Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Air Filter for Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:14 AM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

This place is pathetic anymore

If you honestly think a damn turbo guard/screen has the potential to offer less restriction vs a proper filter

Or can't can't grasp how a filter can actually promote flow into an open tube...

U should go back to school
Old 03-22-2018, 11:17 AM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Glad to have found the filter guys are running that are a restriction

Old 03-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I may come up with an idea while considering a problem. If I've done or tried something I always post it and its usually easy to replicate, and that one doesn't sound easy so it wouldn't be something I would normally try. Still worth mentioning the idea though. Can you imagine smoke at high frame rate entering a compressor with and without an air straightening device? It may reveal 'lines' of turbulence. How they do something similar with cars in a wind tunnel to find 'lines of turbulence' is what gave me the idea. The turbo manufacturer undoubtedly has a better mathematical approach to this problem and it clearly reflects the front of their housings.

If I've done or tried something I always post it for ex. when I did my balancer for the first time, I had never seen one of these torque to angle or whatever, so I made it into something I could post

Another

Pretty easy to replicate that at home. I posted a whole bunch of those in a thread somewhere...

Originally Posted by truckdoug
king talen with a classic autism spectrum word vomit pile

we got some people talking about putting sensors in and taking measurements
thats me. You got me in there twice. I mentioned sensors and a poppet from Ebay twice on this thread. I always do when filters and pcv comes up because the air filter restriction is a key part of a functional PCV system at wide open throttle.
Illustration:

Last edited by kingtal0n; 03-22-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
I may come up with an idea while considering a problem. If I've done or tried something I always post it and its usually easy to replicate, and that one doesn't sound easy so it wouldn't be something I would normally try. Still worth mentioning the idea though. Can you imagine smoke at high frame rate entering a compressor with and without an air straightening device? It may reveal 'lines' of turbulence. How they do something similar with cars in a wind tunnel to find 'lines of turbulence' is what gave me the idea. The turbo manufacturer undoubtedly has a better mathematical approach to this problem and it clearly reflects the front of their housings.

If I've done or tried something I always post it for ex. when I did my balancer for the first time, I had never seen one of these torque to angle or whatever, so I made it into something I could post

Another

Pretty easy to replicate that at home. I posted a whole bunch of those in a thread somewhere...

thats me. You got me in there twice. I mentioned sensors and a poppet from Ebay twice on this thread. I always do when filters and pcv comes up because the air filter restriction is a key part of a functional PCV system at wide open throttle.
Illustration:
Dude....enough with the Pythagorean theorem type responses. Where is your California emissions test passing, AC retaining, full interior, rear exit exhaust having, 7 second car at? Seems with as much as you know, you would be holding court at any track on the planet. Yet, I never see you posting up any track vids. Tell us what your track game is like!
Old 03-22-2018, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Anger management 101 teaches the rule to never let a discussion turn into a competition because as soon as it does everyone in the discussion thinks they have to be the winner. Ultimately everyone ends up being a loser or worse.

So best when it turns into a competition is to walk away before it gets ugly.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
This place is pathetic anymore

If you honestly think a damn turbo guard/screen has the potential to offer less restriction vs a proper filter

Or can't can't grasp how a filter can actually promote flow into an open tube...

U should go back to school
They teach you all that at dirt farmer school?
Old 03-22-2018, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
... Tell us what your track game is like!
He has none. His 5.3 is running literally 3psi of boost and he cares about his MPG at WOT.....
Old 03-22-2018, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Anger management 101 teaches the rule to never let a discussion turn into a competition because as soon as it does everyone in the discussion thinks they have to be the winner. Ultimately everyone ends up being a loser or worse.

So best when it turns into a competition is to walk away before it gets ugly.
Or hang out while it gets hilarious.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

I agree with the farmer. All about Filter media per sq inch... Much better off with even a small filter.

Screens are horrible for flow and filtration. The new filter guard "MAX" design uses that huge honey comb design because the old screens were so bad flow wise. The filtration is even worse with the new design. Now they are only are only good to keep large rocks and small animals out of the inlets.

It's funny those turbo guard guys tried to implement a foam filter media over their screens a few years back. They were so restrictive you couldn't even get into boost with one in place... so they dropped the product.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I agree with the farmer. All about Filter media per sq inch... Much better off with even a small filter.

Screens are horrible for flow and filtration. The new filter guard "MAX" design uses that huge honey comb design because the old screens were so bad flow wise. The filtration is even worse with the new design. Now they are only are only good to keep large rocks and small animals out of the inlets.

It's funny those turbo guard guys tried to implement a foam filter media over their screens a few years back. They were so restrictive you couldn't even get into boost with one in place... so they dropped the product.

Haha that's awesome I'm just gonna zip tie a red scotchbrite pad to my inlet.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 407 Posts

this has turned into one of the better threads in recent memory. we got it all.

the classic rotarty "just stop posting" like it's 2006 and he's a mod on 4 chan

king talen with a classic autism spectrum word vomit pile

we got some people talking about putting sensors in and taking measurements

A+ would read again
Best. Response. Ever.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 407 Posts

Haha that's awesome I'm just gonna zip tie a red scotchbrite pad to my inlet.
A friend of mine ran the foam Turbo Guards...until his turbos ate them.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

I'm planning on hitting the track tomorrow. If I can get in more than like 2 passes I plan on pulling the filter on a pass so I can compare at least MPH. If I get to do it I will report back good or bad.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n

Another

Illustration:

I have a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering and design engines and fuel systems for a living, and I am now dumber having seen this.

lol
Old 03-22-2018, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by roastin240
I have a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering and design engines and fuel systems for a living, and I am now dumber having seen this.
lol
Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Old 03-22-2018, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

yessssssssss!!!!
Old 03-22-2018, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely got more from this thread then I asked for hahaha. I have one more question. Is it possible or likely that switching to a bigger/better flowing filter could create more boost?
Old 03-22-2018, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by roastin240

lol
Then shame on you. I have a master of science as well, and still going for what comes next.

Maybe you should take a closer look instead of acting like a jackass online in front of your pals

Or option B: Try actually finding something wrong with the illustration. It is easy to say something is wrong... but when that thing is actually correct... you will be unable to find any flaws.
Attached Thumbnails Air Filter for Turbo?-degreescuff.jpg  
Old 03-22-2018, 07:57 PM
Banned

And now to compile supporting data regarding oil ring tension and engine crankcase vacuum

To get the best results from a pump, you need very low tension rings AND VERTICAL GAS PORTS- With those features, I see over 50 HP gains from conventional rings without gas ports. I have seen where the vac pump installed on a conventional engine will only make two or three more HP than without it
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...7&postcount=11

Ultra low oil ring assembly is typically in the 4# range.
Just adding a vacuum pump on an engine with standard tension rings won't result in much, if any, measureable horsepower. A vacuum pump used on an engine with low tension rings will "allow" the engine to produce additional horsepower, benefitting from reduced friction, by controlling crankcase conditions.
Low tension compression rings are only effective when used with gas ports and the vertical port is the most direct and the most effective method of introducing combustion pressure to the backside of the ring groove.