Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS pump rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ABS pump rebuild

Have a 4ch ABS pump that is leaking from one of the plugs and I cant seem to find anyone who rebuilds them. lotsa people rebuild the electronics block but non thus far service the hydraulic unit on my 1999 TCS equipped SS.

really in a bind
Old 10-06-2023, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

seems like no one has had one fail or needed repair
hoping ebay used is not my only option
Old 10-06-2023, 04:58 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by kookamunga
Have a 4ch ABS pump that is leaking from one of the plugs
What does this mean? Have you taken the ABS unit apart and see something? Are you getting any codes?

We don't see a whole lot of physical failures of this unit. I expect this is because it isn't a wear item. (The ABS only activates when we are in a skid, so unless someone drives like a maniac every single day, the unit should sit peaceful and unused for most of its life.)
Old 10-06-2023, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

he car is a 1999 S with 60k on it and has spent its entire life as an Autocross car so I suppose maniac is a good way to describe how we drive.

issue is the pump is leaking externally from one of the plugs on the side of the block. there are no issues otherwise and no codes present but it does lose fluid externally. I was able to find a used on and replaced it however would like to have my old one rebuilt. Sadly the car is a TCS car and thus has a harder to find 4CH ABS pump. its easy to find someone to rebuild the control block but no one does the pump for some reason
Old 10-07-2023, 09:26 AM
Save the manuals!

I would say this makes you an outlying case. Is there a manufacturer name and part number on the side of the pump? I would expect that going to the manufacturer would be your best bet for getting new seals and rebuild instructions. (It doesn't look too complicated and expect its something you could do yourself.)
Old 10-09-2023, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Its a Bosch unit an is leaking from the plug on the bottom right. not sure how its assembled so its likely not a matter of just buying some seals from Bosch. trying to find a business that rebuilds ABS pumps since TCS ones are pretty scarce

Old 10-10-2023, 10:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Looks like this company in the United Kingdom implies they can service the valve body. https://www.ecutesting.com/categorie...pumps-modules/
Old 10-10-2023, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

yea messaged them as they are the only ones who list the part number for the unit I have. Hope they can assist I really hate to get rid of a car because this pump cant be serviced. it would mean all of the TCS cars would end up with this problem eventually
Old 10-10-2023, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a leak in my 3CH ABS pump perhaps a year or so ago and I bought a used one from somewhere. I think I also inquired with a place about rebuilding it. I'll see what I can dig up after work.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I had a leak in my 3CH ABS pump perhaps a year or so ago and I bought a used one from somewhere. I think I also inquired with a place about rebuilding it. I'll see what I can dig up after work.
Awesome as I think I have 1 used spare just in case but these things are scarce
Old 10-10-2023, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I bought my rebuild from Hawks, PN 9802LS1ABS. I could not locate my notes on the EBCM repair service I was considering. Upon searching, I was getting a code, it wasn't leaking.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ndicators.html
Old 10-10-2023, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

yea the electronics are fine its just the actual mechanicals that are the problem. this is a concern if I want to keep autocrossing the car
Old 10-10-2023, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Convert to the MK60 😉 and once you figure it all out, let me know 😁
Old 10-10-2023, 09:22 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by kookamunga
I really hate to get rid of a car because this pump cant be serviced. it would mean all of the TCS cars would end up with this problem eventually
This is going on with all of the discontinued parts for the car. They go off the GM catalog and are then scarce for a very long time until demand creates a market for a 3rd party company to pick up production. In the case of these ABS pumps, I think its going to be a long time before people are servicing them in great numbers or making new ones. With the current availability of quality used parts, there isn't a market yet.
Old 10-11-2023, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

While it is unlikely there will be a 4th gen fbody ABS pump repair service I always imagined there were business out there who serviced ABS pumps in general
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Any updates, either on the UK rebuilder or any US based rebuilders that surfaced? My 4 channel just started leaking from a plug on the side. Sad news is that it’s almost ready for final dyno pulls.
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pbarby
Any updates, either on the UK rebuilder or any US based rebuilders that surfaced? My 4 channel just started leaking from a plug on the side. Sad news is that it’s almost ready for final dyno pulls.
none yet,
started looking at just buying up used ones since no one appears to repair the hydraulics anymore and GM discontinued the part.
Really regretting ordering the car with TCS back in 99
The following users liked this post:
Pbarby (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I’m thinking the same but the way mine went out was immediate, no warning at all. Rear brakes still worked but I’d hate to get a used one and question the reliability every time I move my foot over to the brake pedal.

It’s a strictly dry-summer-day twin turbo street mid-life crisis car. I don’t think I’ve ever felt the abs kick in(pulse). I think a delete is justified until (if) more reliable abs units or reliable rebuild is available.

but, considering the severity of the major safety issue, I’m also surprised I don’t hear (see) much more noise about this issue on this forum; makes me think maybe only a batch of the units were bad(?). Also makes me want to force GM into a recall (Lol).

Quick Reply: ABS pump rebuild