Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Water pump idea?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Water pump idea?

A coworker and I were chit chatting about the latest "Street Outlaws" and although they have a lot of money put into their cars, the coversation of cooling systems arose. Most alcohol cars and draggers dont necessarily have full blown street cooling systems, which got me thinking. What if i was able to install the ICT billet plates that have -12 fittings on them and hooked them up to a cool down tank in between runs? In my mind it works, however i dont tow the car to the line or tow it back after the run, so the next big question is if the -12 ends are capped off for the evolution of one entire pass, will i be ok? My hopes are that im within a tolerated temp range until im able to get back to my area, disconnect caps and attack 2 feed lines to bottom ports (which will be fed from a 30 gal+ tank) and two return lines to top ports.

Am i going to run into problems with trapped air?
If i do the above set up would i be deleting the steam ports? Or venting them elsewhere?
Old 05-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or just run on methanol and forget it. I filled the block and dry decked the heads. I will run an expansion tank and just let water sit in the heads to dissipate heat evenly throughout the casting.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by elkydragger
Or just run on methanol and forget it. I filled the block and dry decked the heads. I will run an expansion tank and just let water sit in the heads to dissipate heat evenly throughout the casting.
I know absolutely nothing about 100% meth
Old 05-11-2017, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

So aside from going 100% meth. Any other input?
Old 05-12-2017, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Honestly im a little surpised that no one cares to comment, here i thought i was actually on to something good.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry but it is really not possible to run on gas without a cooling system. You will overheat on a 75degree night in the burnout box. Are you just trying to avoid running a radiator? Because you could use those same adaptors with a remote pump(and radiator) and keep it plenty cool
Old 05-12-2017, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by elkydragger
Sorry but it is really not possible to run on gas without a cooling system. You will overheat on a 75degree night in the burnout box. Are you just trying to avoid running a radiator? Because you could use those same adaptors with a remote pump(and radiator) and keep it plenty cool
no need to apologize, im here to learn. Current plan is to run E85 but the more i research the more im leaning toward E70. I am trying to avoid the radiator and pumping off the front end. But electric motor mounted pumps are $$. Are you able to run generic 12v water pumps when remote?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by OxTheGreat
the next big question is if the -12 ends are capped off for the evolution of one entire pass, will i be ok? My hopes are that im within a tolerated temp range until im able to get back to my area, disconnect caps and attack 2 feed lines to bottom ports (which will be fed from a 30 gal+ tank) and two return lines to top ports.
Here is my take on it, My truck takes just a 2-3 minutes for the temp to go from 80* to 160*+ with a thermostat, Without a thermostat it takes 5 minutes at the most to come up to temp. So in simple terms with no flow (thermostat closed) it would build to much heat just pulling up to the line and doing your burnout and by the time you did a full pass I'm guessing you would be in the danger zone. That's besides the fact that you would increase the chance of suffering detonation on the pass because of hotspots from lack of flow. Then you still have to get back to the pits. I've also never been a fan of pumping cold water into an already hot engine, Maybe it's an old wives tail or doesn't apply to newer engines but the story is cold water will cause uneven contraction possibly causing warping and cracking of the heads/block.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Might take a look at how a sprint-car is plumbed for cooling, you can drop some weigh and use a physically fairly small radiator and dirt track parts come cheap for the most part.. And keep your head temps under control. Its all -10 AN for return and a big pipe for supply, the radiators have 5 to 8 fittings on them.

Last edited by pdxmotorhead; 05-18-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sprint cars run on alcohol.

You will overheat fast with gas and no water. You will have to use Alcohol. It can and will keep the temps down during the run. But you will still might need to cool the block down between runs if you can. Not all need to be cooled, but its a good idea to if you have the will to make a system and do it.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:28 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

E85 won't work has to be m1 or the like. anything with gas needs at least a little radiator. You can shut the pump off during a run, but it will need to circulate after
Old 05-18-2017, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Yea the straight methanol has advantages..

The two sprints I play with use 24x22x4 radiators, the water pump inlet is 2.5 inch hose for the bottom of the radiator, but there are 4 hoses from the heads to the top of the radiator, each a -10, so I think its flowing similar volume to a standard setup but allows for each 1/4 of the motor its own return. The engine coolant hits about 160 on a cool night and if we work it hard gets to 180 on a night with 75+ degree air temps.. We had to add a heating system to the oil tank and block heaters so it doesn't chill out when we push it off..

Quick Reply: No Water pump idea?