Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter clearance

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter clearance

Hey guys, finished installing my cast iron 6.2 inside my chevy avalanche. I have a question about torque converter clearance. I bought a circle D stall, and from the converter pads to the flexplate, I am able to put a 5/64 drill bit , but not a 1/8. I want to know if that is fine to bolt up for my 6l80e 6 speed trans. 5/64 is .078 inches please get back to me. I dont want to wipe out a thrust bearing.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Seriously...a similar question was just posted

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...r-spacing.html

Secondly...pick up your phone and call Circle D

I have seen 1/16-3/16 as acceptable. Some places want to see an 1/8 or nothing else.
Just call and get the info from the horses mouth.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I won't speak for Circle D but we normally do .100" as an absolute minimum but prefer 1/8-3/16

-Dalton
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 01-15-2019, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Really all that matters is that the pump isn't bottomed out, or that the converter tangs aren't just barely engaged. You should be able to gauge by feel if this isn't your first go around.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Game ova
Really all that matters is that the pump isn't bottomed out, or that the converter tangs aren't just barely engaged. You should be able to gauge by feel if this isn't your first go around.
If the clearance is too tight...then this is exactly what will happen. So having it be too tight can easily wear out the trans pump or cause other damage.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
If the clearance is too tight...then this is exactly what will happen. So having it be too tight can easily wear out the trans pump or cause other damage.
I agreed totally. But after a while of messing with cars/transmissions, you should be able to tell by feel/sight. This may well be ops first go around, so I'm definitely not slamming him, as we all have to start somewhere.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Seriously...a similar question was just posted

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...r-spacing.html

Secondly...pick up your phone and call Circle D

I have seen 1/16-3/16 as acceptable. Some places want to see an 1/8 or nothing else.
Just call and get the info from the horses mouth.

They said they usually want 1/8 clearance. I have it seated all the way in and there is no way to get more clearance. So what do I do? And that's crazy someone else just posted this, I've been using the search function and saw the post someone said 1/16 to 3/16, but circle d wanta 1/8 so wtf do I do?

Last edited by Lsandlteditor; 01-16-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS
I won't speak for Circle D but we normally do .100" as an absolute minimum but prefer 1/8-3/16

-Dalton

what do you mean normally do? When its fully seated and I have. 078, how can I make that .100? How can I create more clearance without modifying my thrust bearing, or modifying the pads on the converter? This is getting really frustrating
Old 01-15-2019, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Did you rebuild the trans? I've seen the pump gear flipped which will kill clearance.

If stock Engine and trans and you're just changing the converter...then you need to call Circle D again and ask what your options are. If it were mine, I would tell them that their cover needs to be looked at because I don't have clearance and they might machine the pads or the snout.

I know lots of people say they have good luck with Circle D...so I would expect that if you made your situation clear, explained your setup...and told them your issue...they would be willing to get it resolved. Ask them what options you have.
If you just called and asked what they prefer for clearance...they probably just said 1/8 and that was it.
Explain you're having issues and ask for their help to remedy the issue with their product.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Did you rebuild the trans? I've seen the pump gear flipped which will kill clearance.

If stock Engine and trans and you're just changing the converter...then you need to call Circle D again and ask what your options are. If it were mine, I would tell them that their cover needs to be looked at because I don't have clearance and they might machine the pads or the snout.

I know lots of people say they have good luck with Circle D...so I would expect that if you made your situation clear, explained your setup...and told them your issue...they would be willing to get it resolved. Ask them what options you have.
If you just called and asked what they prefer for clearance...they probably just said 1/8 and that was it.
Explain you're having issues and ask for their help to remedy the issue with their product.

having .50 thou taken off the pads by my machinest. I'm at .78 thous now, so .50 off the pads will put me in the money. Thanks so much for showing me the other gentlemens post. I told him what I found and hopefully we can all help each other out. Circle D told me to take off .22 thou, but I'd rather have more clearance than less. I'm aiming for 1/8 that's why I'm gonna do .50
Old 01-16-2019, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Very odd to me that Circle D is having you take your converter to a machinist (maybe you have a buddy and its easier for you to take it to him than it is to send it back to CD)
Old 01-16-2019, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Very odd to me that Circle D is having you take your converter to a machinist (maybe you have a buddy and its easier for you to take it to him than it is to send it back to CD)
Even more odd that any machining whatsoever is needed on an already finished and shipped torque converter. I've never even heard of such trickery to install a torque converter.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

this is my second converter I'm dealing with that had the same issue. I'm using a factory flexplate, a factory engine, a factory non rebuilt 60k 6l80e trans. I paid $125 for Saturday delivery on this current converter, and I received it Monday which pissed me off. I'm not trying to play any more waiting games and wait for them to do the same thing my machinest can do here locally. I need my truck on the road
Old 01-16-2019, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Even more odd that any machining whatsoever is needed on an already finished and shipped torque converter. I've never even heard of such trickery to install a torque converter.

EVEN MORE ODD, the fact that another gentleman had the same issue and posted about it 2 days before I did.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Lsandlteditor
EVEN MORE ODD, the fact that another gentleman had the same issue and posted about it 2 days before I did.
Probably has the same issue that you have, and is probably non torque converter build related. Could be, but highly unlikely.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Probably has the same issue that you have, and is probably non torque converter build related. Could be, but highly unlikely.

How is it non converter build related when I measured from the hub of my Original factory converter to the pads and I got just under 6 and a 1/4 and both the converters they sent me are over 6 and a 1/4. I measured with a straight edge and a level. My factory converter fits no prob. I just happen to have a massive Texas speed cam and need this coonvrrterr or else I'd use my factory converter

not the best picture, but you can see the 2 lines I've marked on the measuring tape, the shorter line was from my factory measurement. Thay difference is what's causing my clearance issue in my opinion
Old 01-16-2019, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

This is my whole point. It is likely a setup/machining issue on Circle D's end

There should be no trickery to install an expensive converter between a factory setup.

This is why I'm surprised Circle D expects the customer to fix it...to be honest I'm assuming this is the customer's choice to fix it himself rather than ship back. I would think circle D would gladly correct the error.
I've heard almost all good things about Circle D and it's hard to make assumptions in this thread without giving them a chance to respond/share some insight.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Lsandlteditor

How is it non converter build related when I measured from the hub of my Original factory converter to the pads and I got just under 6 and a 1/4 and both the converters they sent me are over 6 and a 1/4. I measured with a straight edge and a level. My factory converter fits no prob. I just happen to have a massive Texas speed cam and need this coonvrrterr or else I'd use my factory converter

not the best picture, but you can see the 2 lines I've marked on the measuring tape, the shorter line was from my factory measurement. Thay difference is what's causing my clearance issue in my opinion
Then in that case, they should Express (overnight) ship both ways for free and fix the issue. Weird that a well established company would have an issue as bad as this, but I guess stuff happens.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Then in that case, they should Express (overnight) ship both ways for free and fix the issue. Weird that a well established company would have an issue as bad as this, but I guess stuff happens.

that's what I thought too.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

This is my whole point. It is likely a setup/machining issue on Circle D's end

There should be no trickery to install an expensive converter between a factory setup.

This is why I'm surprised Circle D expects the customer to fix it...to be honest I'm assuming this is the customer's choice to fix it himself rather than ship back. I would think circle D would gladly correct the error.
I've heard almost all good things about Circle D and it's hard to make assumptions in this thread without giving them a chance to respond/share some insight.

it is my choice to fix it, only reason I'm on here trying to get help is because I felt I was annoying them when I called and asked for options because I kept dealing with clearance issues. I was pissed off that they kept telling me its my setup, that I should look into buying an expensive tci flexplate. I'm like what the hell bro? They kept telling me nobody ever had issues with too little clearance , yet someone 2 days prior to me posted on the forums about his clearance issues and he also had 5/64 clearance meaning to little.