Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How can I quiet an open Red BOV on an F1A?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I quiet an open Red BOV on an F1A?

Any creative ideas out there for me to quiet the open Red Race BOV? Something I can easily take off and put back on? Or even better a permanent quieter solution.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

If you could build an enclosure around it, like an OEM airbox or something it would help.

But there isnt really any easy way to make such a thing quiet. Although I thought mine wasnt too bad when I had one. The Vortech Mondo I had before was far louder.

Procharger do offer a big red with an enclosed pipe takeoff, that you could route somewhere maybe less audible. Although forcing air through a smaller orifice/pipe....it's hard to say that ultimately that would be quieter than a fully open setup, although it would at least allow you to route it somewhere less noticeable, or directly back into the inlet of the supercharger. But if you also run a short induction pipe and good filter....that wont kill the noise anyway
Old 12-24-2017, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been thinking about some ideas to quiet down my bypass as well. I have the pipe exit style big red bypass VS the one that has holes all around the top. I also need to move my catch can into the wheel well because the radiator fans are pulling the gasses into the engine bay and I can smell it in the cab. So my Idea is to pull the bumper and plumb big red into the biggest air filter I can fit into the wheel well. I'm hoping the air filter will "muffler" the sound some and still be able to handle the big burst of air on WOT shifting.

Here is the big red bypass I have

Here is where my by pass is located, so I have some room to hide this filter in the pass side wheel well.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:24 AM
9 Second Club

If you were to route a hose off the BOV and then attach a paper air filter on the end, that will usually dampen a lot of noise.

Or maybe a small paper filter directly onto the BOV, and then build another enclosure around that, again much like a small OEM airbox. All those things help to quieten noises.

Maybe even some sort of small filter housing from a bike or off road type vehicle or some machinery ?
Although you'd want something with a decent amount of area.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If you were to route a hose off the BOV and then attach a paper air filter on the end, that will usually dampen a lot of noise.

Or maybe a small paper filter directly onto the BOV, and then build another enclosure around that, again much like a small OEM airbox. All those things help to quieten noises.

Maybe even some sort of small filter housing from a bike or off road type vehicle or some machinery ?
Although you'd want something with a decent amount of area.
I use these 2 filters in a lot of my machines and tractors at work I was going to try to build a hose or pipe to coupler the bypass to the filter. These are fairly large filters so I just need to see how I can fit them in hidden in the wheel well.

https://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/46438.html

https://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/46671.html

Both of these filters are used on my turbo diesel applications so they are fairly stout in construction.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Again it's not just the filter...it will be important to have the filter in an enclosure, again, just as OEM's always do if noise reduction is your main goal.
And IMO a paper element will kill noise better than foam.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my TA I was able to use a packing blanket to muffle the sound. As was suggested you need to create a breathable enclosure and use a sound dealing method i.e. Foam or as in my case a thick packing blanket. It won't make it sleeper quiet, it just tones it down enough to hear the radio LOL. My BOV was exposed through the lower air duct .... it was so loud it turned heads from 75 yards away.

My issue is: I did not build an enclosure. I simply took advantage of the space around the BOV which is directly behind the lower air duct on the front bumper. Problem is that the blanket shifts out of the place. I am in the process of making it an enclosure.

Note: I replaced my BOV with a TIAL 50mm. The thinking was to utilize the option of changing spring rates in an effort to allow it to close it little earlier while still preventing compressor surge ( which is its primary and a much needed function). The -6 lb spring allows me to pedal into it just a hair while cruising to close the valve & stop to hurricane. It also allows me to get into boost just a split second sooner than the -2lb spring. That level also seems to work fine when coming off a strong hit as the BOV opens right on que and releases pressure as it should.
At the end of the day .... the TIAL experiment wasn't worth the money for the purpose of quieting things down. We learn as we go.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Conan: yours seems to be an an ideal set up to do what you propose. A little trial an error testing with filters should get you to the sweet spot.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:09 AM
9 Second Club

I suppose there is little reason you couldnt just make a base flange...and pretty much fully enclose the BOV within an air filter casing. The open BOV would probably lend itself a little better to this

Or just make a top/bottom flange and sandwich a typical round paper filter between them with the BOV inside.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

my enclosed red race valve is so much quieter than a buddies open race valve . Maybe get the enclosed one . then you can run a hose with filter on it .
Old 12-30-2017, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Buy the enclosed race valve!

I had the plastic cut out below my open valve and it sounds better/louder.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike 02T/A
Buy the enclosed race valve!

I had the plastic cut out below my open valve and it sounds better/louder.
Any downsides to going from the race valve to the enclosed? What is the enclosed designed for?
Old 12-31-2017, 05:19 AM
9 Second Club

As you can see in post #3, it's pretty obvious what for...so you can attach a pipe and route it elsewhere.

However, as to whether air flowing through a large open orifice, or forced through a smaller channel makes more noise or not....harder to say.

But a long pipe attached to it and routed elsewhere, to a filter, casing, silencer etc....will help reduce noise. No different than your exhaust.

Quick Reply: How can I quiet an open Red BOV on an F1A?