Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Roots blower on 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Roots blower on 5.3

Hi guys, I got done building another fully forged 5.3 and I can go 2 ways...80mil turbo or a blower. I don't want a little supercharger, i want this thing to stick up like a promod. Looking for close to 1000hp, as it's going in a c5, will run e85, i cant find a blower kit that is bolt on. Thinking about a 8-71 blower. Any suggestions? Please don't tell me to go turbo or its too big..I want a big *** blower through the hood and im not going bbc. 427 Lsx in the future though

Thanks.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Do some google'ing, there are parts available to mate an 8-71 to an LS motor.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

4.0 or 4.5 Whipple
Old 09-13-2016, 05:33 PM
7 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

that insane blower is awesome total overkill for a 5.3 but who cares its awesome
Old 09-13-2016, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found a kit for $2700 for everything except blower, twin 4500tb, crank pinning kit, and ati damper. Starting to get a little excited. Does anyone know where I can get that throttle body hat? That's the most important part lol
Old 09-14-2016, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

That's not a throttle body hat, that is the throttle body!

Andrew
Old 09-15-2016, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go turbo. I say this because I just talked myself out of this very same idea. Stupid tall, loud as hell, neck breaker and stupid expensive. Believe me at $2700 you are barely scratching the surface. So from the long block up you might as well quadruple that amount. Brackets, Blower , injection hat, injection system and all the other little **** to go with it. Do a clean twin turbo setup with the turbos just peeking thru the hood for the shock value and more than likely make more power over the blower.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dodgesruck
Go turbo. I say this because I just talked myself out of this very same idea. Stupid tall, loud as hell, neck breaker and stupid expensive. Believe me at $2700 you are barely scratching the surface. So from the long block up you might as well quadruple that amount. Brackets, Blower , injection hat, injection system and all the other little **** to go with it. Do a clean twin turbo setup with the turbos just peeking thru the hood for the shock value and more than likely make more power over the blower.
That
Yea that's definatly cleaner but I love the sound of blowers, and yea theres tons of small things but if this whole blower assembly let's say costs around 8k, a really nice, clean custom turbo assembly is not too far behind it. I like turbos but man, theres nothing like seeing a big *** blower sticking out of the hood, and the torque, sweet neck snapping torque. The only thing that would suck is visibility, trying to look out right, but the blower will make up for it.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not go for the gear drive procharger setup???
Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss454327
Why not go for the gear drive procharger setup???
Eh, its been done. There alright but not for me, I want something very unique
Old 09-15-2016, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

I saw a Vette with the hood cut out for twin turbos sticking up through it. How about doing that idea with a huge single that would be reminiscent of a Batmobile style turbine engine intake? The downpipe could even look like a turbine engine exhaust. Since you're fully forged, hide the smaller turbo in this theoretical compound boost setup under the hood. You could run a massive topside turbo and still actually be able to spool it. If you want intimidating looks, check. If you want unique, check. If you want budget, HOLY SHITBALLS, no.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Long story short, Here is a 408 stroker with 10-71 blower. Was hurt on the dyno after this video, Original owner decided to got BBC so I bought everything minus the crankshaft. I'm still waiting to get it back together.

Here is his build thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...wer-build.html
Old 09-16-2016, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moekluse
Eh, its been done. There alright but not for me, I want something very unique

ok so crazy it is...what about a Holley hi-rise with a roots style blower? You could buy the solid lid and have a shop cut the top out and weld on a blower mount face.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss454327
ok so crazy it is...what about a Holley hi-rise with a roots style blower? You could buy the solid lid and have a shop cut the top out and weld on a blower mount face.
I guess that can work, but the complete lit has all the parts I need to mount it and it might beven a bit of a pain to line up the blower with the intake and have the belt line up perfectly, but the above post about big turbo sticking out might be a good idea...
Old 09-16-2016, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gametech
I saw a Vette with the hood cut out for twin turbos sticking up through it. How about doing that idea with a huge single that would be reminiscent of a Batmobile style turbine engine intake? The downpipe could even look like a turbine engine exhaust. Since you're fully forged, hide the smaller turbo in this theoretical compound boost setup under the hood. You could run a massive topside turbo and still actually be able to spool it. If you want intimidating looks, check. If you want unique, check. If you want budget, HOLY SHITBALLS, no.
So death vette style? I would probably use a little turbo to spool up an 88, because I am going lsx in the future, but for the time being, would an 88mil be way too much for a 5.3? It's got 317 heads and wiseco rates there pistons at 8.3:1 cr with 317s. It would be the laggiest 5.3 ever lol
Old 09-16-2016, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is probably the most retarded dreamer thread I've seen recently. But- I'll play ball.

hi-helix blowers are wayy to small for your wants. may I suggest a screw blower?

check out psi superchargers. that's what you need.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Teching In

To the op, now that I look back it looks like I totally shot your idea down so let me say this when I was looking to do this I kept going back to the same 4 companies. RPS Superchargers, The Blower Shop, Joe Blo Speed Shop and Goodvibesracing. The first 3 offer manifolds, drive kits and blowers while joe blo offers all kinds of other **** for blown ls engines(unfortunately located Australia) and goodvibes has all the big and ugly injector hat parts. I just unfortunately could not bring myself to go thru with it for a number of reasons. 1. Price - way more expensive than my twin setup( that's with me building the manifold) 2. Durability - I live in deep east texas and we all know that roots blowers build a lot of heat (no e85) 3. Ease of operation - There's one remotely close to me that could even begin to help with a injected blown ls motor. 4. $$$ - when I stopped counting it was going to be thousands with an s more than my twin setup. If you do it please post because I would love to see it. By the way when me and my buddy with his 2016 mustang gt350 go to car shows he gets pissed cause everyone is looking at my twin setup in my c10.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by cajundragger

hi-helix blowers are wayy to small for your wants.
Care to explain a little more on this? If he could make it fit he could run a 14-71 or better yet an 18-71 lol How are Hi-helix blowers to small? Are you talking physical size?
Old 09-16-2016, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgesruck
To the op, now that I look back it looks like I totally shot your idea down so let me say this when I was looking to do this I kept going back to the same 4 companies. RPS Superchargers, The Blower Shop, Joe Blo Speed Shop and Goodvibesracing. The first 3 offer manifolds, drive kits and blowers while joe blo offers all kinds of other **** for blown ls engines(unfortunately located Australia) and goodvibes has all the big and ugly injector hat parts. I just unfortunately could not bring myself to go thru with it for a number of reasons. 1. Price - way more expensive than my twin setup( that's with me building the manifold) 2. Durability - I live in deep east texas and we all know that roots blowers build a lot of heat (no e85) 3. Ease of operation - There's one remotely close to me that could even begin to help with a injected blown ls motor. 4. $$$ - when I stopped counting it was going to be thousands with an s more than my twin setup. If you do it please post because I would love to see it. By the way when me and my buddy with his 2016 mustang gt350 go to car shows he gets pissed cause everyone is looking at my twin setup in my c10.
He's an ******* for going to a car show in a new car.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Care to explain a little more on this? If he could make it fit he could run a 14-71 or better yet an 18-71 lol How are Hi-helix blowers to small? Are you talking physical size?
He was being sarcastic.

Quick Reply: Roots blower on 5.3