Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
Thinking of going with these duals out the back. Don't really want to read thru 35pags.

My question is how is this exhaust on lowered cars??

Picture of ground clearance on lowered cars??
This kit was built on a stock height car. Some users were okay after adjustments but still is a compromise if your particular area is terrible like my roads are.

Originally Posted by spent21
the 35 pages covers exactly what you're looking for...

If you want to be spoon-fed, I suggest a Facebook page.
Or you can actually respond to help instead of taking up space for rest of us to read through. Damn kids.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
This kit was built on a stock height car. Some users were okay after adjustments but still is a compromise if your particular area is terrible like my roads are.

Or you can actually respond to help instead of taking up space for rest of us to read through. Damn kids.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

And don't worry about the rest of those guys. They the type to take selfies lol
Old 10-31-2017, 05:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

This thread blows my mind. I have to make a few comments.

First off, thank you speed engineering from making killer products at super low prices so more of us people with kids etc and average bank accounts can still mod and put food on the table.

EVERY aftermarket exhaust I've ever dealt with fit like **** if there wasn't a lot of effort put into it. My wife's SN95 mustang had about $1400 worth of x pipe and cat back on it (BBK catted x pipe and magnaflow stainless catback) and it hung real low and rattled and fit like **** because the installer wasn't very bright. I spent well over an hour on a lift rotating pipes for the best clearance and then putting a pole jack under the pipe and then tightening the clamps. After I was done, it wasn't perfect in my book but I could have spent more and got the same result. If it had cost less I would expect worse. This exhaust speed engineering is offering is no different in that regard and for $500 it looks and fits amazing (WAY better than I would expect for the price) as shown by people that went through the effort of taking their time to get it right. There could be an issue here and there, but that's the go fast game, especially with the first run of a product.

As stated earlier, every mod requires mods. If you aren't up for it you're in the wrong game. The most expensive parts require modification to fit in most cases as well. I've installed FAST products, Trick Flow, Nitrous outlet etc etc it all required some time tweaking.

EVERY LOWERED F BODY WITH AFTERMARKET EXHAUST HAS CLEARANCE ISSUES. If it doesn't it's because someone spent A LOT of time working with it to get it as high as possible. Even then, it usually scrapes. It's part of owning a lowered F body. I had lane's true duals on a lowered F body (some of the best ever made for these cars) and I scraped all over the place, I didn't care because I knew that's just the way it was and if I wanted it to stop I needed to spend more time under the car and raise it back up.

Finally. Again, thank you speed engineering, I'll be ordering some of your NBS headers as soon as things calm down financially and I can go back to modding my toys again.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 11-01-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,109 Likes on 2,424 Posts

00pooterSS, you have just defined hotrodding! ESPECIALLY with exhaust systems! It is the very NATURE to have to twist, turn, jack, clamp, unclamp, readjust, reclamp, etc. AND repeat the above until it's right, maybe a half-dozen times or more until it is right. Patience is a rare virtue! lol
Old 10-31-2017, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 405 Posts

^^^^ Amen. Well said 00pooterSS.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:37 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you 00pooterSS. Your comments are much appreciated. With that being said I wanted to give you guys a heads up as well. We are currently in the middle of a revision to the center section of our exhaust. With so many lowered guys out there we wanted to make sure our exhaust is as high as possible. The revision is not much, but it should allow for approx another 1/2" maybe a little more of clearance in the middle. We will probably have that revision in production within the next 6 months.

Thanks
Sean
Old 11-01-2017, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Thank you 00pooterSS. Your comments are much appreciated. With that being said I wanted to give you guys a heads up as well. We are currently in the middle of a revision to the center section of our exhaust. With so many lowered guys out there we wanted to make sure our exhaust is as high as possible. The revision is not much, but it should allow for approx another 1/2" maybe a little more of clearance in the middle. We will probably have that revision in production within the next 6 months.

Thanks
Sean
No worries Sean. The Y merge goes above my cross member so the bottom of my cross member for my MWC tunnel mount torque arm is the lowest point on the car. If you made the merge sit higher, it would probably give me clearance issues.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know when the new revision comes out. I'm in line for one.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
Thinking of going with these duals out the back. Don't really want to read thru 35pags.

My question is how is this exhaust on lowered cars??

Picture of ground clearance on lowered cars??
See my install here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19761427

Take the measurement as seen in the 2nd pic and subtract 30 inches from it and that's going to be how much ground clearance you get. The lowest part of the speed engineering exhaust is the area just after the driver side header.
My measurements are 27 inches in the front and rear. What are yours?

Old 11-03-2017, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
See my install here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19761427

Take the measurement as seen in the 2nd pic and subtract 30 inches from it and that's going to be how much ground clearance you get. The lowest part of the speed engineering exhaust is the area just after the driver side header.
My measurements are 27 inches in the front and rear. What are yours?

I know a Harbor Freight tape measure when I see one, lol.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I know a Harbor Freight tape measure when I see one, lol.
Yep, and it was free too! Can you measure your ride height? Are you lowered?
Old 11-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks
Sean
Will that center section be availiable by itsef for those of us that would like to improve ground clearance ?
Old 11-03-2017, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RGSS
Will that center section be availiable by itsef for those of us that would like to improve ground clearance ?
The height of the center section is only as good as the height of the pipes that go from the longtubes to it. I'm assuming you are talking about the whole Y pipe and not just the Y merge "section"? My car is at 27 inches off the ground (which some have reported as being stock ride height) and the lowest part of the Speed engineering exhaust isn't the Y merge, its the pipe that goes from the driverside header to the Y merge seen here circled in red. I get 3" of ground clearance, which is the same amount of clearance that the bottom of the MWC crossmember is giving me.

What would be good for Speed Engineering to develop is a Y pipe with dual cutouts on it as no one has one available atm for purchase. Something that has good clearance would be like the design of the pacesetter Y with cutouts in the locations as seen in the pics 1 and 2 below. It's not the best Y merge, but that doesn't matter because you will be running it with the cutouts open at the track.

Pic 1

Pic 2

My attempt at putting dual cutouts into the speed engineering Y pipe failed resulting in very bad ground clearance, so I put the cutout in the I pipe.

Attempt at dual cutouts in the speed engineering Y

Current setup - single cutout in the I pipe, Speed Engineering Y with no cutouts in it

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 11-03-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The height of the center section is only as good as the height of the pipes that go from the longtubes to it. I'm assuming you are talking about the whole Y pipe and not just the Y merge "section"? My car is at 27 inches off the ground (which some have reported as being stock ride height) and the lowest part of the Speed engineering exhaust isn't the Y merge, its the pipe that goes from the driverside header to the Y merge seen here circled in red. I get 3" of ground clearance, which is the same amount of clearance that the bottom of the MWC crossmember is giving me.
I understood this thread is about the true dual setup, not the Speed engineering headers and Y pipe. I have no ground clearance problems between headers and X pipe.

I meant the X pipe itsef, wich bends down after joining both pipes, as seen on the following picture:
Attached Thumbnails Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 11-03-2017, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RGSS
I understood this thread is about the true dual setup, not the Speed engineering headers and Y pipe. I have no ground clearance problems between headers and X pipe.

I meant the X pipe itsef, wich bends down after joining both pipes, as seen on the following picture:
Ah, I was wondering what you meant by center section. Looking at this image it looks as if the pipe from the driverside header to the X is bent inward giving more clearance in the front than the Y setup. What is your ride height? Looks like you are getting very good clearance in the front. From the top of the fender to the ground is it 28 inches or more?

Old 11-06-2017, 09:44 AM
Sponsor

Yes, our revision is for the true dual rear exit kit center section, not our Y-Pipe. We are trying to add as much clearance as we can for the lowered cars out there. I dont think we have ever had a revision on our y-pipe. All of our kits come pre-boxed, and will not be offered as individual sections unfortunately.

Thanks
Sean
Old 11-06-2017, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, our revision is for the true dual rear exit kit center section, not our Y-Pipe. We are trying to add as much clearance as we can for the lowered cars out there. I dont think we have ever had a revision on our y-pipe. All of our kits come pre-boxed, and will not be offered as individual sections unfortunately.

Thanks
Sean
Any plans for getting more ground clearance with the Y pipe?
Old 11-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Sponsor

Our y-pipe is actually higher than most aftermarket y-pipes, and will actually hit the bottom of the car if pushed all the way up. We have no plans on revising our y-pipes at this time.

Thanks
Sean
Old 11-06-2017, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Our y-pipe is actually higher than most aftermarket y-pipes, and will actually hit the bottom of the car if pushed all the way up. We have no plans on revising our y-pipes at this time.

Thanks
Sean
I've got mine up as high as it will go while still clearing the cross member and I'm getting 3" clearance. At stock right height, I'd get around 4" clearance. It's fine for me, but for those who are more than an inch lower than stock they may get even less ground clearance than what I got.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Our true dual exhaust kits are finally in for the 1998-2002 F-Body's. Here are a few pics and links.

Thanks guys..
Sean

LS1 Camaro Firebird True Dual Exhaust (Axle Dump)

LS1 Camaro Firebird True Dual Exhaust (Rear Exit)

I have a MWC watts link, I should be good as far as clearance right?

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!