Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Help with tranny scensor leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with tranny scensor leak?

I noticed that sometime I see steam coming from the driver side of my car when I sitting at a red light. So I crawled underneath and I noticed the sensor and plug on the back of my tranny by the driveshaft is dripping oil onto my muffler by the resonator. So that must be where i see smoke sometimes. Does anyone know what that thing is or what's going on here?
Old 07-23-2017, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like your reverse light noid if I remember right the sensor is in the drain plug on the other side
Old 07-23-2017, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
That looks like your reverse light noid if I remember right the sensor is in the drain plug on the other side
Thanks. So what do i need to do?
Old 07-23-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The reverse lockout solenoid has an o-ring that prevents oil from leaking out around the edges. I recently replaced the whole unit because I broke off the electrical connector. They're a little expensive but replacing them is easy if you're willing to drop the driveshaft and exhaust and let the back of the transmission hang down.

http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/trem...e3-2-and-e3-3/
Old 07-23-2017, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
The reverse lockout solenoid has an o-ring that prevents oil from leaking out around the edges. I recently replaced the whole unit because I broke off the electrical connector. They're a little expensive but replacing them is easy if you're willing to drop the driveshaft and exhaust and let the back of the transmission hang down.

http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/trem...e3-2-and-e3-3/
Thanks. But damn, i cant just change that peice from the bottom that im seeing?
Or is my problem deeper?
Would it hurt if i just let it go for awhile?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

The piece in the bottom is about $50. But it's almost certainly not leaking. There's almost no way for oil to get through from the top 90 degree piece and come out below. A better bet might be to find an O-ring for the top piece. Sadly I threw away my old one otherwise I'd be of more help.

Worst case, I think you'll need to refill the oil at some point. I'm not sure how fast it's going away so it's impossible to know when you'll encounter a problem. Before I run off, have you verified that the oil is not coming out of the tail shaft seal near the giubo?
Old 07-24-2017, 06:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think it is leaking from the guibo, but i will double check it today
Old 11-13-2017, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally got a chance to change my leaking reverse lockout solenoid and also changed out the trans fluid.
Got the oem sensor brand new off ebay for 68 shipped.
Fluid looked a little burnt up and it smells like gear oil or hydrolic fluid, so no idea what was in there. But i guess thats how atf smells.
The sensor was a bitch, had to loosein the trans mount and lower the rear of the trans, and it was still a tight fit.
Luckily i didnt have to drop the exhaust and driveshaft like others said to do when doing that sensor, and good luck getting a socket in there or even a gearwrench, none of those would fit that bolt where it sat, no room, so had to do it the old fashion and slow way with the old closed end box wrench.

New oem i got on ebay for 68 bucks

Had to lower the trans mount

New sensor installed

New fluids with the harbor freight pump, pump worked great, i just wish the hoses were straight instead of curled up.

Looks pretty dirty and burnt to me, shifted fine though, it also has a smell of like gear oil or hydrolic fluid, so idk what was in there

Heres the old sensor that leaked out of the plug on the bottom

Last edited by Mike ctsV; 11-13-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I also pumped about a half quart of new fluid in it before i put the sensor plug back in, that way it flushed out the old dirty stuff that didnt drain out
Old 11-13-2017, 05:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't worry about overfilling the transmission. The vent tube along the top of the T-56 will discharge any excess. When you take it for a drive, I'd be interested in any feedback you have on the Redline mixture. It's been so long since I made the switch.

I think everyone uses those fluid transfer pumps at one point or another. They also sell them on Amazon. When I did my first transmission oil change, it was getting dark and I didn't notice that the hose backed out during a pump. Apparently it curled around to face me, because on the next pump, I shot a giant wad of oil in my face.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool

Don't worry about overfilling the transmission. The vent tube along the top of the T-56 will discharge any excess. When you take it for a drive, I'd be interested in any feedback you have on the Redline mixture. It's been so long since I made the switch.

I think everyone uses those fluid transfer pumps at one point or another. They also sell them on Amazon. When I did my first transmission oil change, it was getting dark and I didn't notice that the hose backed out during a pump. Apparently it curled around to face me, because on the next pump, I shot a giant wad of oil in my face.
Ill let u know how i like it, seems smoother already after just a 5 mile drive.
I filled it till it leaked, then i waited and pumped it again untill it leaked, then i did it the third time and thats when i put the fill bolt back in.
The curled tube sucks, but Lol at it shootin at ya, its funny but not funny. And i bet that crap tasted nasty cause it smells nasty
Old 11-13-2017, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fuzzy, any tips on doing a brake flush? Since it got 8 bleeders? I got 3 liters of the ate typ200 that u told me about before on one of my other threads, i hope thats enough for me to do a complete brake flush and maybe a clutch flush also. I need to do it since i dont know if its ever been changed and it looks pretty black. So im sure its garbage
Old 11-13-2017, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Flush away all of that filth like I have just recently done. Looks like we had similar owners that ignored all the other fluids. At least oil seems changed correctly on mine.

Huge difference on the Redline T56 cocktail vs OEM burnt fluid. Temps are down ~50 degrees when I really horse around and ~30 degress overall with the new transmission fluid. Cooler is better, thank you for the recommendation Fuzzy Logic.

I used ~3.5L of brake fluid and I did a hell of a manual brake flush. At least 10-12x per round, three rounds, the good old fashioned two-person way.

Now that I have the other fluids good, my clutch fluid is dirty and needs replaced. Trying to get a pressure bleeder for that one.....
Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kra86
Flush away all of that filth like I have just recently done. Looks like we had similar owners that ignored all the other fluids. At least oil seems changed correctly on mine.

Huge difference on the Redline T56 cocktail vs OEM burnt fluid. Temps are down ~50 degrees when I really horse around and ~30 degress overall with the new transmission fluid. Cooler is better, thank you for the recommendation Fuzzy Logic.

I used ~3.5L of brake fluid and I did a hell of a manual brake flush. At least 10-12x per round, three rounds, the good old fashioned two-person way.

Now that I have the other fluids good, my clutch fluid is dirty and needs replaced. Trying to get a pressure bleeder for that one.....
Damn, so i should have plenty then if you did all that with 3 and a half liters.
I can tell the trans temps were down on my lil test drive earlier, i beat on it for a bit and couldnt get it no higher than 123 on a 5 mile drive in stop and go traffic and some redline pulls in a few gears
Old 11-13-2017, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need for the pump, stick the hose in the plug and run it up my the mc and dump it in! I always ended up losing fluid with the pump
Old 11-13-2017, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can i use this d4 atf for my power steering?
What are you guys useing?
As of right now im useing the napa brand power steering fluid
Old 11-22-2017, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Been around a week since the fluid change, so far so good, seems a bit smoother and also noticed about 20 degree lower trans temps.
I still need to crawl up under there to check to see if the leak went away with that new solenoid.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The piece in the bottom is about $50. But it's almost certainly not leaking. There's almost no way for oil to get through from the top 90 degree piece and come out below. A better bet might be to find an O-ring for the top piece. Sadly I threw away my old one otherwise I'd be of more help.

Worst case, I think you'll need to refill the oil at some point. I'm not sure how fast it's going away so it's impossible to know when you'll encounter a problem. Before I run off, have you verified that the oil is not coming out of the tail shaft seal near the giubo?
Fuzzy, do you have anything specific to look for a leak out of the tailshaft?
I have trans fluid sprayed all over the underside of the car. Can't tell if it's coming from the reverse lockout solenoid or out of the trans tail shaft. If the shaft is leaking, do i need to take the rear part of the trans apart?

Quick Reply: Help with tranny scensor leak?