Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to run 11x11 trans cooler with SSRA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Possible to run 11x11 trans cooler with SSRA?

I have been searching all over and can't seem to find many options for this, and when I do the pictures no longer show. I was thinking it would fit dope style, but it sounds like it's too large for that location.

My thoughts on possible options would be to try to attach directly to the condenser instead of using the brackets to hold it away (Might clear the SSRA?) Or attach directly to the radiator in between the condenser and radiator, which still may be a tight squeeze. I read a bunch of people saying between the radiator and condenser wouldn't work, but then saw others say they did it and works fine.

I don't really want to purchase a fan and would like to avoid exhanging for a smaller cooler set up unless I have to, so I figured I'd atleast see if anyone found a way to make this happen and still keep the trans cool. I may end up selling the SSRA if there aren't any options, but I sure would like the .1 ET and 1 mph gains it claims.

Here is the current mounted location. Cooler size is 11 in. x 11.625 in. x 0.75 in. Hopefully someone out there has found a way to make this work. Thanks in advance! Pictures are much appreciated as well.

Its about an inch away from the condenser.

Last edited by RollinSScamaro; 11-20-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm curious how this will turn out. Seems like there has to be a way
Old 11-20-2017, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another question.. if mounting dope style what's the largest cooler that fits the B&M 70264 or the 70266? Everyone keeps referring to the 70264, but that doesn't seem like it would do well with a 4k stall.. any info is appreciated.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump..
Old 11-23-2017, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 352 Likes on 244 Posts

This is just a idea...... I have had my fans out many times but don't recall how much room is between the fans and the radiator...... If there is enough room that could be a option.... on the back side of the radiator.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

these cars don't need a huge cooler with a big stall due to the lock up feature. When its locked up, its not heating up the fluid like you think it is. I have a small "dope" cooler with my 3600 and my trans fluid stays in great shape.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I appreciate both of you chiming in. Im not sure how much room there is between the fans and radiator, but it seems like it was less than an inch if I remember right. I also agree with the lock up, it doesn't get nearly as hot.. with my 11x11 mounted in front of my condenser I can hot lap 3 times on a 75 degree day and only hit 170-180 at most.. same with stop and go traffic on a 80-90 degree day.. it is hard to get it up to temp in the cold.. my tuner street tuned the car and when he was done he was like.. your trans doesn't get hot at all!! Lol definitely over kill.

Last edited by RollinSScamaro; 11-24-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thickness of my cooler is roughly .75".. this is how it looks from above mounted in front of the condenser.

I have roughly 1.5" or more gap between the radiator and condenser.

My thought is to mount my 11x11 cooler on the back of the condenser as far to the passenger side as possible so the SSRA doesn't totally block airflow to it. I will prob buy one of those zip tie install kits with foam pads to protect the mating surfaces. Then I have the added benefit of the radiator cooling fans pulling air through it to keep it cool..

Just to be safe i was thinking I can buy a slp fan switch for track time and stop and go traffic, this way I could crank the fans on high to cool the trans and radiator. I may get some heat soak from the radiator, but with the 160 stat and fan settings it typically runs 170-180 degrees if i remember right.

Anyone have thoughts on this or tried it before? If it doesn't work well I could try buying a smaller cooler and going dope style, but im concerned if the smaller cooler with no fan on it wouldnt be safe for a 4000 stall?

Last edited by RollinSScamaro; 11-24-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Was mocking everything up tonight.. the cooler will fit on the back side of the condenser and stays about 1/2" from the front of the radiator.. the only pain is going to be getting lines to it.. I could drill a hole through the support below it and run lines up to it, but still a slight pain. I can see why dope style would be easier since you can get the lines to it much easier.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a smaller cooler dope style with dual fans and it did not do justice with a 4000 stall. Just ask 98CayanneTA. Two years ago at powercruise I couldn't get a lap in before hitting 200 with fans on, and got as high as 248 on a long pull. While his didn't hit 170 all weekend with a good size cooler where the condenser was. That was a bolt on car with stall. Luckily I had good fluid that did not burn up.

This year I added the larger cooler, removed the condenser and SSRA, kept the dope style with fan as well. Then added the LPW deep pan. This year I didn't hit 200 all weekend putting on 400+ miles on the road course in the 3 days. This year was pushing more power as well with Heads/Cam.

What I'm getting at is do not just run dope style. You will regret it and end up adding a larger cooler in the future. I do really like the LPW pan with the extra capacity too.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's the exact kind of info on looking for for someone running a 4k stall! Seems like most I find running dope style are less than 4k so it makes me nervous the smaller cooler would not work well with no fans on it.

I am really starting to think maybe my idea would work mounting to the back passenger side of the condenser.. this will allow air to pass around the SSRA and worst case i flip fans on high with a switch and cool it down. Biggest downfall is running the lines and then the possibility of it not working of course. It is an 11x11 cooler with natural airflow and fan control so it sounds good in theory lol. I just wish someone that has tried it could chime in..
Old 11-25-2017, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did find this on a really old thread of mine when I was researching coolers .. it sounds like he had his set up like what I'm thinking.. i am just curious if he had a condenser or not? His build looks like something you'd remove it on lol. I was going to PM him, but he hasn't been on since March. Some what good info regardless.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:04 AM
Teching In

That makes sense. I have mine close to the radiator. I did add the SLP fan switch so I can keep the fan running at all times. I'm sure this helps. In my eyes it is better to keep your trans at a decent temp vs getting 1mph and a couple horsepower with the SSRA. Just need to find a way to make both work, so if you do be sure to share!
Old 11-25-2017, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Look into that LPW pan too
Old 11-25-2017, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lol I know I'm almost regretting buying the SSRA already, but it seems to provide some pretty big gains for what it is. What size cooler are you running? Is it necessary to run your fans to keep it cool or is that just when running at the track and stop and go traffic?

If I get this to work I'll definitely share.. maybe I'm the first to try it or the only sucker to try it lol. I know the b&m is thicker and a lot of people run that vs. the Hayden that I have. The b&m may not fit between the condenser and radiator.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...condenser.html

Just found this thread saying it's a bad idea, so maybe I will be better off not doing this? You would think it would be fine, but maybe the heat soak is too much.. I guess I could always just debaffle the hood and sell the SSRA
Old 11-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Teching In

I have the B&M. Definitely want a fin style and not a tube. It actually isn't necessary to run fans, 98Cayanne doesn't. I do just cause they were already there. If there is a way to make this work, he will find a way. He is trapping 3-4 more mph than me....probably cause he is also 60 lbs lighter! He is 11.2x, I'm 11.33. both with 1.58 60s
Old 11-25-2017, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Trans Am's are faster than Camaro's from the factory
Old 11-25-2017, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol yea it probably does have everything to do with him having a trans am. Cayenne you run the SSRA?? I found a post from 2006 from a member on here saying he ran his between the condenser and radiator.. he's still active so I PM'd him to get more details.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
Lol yea it probably does have everything to do with him having a trans am. Cayenne you run the SSRA?? I found a post from 2006 from a member on here saying he ran his between the condenser and radiator.. he's still active so I PM'd him to get more details.
I do not run the ssra. I deleted my a/c so I run my cooler right where the condenser would be, spaced about 1/2in. off the radiator.

I do not think putting the cooler between the radiator and condenser is a good idea.

Are you bypassing the stock cooler in the radiator?

Another place you could look at running the cooler is in the back, above in the rear bumper area. It would get decent flow back there also.

Quick Reply: Possible to run 11x11 trans cooler with SSRA?