LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LS1 Lid Without Cutting Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Default LS1 Lid Without Cutting Hood?

Ok, I would like to use a LS1 air lid, BUT I refuse to cut the hood.
I'll copy this How To LS1 Air Lid Install the most.
http://joelrdevriendt.com/?p=46

Would the lid fit if I change the following:
Can I lower the radiator support 2 inches? The engine bay is getting ready for paint anyway, but this will add a large cost increase in my opinion to have this done.

OR I could I buy this Griffin Radiator which is 2 inches shorter in height.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-1-25241-X/
Wouldn't this lower the radiator 2 inches without having the more difficult task of cutting and welding the radiator support back together? This would mimic lowering the radiator support right?

Lowering the radiator support or buying the Griffin Radiator would men that I wouldn't have to pull back the radiator closer to the engine, right?

Then I would cut the top of the radiator support as normal in the directions listed.

To save cash right now I'll trim the stock LS1 radiator support to fit.
Then I'll probably buy, bent, trim, and mold a BMR radiator support then have it powder-coated to my taste.

Last, I've heard you can also heat the top of the lid with a blow drier and flatten it a little.

With these adjustments do you all think I could fit the LS1 lid and not cut into my aftermarket SS Hood?

Also, are LS1 radiator supports different from LT1 radiator supports? I couldn't find that information in a search.
How many inches does a LS1 hood add in height compared to a LT1 hood? I would like to know so that I know how far I have to lower the radiator.

Also, I can't figure out why the LS1 lid doesn't fit in easier in our LT1 cars. The car bodies are basically the same. I don't know if the radiator support is different or the hood adds that much more clearance.

Thank you for opinions!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, I will keep my A/C. I live in Texas!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 383z
Also, I can't figure out why the LS1 lid doesn't fit in easier in our LT1 cars. The car bodies are basically the same. I don't know if the radiator support is different or the hood adds that much more clearance.
Look at the top of your radiator support where the lid will sit. On 93-97 cars, it has a hump on it; on 98-02 cars, it's flat. The later hood also has a built-in recess for the lid.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a lot of work for just a Lid. You can just use the top half then create some type of bottom thing like you explained. That way you don't have to hack away at your car. Then you avoid moving the radiator and all that front end mess.

If you had a TA it would be as simple as buying a ws6 style hood to avoid all that extra work. Your on the right track. I would try modifying the lid before cutting and moving stuff on the car. That doesn't seem worth it to me.

Camaro guys have it harder when it comes to the lid. What about buying a cowl hood?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

In for your solution, I'm in the same boat with my aftermarket SS hood hitting my lid.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It's possible, but tricky. And in the end is mostly sandwiched between the hood and top of the radiator/condenser.

I went from this (kPa dropped too much for my liking)

To this (it "fit" but I did not like how it fit...execution could have been better on my part making a radiator cover etc.)
Griffin radiator with custom fan shroud for OEM fans.

To a proper 4" intake indigent filter in the fender. I was done not dicking with cutting this or that and it fits like it should.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I'm one of the few that has done it with no cutting, but mine is a very special case (hint, it's not an LT1 chassis).

Old 03-30-2017, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

^but don't you have a taller hood than a standard LT1 z28 hood...that makes all the difference.

If I had a cowl hood then it would have been much easier. But I wanted to to keep the stock hood.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

OEM WS6 hood, no way the steel hood would clear. I mentioned the limits of fitting a lid in an LT1 car in my previous post.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yaaaa, Spartan7 you cheated.

Quick Reply: LS1 Lid Without Cutting Hood?