Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F1R on 2002 fbody question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default F1R on 2002 fbody question.

I have an F1R installed in my 02 ws6. According to the label it should be facing up for best oiling. Mine is facing the left of the car. Fits no other way, if I would put the label up then the blower won't fit and the part where air comes out (don't know the name I'm new to this) will be facing straight up. Will this damage the blower? The fill and drain are straight up and down so don't know if that's normal.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 03-30-2018, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't quote me on this but if the fill and drain are straight up and down there shouldn't be an issue. That's the rule of thumb for a turbo at least and the supercharger CHRA I would imagine would be oiled similarly.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I would call ATI tech support and verify the below. When you call make to sure to have the serial number.

But it looks as if the outlet (discharge)is clocked to push air to the driver side rather than to the passenger side which means you loosen the bolts and rotate the outlet so it points towards the passenger side.

On my D1 the outlet points to the passenger side from the top, not from the bottom. So if I am correct about clocking you would rotate the discharge to point to the passenger side.

The blower hat (a plastic piece attaches to this housing), usually points to the driver side of the vehicle with the air filter tucked into the driver side fender cavity. But there are other ways to plumb the piping and air filter.

As for the drain plug - note I have a D1SC.

When viewing from the backside of the charger, the drain plug is approximately between 6:30 PM and 7:00 pm (if it were a clock).

Bob at Brute Speed is also a good source concerning info about installation.

Pics below are of my D1.

The Allen head bolts are NOT metric. So make sure to use the correct Allen head sockets (but that's on my D1 (2005 version)- verify that's its the same for your F1)

hth

Hopefully Bob will chime in with confirmation.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Tip:

When you tighten the jack screw for belt tension, make sure the idler pulley is tightened firmly to the J bracket.

The reason is that there is enough play in the slot so the idler pulley shaft will rotate fore and aft and/or left to right. If the idler pulley shaft ***** ever so slightly in the slot the pulley will get out of alignment as you move the idler pulley and shaft downward with the jack screw. If out of aligment and cocked the pulley will rub against the J bracket.

See pics in my link what happens to the idler pulley if it isn't properly aligned on the j bracket. Note also that I used a much thicker washer - one that won't concave as you tighten the idler pulley bolt into the final fixed position.

Lastly, get a spare allen head bolt and cut off the head. Use it to mount and unmount the charger head. Makes it so much easier to hang the charger on the single head less bolt screwed into the j bracket. And also much easier to align the rest of the mounting bolts. It's a bugger when you have to do it alone by yourself.

No fear of dropping the head unit with the single headless bolt holding it in place on the j bracket.

Obviously - this assumes the charger is already installed in the car and you want to switch a pulley or replace a belt.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 03-30-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

This diagram shows the clocking. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-30-2018, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok all, I appreciate all the responses. I found out that as long as the slinger is down at the lowest point then the blower should be ok. There is 3 points it can be. Mine is straight down and seems to be good. Someone must of changed it to fit. I bought it used so I've been buying pieces little by little and learning new things. Thank you so much and I highly appreciate the info.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

The drain plug should be at 6 oclock (if you have a digital watch your in trouble, lol) it is below the slinger as comes from Procharger. Like Bobs pics.