General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering fluid always nasty

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 480 Likes on 347 Posts

Default Power steering fluid always nasty

I do the reservoir flush every year by myself to save some money and trips to the shops. I've had no power steering issues for over 20 years so apparently this 'el cheapo' maintenance works OK but it sure gets nasty over the course of a year. I realize I am always mixing in the new with the old but it never seems to get clear or even light colored. I finally took a photo of the old compared to the new I put in. Yeah, I guess I should have the whole system flushed professionally but I've gone this long so I'll probably keep doing the same routine until it breaks or starts leaking. I use the good old turkey baster method. A strange tool in the tool cabinet.

Turkey baster in reservoir

The new vs the old nasty stuff after just 1 year
The following users liked this post:
Treburkulosis (05-12-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 233 Likes on 190 Posts

A flush is as easy as capping the return nipple on the reservoir and routing the return hose to a bucket

you are using synthetic fluid ?
Old 05-12-2024, 02:01 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,146 Posts

I do the turkey baster method for this as well, but I only do that every two years. However, two years time only equals about 500-600 miles for me, so it's never had a chance to get that dark. What I take out is usually about the color of the new fluid that you've shown above (golden/light brown color). The new fluid that I put in is always clear/colorless (I use AC Delco PS fluid).
NC01TA (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 02:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 136 Likes on 99 Posts

I have been using AW32 Hydraulic fluid, same as goes in my snow plow pumps, and tractor hydraulics.... ( Is that a bad idea ?)
Old 05-12-2024, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
A flush is as easy as capping the return nipple on the reservoir and routing the return hose to a bucket

you are using synthetic fluid ?
That's already getting beyond my basic abilities. I do this, oil changes, detailing, and that's about it. I use the Prestone or Fram type name brands, not synthetic.
Maybe the next time the T/A is in the shop for something, I'll ask what they charge for a full flush to start over again.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 337 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
Yea, Just cap the return nipple, put the return hose in a jug, fill the reservoir with clean fluid, and then turn the wheels lock-to-lock with the engine off. This will pump the fluid through the system manually at a reasonable pace. Keep the reservoir filled so no air gets in. When the return line gives clean fluid, you are perfectly flushed - much better than a "pro" would do. (They will cut corners or use a machine that doesn't get everything out.)
Old 05-12-2024, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Are all the rubber hoses original? The times I've replaced leaking PS hoses on my trucks of similar age (late GMT 400 & early GMT 800) the instructions (I actually read them, LoL) say to replace all of them because they deteriorate on the inside and you don't know it since the outside looks good. Also the stuff that deteriorates gets passes through the pump and will eventually shorten the life of it.

I honestly admit I should be flushing the PS fluid myself on my vehicles, but I don't. I think this is going to motivate myself to do it now.

Thanks for the thread! 👍
NC01TA (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by strutaeng
Are all the rubber hoses original? The times I've replaced leaking PS hoses on my trucks of similar age (late GMT 400 & early GMT 800) the instructions (I actually read them, LoL) say to replace all of them because they deteriorate on the inside and you don't know it since the outside looks good. Also the stuff that deteriorates gets passes through the pump and will eventually shorten the life of it.

I honestly admit I should be flushing the PS fluid myself on my vehicles, but I don't. I think this is going to motivate myself to do it now.

Thanks for the thread! 👍
You are welcome! I have not replaced any item regarding the power steering system. Just my 'el cheapo' maintenance schedule. 84,800 miles as I write this.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yea, Just cap the return nipple, put the return hose in a jug, fill the reservoir with clean fluid, and then turn the wheels lock-to-lock with the engine off. This will pump the fluid through the system manually at a reasonable pace. Keep the reservoir filled so no air gets in. When the return line gives clean fluid, you are perfectly flushed - much better than a "pro" would do. (They will cut corners or use a machine that doesn't get everything out.)
I tried this . What nobody says is it comes out with extreme force. Better have the line securely in the return jug. Also with force comes speed. Its comes out really fast so be ready to put new stuff in really quick or the reservoir will run dry, as in my case.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly
I tried this . What nobody says is it comes out with extreme force. Better have the line securely in the return jug. Also with force comes speed. Its comes out really fast so be ready to put new stuff in really quick or the reservoir will run dry, as in my case.
I sure hope you're doing this with the engine NOT running.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 337 Likes on 309 Posts

Yea, the first time I did this I had the engine running. It's do-able but it really does move fast and with force.

One has to turn lock-to-lock to distribute the fluid and get the air out anyway. I didn't realize that first time that doing so manually pumps the fluid. No need to run the engine!!!
Old 05-14-2024, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

i have an original power steering pump and rack but not the lines, i did stainless braided an lines and haven't changed fluid in i dont know how long . mine stays clean , i think you need to replace your lines at this point .
Old 05-14-2024, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Second on the turkey baster method. What @sjsingle1 and @wssix99 are suggesting sounds fast and thorough. I have the handheld vacuum pump thing to draw air out as well. @NC01TA are you still on the original steering rack, and pump? Do you have the stock PS cooler also?
Old 05-14-2024, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Replaced the stock PS lines on my 01 last winter. Had a leak and the all the hoses were pretty shot at that point, think I was around 88k miles. Think you would benefit from new lines before you start to leak like I did. I also put on a Turn One PS pump but that was overkill.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Second on the turkey baster method. What @sjsingle1 and @wssix99 are suggesting sounds fast and thorough. I have the handheld vacuum pump thing to draw air out as well. @NC01TA are you still on the original steering rack, and pump? Do you have the stock PS cooler also?
Everything is original. Nothing replaced. No cooler.

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid always nasty