Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are the pictures of the pipes they have the exact same bends.
Attached Thumbnails Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-pipe1.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-pipe2.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-pipe3.jpg  
Old 02-09-2018, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Your assumption is correct, they are both driver side inlet tubes. You'll need to contact customer service to get it swapped out for the correct one...mention this interaction you had with me and things should go smoothly for you.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Sena,
I have a 66 chevelle that I am currently converting from a 350 sbc to a 5.3L with a 97 t56 behind, question on ur gas tank set up, like what ur doing with the gas line conversion, are u using this set up for a EFI and if so how are you connecting to a stock tank and how are u connecting the return to the stock tank, want to do a Corvette filter and external pump to save money for now until I can fully do a EFI gas tank conversion.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2018, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Senna

Hello Senna,
I have a 66 chevelle that I am currently converting from a 350 sbc to a 5.3L with a 97 t56 behind, question on ur gas tank set up, like what ur doing with the gas line conversion, wondering how are you connecting to a stock tank and how are u connecting the return to the stock tank, want to do a Corvette filter and external pump to save money for now until I can fully do a EFI gas tank conversion. Learning from others on this site, I think I posted to the wrong person.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2018, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Your assumption is correct, they are both driver side inlet tubes. You'll need to contact customer service to get it swapped out for the correct one...mention this interaction you had with me and things should go smoothly for you.
Toddoky thank you for the quick response and your help. I would also like to say you did an amazing job on this conversion kit as I have the mounts, headers and 3 inch exhaust and it all fits perfect (except for the one inlet tube not your fault).I have narrowed rear frame rails, Narrowed moser 12 bolt, all aftermarket adjustable suspension and lowered and all my drive angles are correct and the exhaust went though perfect.
Thanks again for your work.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by earl442
Toddoky thank you for the quick response and your help. I would also like to say you did an amazing job on this conversion kit as I have the mounts, headers and 3 inch exhaust and it all fits perfect (except for the one inlet tube not your fault).I have narrowed rear frame rails, Narrowed moser 12 bolt, all aftermarket adjustable suspension and lowered and all my drive angles are correct and the exhaust went though perfect.
Thanks again for your work.
That sounds like a great combination of parts, post up some pics of your car in this thread once everything is installed so others can see your results.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by louieace1
Hello Sena,
I have a 66 chevelle that I am currently converting from a 350 sbc to a 5.3L with a 97 t56 behind, question on ur gas tank set up, like what ur doing with the gas line conversion, are u using this set up for a EFI and if so how are you connecting to a stock tank and how are u connecting the return to the stock tank, want to do a Corvette filter and external pump to save money for now until I can fully do a EFI gas tank conversion.

Thanks
I am using EFI, but it's not a stock tank, it's a Tanks Ink tank with an internal pump.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Senna
I am using EFI, but it's not a stock tank, it's a Tanks Ink tank with an internal pump.
OK got it thanks for the response
Old 02-22-2018, 10:11 AM
8 Second Club

Default Hooker/Holley collection in 67 Malibu

I was going to wait until completely done, but since I'm home with sick kiddo today, going to post everything done so far..

To set the stage I've got a 67 Malibu that's getting a GTO based LS2 and T56. I've gone full stop with Holley/Hooker parts with the exception of the their trans crossmember (and may go that way if mine presents any issues with exhaust installation).

So I have Holley 302-3 oil pan with 302-11 baffle.

Using factory 4th gen fbody motor mounts with poly inserts.

Hooker 71221009HKR standard location frame stands (the rear bias version that puts bellhousing in stock plane).

Hooker 70101336-RHKR 1-7/8" full length headers

Hooker 705013111RHKR 3" exhaust kit.

So far I have the pan on, engine installed, and headers in. Going to get after the exhaust installation this weekend.

Initial feedback is that everything fits great!!!! The engine sits low but still plenty of oil pan clearance to inner tie rods, topside of k-member, rear side of k-member, and tons of ground clearance (does not hang below k-member). The headers also fit great and slid in with zero fight. I emphasize the quality of their fitment because I have previously tried BRP/Musclerods headers (that hit oil filter and hang way too low) and Pacesetter 4th gen headers (that you have to hammer a primary tube in and make a wonky lead pipe since driver side kicks out weird). These headers clear the steering shaft by a ton, the k-member, frame rails, oil filter, floor pans, firewall, all good...and still prime ground clearance! They're close-ish to the passenger aft a-arm bolt and a-arm body, but not touching, i.e. NOT A PROBLEM, just close. Optimistic that the remaining exhaust kit fits well too.

So here's a few pictures, first time using file attachment function... Can post more detailed stuff if anyone desires.
Attached Thumbnails Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-hooker-frame-stands-1024x768-.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-ls2-t56-going-1024x768-.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-inner-tie-rod-clearance-1024x768-.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-sump-ground-kmember-clearance-1024x768-.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-passenger-top-view-1024x768-.jpg  

Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-passenger-frame-clearance-1024x768-.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-passenger-floor-clearance-1024x768-.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-driver-steering-clearance-1024x768-.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-driver-floor-clearance-1024x768-.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-total-ground-clearance-1024x768-.jpg  

Old 02-22-2018, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Looks OEM
Old 02-22-2018, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

The 3 inch exhaust kit fit fine on my 67...
Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Received 120 Likes on 64 Posts

Question - is the exhaust now the lowest point? Or are they tucked higher than the crossmember. I have airbags and need the exhaust to tuck pretty good to not sit on it when the bags are aired out. I was going to go with the mid-length headers, but from you pictures, I might be good with long tube.

Thanks,
Jim

Originally Posted by NOS327
I was going to wait until completely done, but since I'm home with sick kiddo today, going to post everything done so far..

To set the stage I've got a 67 Malibu that's getting a GTO based LS2 and T56. I've gone full stop with Holley/Hooker parts with the exception of the their trans crossmember (and may go that way if mine presents any issues with exhaust installation).

So I have Holley 302-3 oil pan with 302-11 baffle.

Using factory 4th gen fbody motor mounts with poly inserts.

Hooker 71221009HKR standard location frame stands (the rear bias version that puts bellhousing in stock plane).

Hooker 70101336-RHKR 1-7/8" full length headers

Hooker 705013111RHKR 3" exhaust kit.

So far I have the pan on, engine installed, and headers in. Going to get after the exhaust installation this weekend.

Initial feedback is that everything fits great!!!! The engine sits low but still plenty of oil pan clearance to inner tie rods, topside of k-member, rear side of k-member, and tons of ground clearance (does not hang below k-member). The headers also fit great and slid in with zero fight. I emphasize the quality of their fitment because I have previously tried BRP/Musclerods headers (that hit oil filter and hang way too low) and Pacesetter 4th gen headers (that you have to hammer a primary tube in and make a wonky lead pipe since driver side kicks out weird). These headers clear the steering shaft by a ton, the k-member, frame rails, oil filter, floor pans, firewall, all good...and still prime ground clearance! They're close-ish to the passenger aft a-arm bolt and a-arm body, but not touching, i.e. NOT A PROBLEM, just close. Optimistic that the remaining exhaust kit fits well too.

So here's a few pictures, first time using file attachment function... Can post more detailed stuff if anyone desires.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

I may be able to provide some useful reference photos that helps to visualize the ground clearance of the Hooker Blackheart headers and exhaust system. Yes, the lowest part of the system is present in the exhaust system and is just about on the same plane as the bottom of the stock 4L80 transmission pan also depicted in this first image. The 2nd image shows the front tire clearance with the fender as a gauge to indicate the amount of front suspension drop that was present in this particular car.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Received 120 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I may be able to provide some useful reference photos that helps to visualize the ground clearance of the Hooker Blackheart headers and exhaust system. Yes, the lowest part of the system is present in the exhaust system and is just about on the same plane as the bottom of the stock 4L80 transmission pan also depicted in this first image. The 2nd image shows the front tire clearance with the fender as a gauge to indicate the amount of front suspension drop that was present in this particular car.
Thanks Todd. Looks like I'll still have to go with the mid-length. I don't want the weight of the car sitting on the headers with it all the way lowered.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Something to keep in mind is that the long tube header collectors and the Holley oil pan are both tucked higher than the bottom of the engine crossmember, which means you are going to bottom out on the crossmember before touching the header collectors. Take a look at this image...
Old 03-10-2018, 08:40 AM
8 Second Club

Finally got around to installing the 3" exhaust kit behind the headers. Impressed with this stuff too. Attention to details, all clamps and hangers included, NO drilling required (uses factory hanger provisions on frame), nice and tidy to structure. Very happy.
Attached Thumbnails Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-20180309_230052.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-20180309_225943.jpg  
Old 03-10-2018, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NOS327
Finally got around to installing the 3" exhaust kit behind the headers. Impressed with this stuff too. Attention to details, all clamps and hangers included, NO drilling required (uses factory hanger provisions on frame), nice and tidy to structure. Very happy.
Excellent, everything looks as it should.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:39 AM
8 Second Club

For you guys used to aluminized steel pipe exhaust, you're in for a treat on weight. This stainless stuff is all about 40% lighter than my old exhaust!
Attached Thumbnails Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-20180309_134235.jpg  
Old 06-06-2018, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Todd I have a few basic questions. I have a 1965 olds F85 that will be at stock height and has a 9 inch Ford rear with Edelbrock adjustable rear upper arms. I have a carbed LS3 and want to use the existing T400 setup and drive shaft. I am guessing that will mean the rear location mounts which is fine with me. I plan to use the Holley front accessory brackets (for the short Corvette type water pump for maximum radiator clearance) for driver side alternator and power steering pump. No AC planned. Will the rear mount position allow the power steering pulley to clear a Delphi steering box? Also can any other pump other than the Corvette power steering pump be used with the Holley brackets? Also I noticed your drawing of the floor profile with the engine trans in the rear position and how the floor interferes. Even though my car will be stock height, if cutting the tunnel to get a perfect drive shaft angle is not a problem as the car is stripped down right now.
Thanks for the help this thread is GREAT!
Jarhead
Old 06-07-2018, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Hey Jarhead. When using the Hooker rear bias engine mounting brackets the engine/transmission mating plane remains in the stock SB Chevy location where it sits in a Chevelle application, but I don't know how that translates relative to the other A-bodies that used engines from the other GM divisions. Because of that, I can't guarantee that your driveshaft length will be appropriate when you install your engine using the Hooker engine brackets. If you going to have clearance issues with the TH400, it's going to be in the area of the extension housing only.

The power steering pump pulley on the Holley Corvette style accessory drive set-up should clear the Delphi steering box fine at that position just like it does with the Hooker forward bias engine mounting brackets. The Holley PS pump/alternator bracket is designed for use only with the Corvette pump.

Quick Reply: Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread