Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 06:12 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Those results are so impressive. I was shocked when I first saw D1 cars make those numbers.

On a side note, I had a nice conversation with Dan Jones at Indy NMCA this year. Interesting guy.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Ran a pair of 9.17s @ 148 or so with the D1SC

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...1sc-today.html

This one is from 2007 when KP was running his '98 T/A. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-22-2016, 06:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Those results are awesome Bob! KP is a bad *** for sure. Both those cars are flying! Looks like I got some work to do with my D1 still. Those little D1 Prochargers could do some work.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:19 AM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
Sayin 150-160 is nothing means it's easy to make them go that fast so I would figure that's a bolt on car then. Low 10s stock is good but for the same price I'll stick with my old built LS cars.

No one said they were slow. Post up the person who said they're slow. I couldn't find it. You were the one that said it's nothing for them to trap 150-160 and the fastest gtr list means nothing to me. Those cars have crazy money and time and work in them to run that. Much respect to them for being on the fastest list. Definitely not easy to get on a fastest list for any car IMO.

Just curious. What does your gtr run?

I'm having fun. Figured rotary can school me a little. Like I said earlier, I didn't know it was easy to make them trap 150-160 in the 1/4. Learn something new every day.
Face -> palm
Old 07-22-2016, 07:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
Those results are awesome Bob! KP is a bad *** for sure. Both those cars are flying! Looks like I got some work to do with my D1 still. Those little D1 Prochargers could do some work.
KP could indeed do a lot with a D-1SC and an F Body. Bob

Old 07-22-2016, 07:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Those results are so impressive. I was shocked when I first saw D1 cars make those numbers.

On a side note, I had a nice conversation with Dan Jones at Indy NMCA this year. Interesting guy.
That is cool! Bob

Old 07-22-2016, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
They are so slow!!

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...mile-rankings/

I run the same data logger these cars do, I know what the healthy cars do on the street, and it is impressive
To be fair most of those cars have built motors, upgraded heads, built trannys, upgraded turbos, custom intercoolers and god knows how much boost. The ones I saw that would be considered ""bolt ons" were running 10s in the 130 mpg range.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:40 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
To be fair most of those cars have built motors, upgraded heads, built trannys, upgraded turbos, custom intercoolers and god knows how much boost. The ones I saw that would be considered ""bolt ons" were running 10s in the 130 mpg range.
Lol no different than the cars here. A shortblock and a trans. 150-160 is cake walk with the LS cars also

The potential of those cars is huge, and they can do anything, not just point and shoot
Old 07-22-2016, 10:52 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Most of the single digit GT-R's I've seen at the track had more $ in mods then my whole car cost. A Jacks trans rebuild alone costs more then my car. I wouldn't say its terribly easy either because I've seen plenty struggle to make it out of the 10's or break past 140MPH. Launching problems, shifting problems, boost cut problems, every platform has its struggle.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:05 AM
8 Second Club

Lool drag racing is everything isn't it? Loool

Those cars work at everything, road course, half mile, street rolls, and drag

Who gives a **** about price, it doesn't change the fact they are an awesome platform
Old 07-22-2016, 11:13 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
My car is 100% a street car, but is not a daily driver. I'm in the northeast, and between shitty winters, and horrible roads, the car gets parked from November to March. I only drive the car to work a few times a month, as well as weekend cruises, so yes, that's not a lot of miles on the car, but most of that cruising is with the kids.

And centris are good for wanting a little more than stock???? Really? Damn near 900rwhp on the street is a little more than just 'a little more than stock'.

I like rowing gears, and like the instant power that is there as soon as I let out the clutch with each gear, something that doesn't happen unless you powershift a turbo car.
What size compressor inducer is required for 900whp? At a glance a D1 with a 85mm inducer rated at 900hp isn't really all that impressive compared to the turbo outputs of that size. An F1 with a 95mm inducer rated at 1050hp is fairly lackluster compared to a turbo of that size. For comparison a smaller 80mm inducer turbo will easily make 900whp and a 94mm will make north of 1400.

But on the same idea boost isn't as RPM dependent on a turbo car. You don't have to rev out a turbo car for full boost like a centrifugal blower. Someone here did a back to back test from Procharger to turbo and full boost was available ~3k RPM's earlier in the RPM range.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:17 AM
8 Second Club

Lool drag racing is everything isn't it? Loool

Those cars work at everything, road course, half mile, street rolls, and drag

Who gives a **** about price, it doesn't change the fact they are an awesome platform
I don't think anyone here is saying they aren't good cars or not a good platform to go fast. I think everyone in here gives a **** about price, if we didn't we'd all have something nicer. Why not just get a lambo and twin turbo it for the price? Same idea right?
Old 07-22-2016, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you special?? 135mph car and thinks he knows about GTRs

A simple bolt on 800-1khp gtr will work THE **** out of most turbo cars on this site on the street

With full comforts
Who's a 135mph car? I'm not unless you're talking about the 1/8th. Well honestly that's too high in the 8th but it's good internet trash talk.

I have no problems with 1k hp cars in my Camaro.

I'll be at No Fly Zone to prove it in October as well. I was also out in Mexico last night and had no problems with the cars out there even in 109* heat.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
And centris are good for wanting a little more than stock???? Really? Damn near 900rwhp on the street is a little more than just 'a little more than stock'.

I like rowing gears, and like the instant power that is there as soon as I let out the clutch with each gear, something that doesn't happen unless you powershift a turbo car.
First you spent the time and effort to build the motor which means a simple turbo setup would have been cake for you. Second, you have to downshift for power with a centri, no RPMs = no boost. I could be in 6th and spool up the turbos on tip in, no need to downshift to feel the power.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
Who's a 135mph car? I'm not unless you're talking about the 1/8th. Well honestly that's too high in the 8th but it's good internet trash talk.

I have no problems with 1k hp cars in my Camaro.

I'll be at No Fly Zone to prove it in October as well. I was also out in Mexico last night and had no problems with the cars out there even in 109* heat.
He was talking about my car. Basically, because my car is slow.....I know nothing about a gtr. Frankly, I've grown to hate those letters of the alphabet. Gtr gets drug into every conversation about cars, usually by people that worship them.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
What size compressor inducer is required for 900whp? At a glance a D1 with a 85mm inducer rated at 900hp isn't really all that impressive compared to the turbo outputs of that size. An F1 with a 95mm inducer rated at 1050hp is fairly lackluster compared to a turbo of that size. For comparison a smaller 80mm inducer turbo will easily make 900whp and a 94mm will make north of 1400.
A centrifugal supercharger and a turbo are not designed the same. I don't see how you can deem one "lackluster" solely based on its inducer diameter. Inducer size is not the only aspect of a compressor that determines power output. Why aren't you comparing exducer sizes, compressor housing diameters, or power output at a given impeller rpm? I'm not saying that you should, just pointing out inducer dia. vs inducer dia. is not an apples to apples comparison.

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
But on the same idea boost isn't as RPM dependent on a turbo car. You don't have to rev out a turbo car for full boost like a centrifugal blower. Someone here did a back to back test from Procharger to turbo and full boost was available ~3k RPM's earlier in the RPM range.
Aren't we talking about drag racing here? Then who cares about boost 3K rpm sooner in the rpm range? If you've got a 3K rpm drop on the gear change, you're not doing it right.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Game ova
He was talking about my car. Basically, because my car is slow.....I know nothing about a gtr. Frankly, I've grown to hate those letters of the alphabet. Gtr gets drug into every conversation about cars, usually by people that worship them.
Yeah true, I mentioned them and whoooosh! the nut swingers flew in.

I don't understand the attraction for the modding crew, maybe AWD? They're the EVO kids all grown up I guess. They're not a great platform for speed as the $$ per MPH is through the roof with them. From a cool factor I'd take a Lambo, C6Z or Viper over a GTR. For speed I bought a catfish because modding even my old C5 or C6 was a PITA compared to it.

My point above is with a procharger you're not hanging with those 1k cars and a simple turbo setup has me laying waste to them. The higher you go, turbos make more sense. I loved my procharged C5, but it couldn't hang with todays cars. Want mid 6xx rwhp? procharge it. Want more? Turbo it.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:38 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

The GTR is probably the least sexy fast car on the planet. When I see one next to a ZR1 or a Z06, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would buy a GTR.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Drewstein
Yeah true, I mentioned them and whoooosh! the nut swingers flew in.

I don't understand the attraction for the modding crew, maybe AWD? They're the EVO kids all grown up I guess. They're not a great platform for speed as the $$ per MPH is through the roof with them. From a cool factor I'd take a Lambo, C6Z or Viper over a GTR. For speed I bought a catfish because modding even my old C5 or C6 was a PITA compared to it.

My point above is with a procharger you're not hanging with those 1k cars and a simple turbo setup has me laying waste to them. The higher you go, turbos make more sense. I loved my procharged C5, but it couldn't hang with todays cars. Want mid 6xx rwhp? procharge it. Want more? Turbo it.
Lol. I'd take an Alpha R8 for sure! On my bucket list lol. But for the money I could make my TA way faster. The AWD is sexy though lol.

As for Prochargers saying they can't hang I'd have to disagree with. I have a buddy with a newer vette and an F1R turning bottom 9s on stock long block, trans, rear, suspension etc on 10# of boost. Now he had to do some fab work to make it fit but it can be done.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:54 PM
9 Second Club

Some pics of the car

9.21 @ 152
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.-photo522.jpg   Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.-photo177.jpg   Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.-photo47.jpg   Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.-photo760.jpg  

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Turbo.... OFFICIAL ARGUMENT THREAD.