Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will borlamouth help reduce drone and rasp on a 6spd car with LTs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will borlamouth help reduce drone and rasp on a 6spd car with LTs?

I purchased this car a couple of months ago. It has Speed Engineering LTs, ORY and LM2 on it. I don't mind it so much...until I put it in 6th gear on the highway. The drone has gotten to be too much for me. I feel like the car shakes a little more too, which I noticed in my old '99 SS when I put the LM2 system on with stock manifolds. I really don't want to have to switch out the complete cat-back, so I am looking at swapping the resonator/bullet out for a Borla XR1. I hear they are better for drone and rasp, but how much better? Is it really worth it? I'd like to get rid of as much drone as possible and the same with getting rid of rasp, although it is not necessary. I know this has been talked about a bunch, as I have read countless threads, and watched a lot of videos...but I still haven't gotten a solid, convincing answer. Will a Borla XR1 reduce the drone in 6th gear? Or is there another option that is better than the Borla?
Old 12-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Launching!

I have no first hand experience but it should help. Also switching the merge on y pipe to a flowmaster merge will do the most to combat the rasp and free up a few ponies also.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I started looking into doing a magnamouth also. I think I prefer the magnamouth sound over the borla. The thing that kills me is that this has been talked about a lot, but I cannot find a satisfying answer. I'm being too skeptical.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyWhiteSS
Thanks, I started looking into doing a magnamouth also. I think I prefer the magnamouth sound over the borla. The thing that kills me is that this has been talked about a lot, but I cannot find a satisfying answer. I'm being too skeptical.
Unfortunately every car seems to be a little different, check out youtube videos for various setups to see what you think sounds best.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Unfortunately every car seems to be a little different, check out youtube videos for various setups to see what you think sounds best.
Yeah, you're right. I have watched all of YouTube, haha. I keep going back to the same clips. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:55 AM
Launching!

I had the LM1 set up with LTs and ORY the drone/rasp was so annoying while cruising I hated driving the car. I swapped the LM1 to an XR1 and the drone is pretty much all gone and the car sounds a lot better. For me it was definitely worth it!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I had your catback I would not consider anything other than the Powerflo conversion kit from SLP that attaches to your current catback.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...FdYvgQodL5QLLA

Old 12-08-2016, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28Joe
I had the LM1 set up with LTs and ORY the drone/rasp was so annoying while cruising I hated driving the car. I swapped the LM1 to an XR1 and the drone is pretty much all gone and the car sounds a lot better. For me it was definitely worth it!
The addition of your XR1 muffler is what killed the drone and rasp. It's an ACTUAL muffler. A LM1/2 or a Magnaflow 4" round is not much of a "muffler".

I would look into a Borla Xr1 style muffler. Flow great, are light and stainless.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyWhiteSS
I purchased this car a couple of months ago. It has Speed Engineering LTs, ORY and LM2 on it. I don't mind it so much...until I put it in 6th gear on the highway. The drone has gotten to be too much for me. I feel like the car shakes a little more too, which I noticed in my old '99 SS when I put the LM2 system on with stock manifolds. I really don't want to have to switch out the complete cat-back, so I am looking at swapping the resonator/bullet out for a Borla XR1. I hear they are better for drone and rasp, but how much better? Is it really worth it? I'd like to get rid of as much drone as possible and the same with getting rid of rasp, although it is not necessary. I know this has been talked about a bunch, as I have read countless threads, and watched a lot of videos...but I still haven't gotten a solid, convincing answer. Will a Borla XR1 reduce the drone in 6th gear? Or is there another option that is better than the Borla?
I had the same set up as you on my 02 SS and the same problem with drone. I replaced the LM with the Borla XR1 muffler. Still sounds good, but no more drone!
Old 12-08-2016, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Borla will likely drone less than the magnaflow. If it was still a factory manifolds/cats car Id lean towards the Magnaflow. But since you have headers and ory, Id either go with the XR-1 or the SLP powerflow kit.

Quick Reply: Will borlamouth help reduce drone and rasp on a 6spd car with LTs?