP vettes, I had 1k+ with twins. Didn't have much traction though lol.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this talk about centris and turbos... Where is the love for the roots?

I had the choice to do any of the 3 for my project. I chose a roots style for my application for many reasons. Biggest reason was instant boost. Is a 1000hp turbo car going to make full boost at 2k rpms? Not even close. Will a 1000hp roots blower car make full boost at 2k rpms? Most likely it will. 2 completely different power bands. Yes it is easier to make 1000hp with a turbo(s) I agree on that. But I still choose a roots blower even if it cost me more to do. If I was building a drag car, turbo it would have been. Got to match the power band with what you are going to do with the car.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

But that's my point, with fab work and what he spent he could be turbo and faster at that level of modification. It's unlikely than an equal hp centri car that can hang with an equal hp turbo car all else equal. Two 9xx cars, the turbo will probably win.
I'm turbo all the way, but both cars had better be automatics. If not, I would give the nod to the procharger car. Unless you have a high end 6 speed, and beat on the car like it owes you money.....stick cars are hard to win with.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

This is not the case for Louie, George and Farid with the Farks/ARH 5th Gen. They won the LSX Real Street title and set the record in 2015 beating Jessie Coulter's damn impressive turbo car in the final race of the season. For 2016 they stepped up to NMCA Extreme Street and already have two event wins including the last race in Indy. They ran 7.60s at over 180 MPH at nearly #3400 taking out nitrous and turbo cars on the way.

This was with an F1C94

Old 07-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 70 Bug Mid Engine
All this talk about centris and turbos... Where is the love for the roots?

I had the choice to do any of the 3 for my project. I chose a roots style for my application for many reasons. Biggest reason was instant boost. Is a 1000hp turbo car going to make full boost at 2k rpms? Not even close. Will a 1000hp roots blower car make full boost at 2k rpms? Most likely it will. 2 completely different power bands. Yes it is easier to make 1000hp with a turbo(s) I agree on that. But I still choose a roots blower even if it cost me more to do. If I was building a drag car, turbo it would have been. Got to match the power band with what you are going to do with the car.
It is not a roots, it is a whipple. But, it is running 7 seconds on a 327" LS!

You just have to LOVE how clean these setups are under the hood. Talk about simple beauty.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
This is not the case for Louie, George and Farid with the Farks/ARH 5th Gen. They won the LSX Real Street title and set the record in 2015 beating Jessie Coulter's damn impressive turbo car in the final race of the season. For 2016 they stepped up to NMCA Extreme Street and already have two event wins including the last race in Indy. They ran 7.60s at over 180 MPH at nearly #3400 taking out nitrous and turbo cars on the way.

This was with an F1C94
What they did is pretty cool, and with a crappy centri too haha.

What you're basing your argument on is conjecture. Nobody said centri cars can't ever win, just that it's more difficult to make them do so. There's a reason you only have two examples out of dozens of winners at each of the events running many different power adders. In fact, centri cars didn't win more classes than the nitrous and turbo guys for a reason. That reason is those classes are highly regulated to try and make it equal regardless of power adder.

How are your centri boys doing in the half mile?
Old 07-22-2016, 06:59 PM
Old School Heavy

How are your centri boys doing in the half mile?
Great! By the half mile mark the parachute had deployed, they slowed down safely and were headed down the return road.

I don't follow the half mile guys, but I think Florida Speed & Power has had some strong half milers.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger

This was with an F1C94

That's awesome!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 454 Likes on 322 Posts

So many threads devolve into arguments without intending to, that I just HAD to post in one that is actually supposed to be an argument. All you lazy bastards are wasting garage time dicking around on your computers. Put down the keyboards and install some turbos already.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

[Engineer's blog]

we finally managed to get all the harmonic vibrations damped out of this particular combustion V8 engine. After hundreds of tests, re-fabrication of parts, modifications and extensive acoustic tuning, our team of fifteen engineers put to the task of minimizing the internal harmonic stresses/noises of the engine is complete, thanks to modern computer design and simulations, as well as real world data, we can now produce a full line of semi-stable engines that run without tearing themselves apart due to frequency related wear. As long as the owner does not add any significant, belt driven rotating objects to the engine for which it was not originally intended....

[a few weeks later]
They added a WHAT to the engine??! You want us to do WHAT? A !@)(*@! pepper Grinder for @!#()* sake!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by tvanlant
A centrifugal supercharger and a turbo are not designed the same. I don't see how you can deem one "lackluster" solely based on its inducer diameter. Inducer size is not the only aspect of a compressor that determines power output. Why aren't you comparing exducer sizes, compressor housing diameters, or power output at a given impeller rpm? I'm not saying that you should, just pointing out inducer dia. vs inducer dia. is not an apples to apples comparison.

Aren't we talking about drag racing here? Then who cares about boost 3K rpm sooner in the rpm range? If you've got a 3K rpm drop on the gear change, you're not doing it right.
Agree, just the first spec I glanced at. If I had more time I'm sure I could break down all the specs. Off the top of my head I think an F1 compressor cover is about the same size as a Borg Warner race cover. I'd have to check on exducer sizes if procharger eve publishes them.

I'm not talking about a 3k RPM drop, more like area under the curve wins the race... Procharger car doesn't hit 20psi until 6000RPM but the turbo car leaves on 20PSI I know which one I'd rather have. I've run blower and turbo on my car, I personally prefer turbo. No belt problems, bigger top end, in cabin boost control, less IAT issues, just all around better for me. But I'm not sure what we are talking about since people keep bringing up GTR's roll racing in this thread that most people are talking about drag racing.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:52 AM
Teching In

Superchargers are great for power as are turbos but each have their limits. I mean heck even top fuel cars can't run turbos due to the extreme amount of heat. My Procharger fits a lot better in my engine bay on my Vette and can easily hit 1000whp but my Subie makes a ton more power per liter (200whp per liter) with its turbo and still manages to get 35+ mpg.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadorja
Superchargers are great for power as are turbos but each have their limits. I mean heck even top fuel cars can't run turbos due to the extreme amount of heat. My Procharger fits a lot better in my engine bay on my Vette and can easily hit 1000whp but my Subie makes a ton more power per liter (200whp per liter) with its turbo and still manages to get 35+ mpg.
So it has nothing to do with NHRA rules? BTW, turbos are superchargers.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:11 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nitro would destroy a turbo. I can only imagine the logistics behind trying to get a turbo to live in that environment. Nitro methane not only burns, but it explodes.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Nitro would destroy a turbo. I can only imagine the logistics behind trying to get a turbo to live in that environment. Nitro methane not only burns, but it explodes.
Seemed to work pretty well in this application.

"Try, for a moment, to comprehend a four-cylinder engine capable of achieving 4,000 hp at 55 psi turbo boost on nitromethane."
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...nycar-integra/
Old 07-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Teching In

I was just about to mention the Bob Norwood car. IIRC though, part of why that car worked is that it only used full nitro during WOT. I'm guessing that helped extend the life of the turbo.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ShaunRF
I was just about to mention the Bob Norwood car. IIRC though, part of why that car worked is that it only used full nitro during WOT. I'm guessing that helped extend the life of the turbo.
Could be but not the reason given in the article.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
How would nitro destroy a turbo? It wouldn't see nitro anyway, It would be injected after the turbo.

Explosion = combustion, I think they all do that lol

Last edited by LLLosingit; 07-24-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.