Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily driving a 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Daily driving a 4th gen

I wanna hear your stories of daily driving.
I'm on the fence of selling mine for a new Camaro, mustang or charger. Obviously our cars don't compare to new car technology given they're 22+ years old. Reliability may become a concern seeing the road every day but then compare it to cost of a new car. Surprisingly they feel practical.

My '01 Z28 isn't perfect, has rock chips, scratches, dents, rattles, etc like any other old car but doesn't disappoint in fun. I guess I'm just sentimental and struggling with the idea of letting it go. As of right now she sits at 53k miles on body/T56 and 4k miles on LS3/S60. So definitely lots of life left.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Sunset01Z; 05-20-2024 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 193 Likes on 149 Posts

I drive a 17 year old car daily. I'm sure it would be fine, no less reliable than anything else. It's different than cars from earlier eras. Is the LS3 stock?

It's really about what you want to drive daily. Any older car will feel much less polished than modern vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
Sunset01Z (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 09:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset01Z
Obviously our cars don't compare to new car technology given they're 22+ years old.​​​​​​
Thank God! That's the only reason I've kept mine so long.

But reliability is going to be an issue with anything old until/unless you've literally replaced everything. The new cars of today will have that same problem tomorrow, etc.

I'd still be daily driving a 4th gen if winters here hadn't eaten mine up. I don't want to sacrifice my last remaining nice 4th gen to a Chicago winter, so it has never, and will never, see that type of driving. But if I lived in a nicer climate, I never would have stopped daily driving them. New performance cars are faster, but that's really the only thing that I like better about them (and power can always be added to a 4th gen). Styling, driving position/visibility, simplicity, etc., is all superior on a 4th gen IMO.

Sunset01Z (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
I drive a 17 year old car daily. I'm sure it would be fine, no less reliable than anything else. It's different than cars from earlier eras. Is the LS3 stock?

It's really about what you want to drive daily. Any older car will feel much less polished than modern vehicles.
Very true, interior especially feels dated. I drive about 20k mile a year. Recently I sold my daily '14 Honda Accord after some issues and am left with my 4th gen. Was once a play car but now a daily.

My LS3 has cam, springs and lifters, all bolt ons. 460 HP at the wheel. Under 3k rpm it doesn't feel as alive given its cam (229/240 - .646"/.629" -111+3). 3.73 gears help. With it's current tune she bucks and surges at low speed so that's always fun for traffic lol 😬

​​​​​​
Old 05-20-2024, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 193 Likes on 149 Posts

Very true, interior especially feels dated. I drive about 20k mile a year. Recently I sold my daily '14 Honda Accord after some issues and am left with my 4th gen. Was once a play car but now a daily.

My LS3 has cam, springs and lifters, all bolt ons. 460 HP at the wheel. Under 3k rpm it doesn't feel as alive given its cam (229/240 - .646"/.629" -111+3). 3.73 gears help. With it's current tune she bucks and surges at low speed so that's always fun for traffic lol 😬

​​​​​​
The after market valve train might be my only concern with daily driving it. Aside from the surging you mentioned, unless things have changed in the last decade or so, the aftermarket is concerned with assisting power while be durable enough - with conditions. OEMs builds their valve trains for daily drivability, and so starting them in the dead cold, and rolling off to work is usually fine.

Like ​​​​​@RPM WS6 said, aside from the wear and tear, I wouldn't think twice about daily driving mine. It's actually very comfortable.

Last edited by lees02WS6; 05-20-2024 at 10:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lees02WS6:
Nathan C (05-21-2024), Sunset01Z (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Thank God! That's the only reason I've kept mine so long.

But reliability is going to be an issue with anything old until/unless you've literally replaced everything. The new cars of today will have that same problem tomorrow, etc.

I'd still be daily driving a 4th gen if winters here hadn't eaten mine up. I don't want to sacrifice my last remaining nice 4th gen to a Chicago winter, so it has never, and will never, see that type of driving. But if I lived in a nicer climate, I never would have stopped daily driving them. New performance cars are faster, but that's really the only thing that I like better about them (and power can always be added to a 4th gen). Styling, driving position/visibility, simplicity, etc., is all superior on a 4th gen IMO.
Well said. I'm in Missouri so never know the weather but generally warmer. I drive to STL every day but the car still takes it. Only thing stock is front suspension/ k-member (full tubular would be a PITA install). Then again with so many mods anything could go wrong even if you don't run it hard constantly.

​​​​​​Im doing 100+ miles a day. Never real issues (besides 19mpg lol).

​​​​

​​​​​

Last edited by Sunset01Z; 05-20-2024 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
The after market valve train might be my only concern with daily driving it. Aside from the surging you mentioned, unless things have changed in the last decade or so, the aftermarket is concerned with assisting power while be durable enough - with conditions. OEMs builds their valve trains for daily drivability, and so starting them in the dead cold, and rolling off to work is usually fine.

Like ​​​​​@RPM WS6 said, aside from the wear and tear, I wouldn't think twice about daily driving mine. It's actually very comfortable.
​​​​​Yes low end surging is a slight issue in mine as well as RPMs wanting to drop with clutch in at a stop. Some research and found this can be common with a bad tune.

My valve train should be reliable but you never know. Cam motion custom grind, Johnson short travel linked lifters, Manton pushrods, PAC springs. (LS3 was new GM crate and immediately pulled apart..warranty gone)

Seriously though I really like my 4th despite the shortcomings and that's why I've decided to keep it for now.

Nathan C (05-29-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 12:01 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I've been daily driving mine for 20 years and while a 6th gen with a 10 speed auto has a lot of appeal, the cost of purchasing and owning one along with the cramped interior and poor visibility makes it too much of a stretch.

My Formula with 210k is dead reliable, is as fast as I need, has a solid suspension, A/C is cold and heat is hot, paint is good and driver's seat is comfy ... I can open the hatch, put down the back seat, and get a bunch of stuff in there. T-tops off and it's as good as a convertible. Sound system is primitive, but I never listen to it anyway. For those who want it, upgrading to contemporary systems with great speakers, bluetooth, rear camera, etc. can be done readily.

The architecture of these cars is simple in a good way - like the GM trucks of the same era - and they just keep running and running.

My only complaint is that the ride is rough, but other than that, I can't see a strong reason NOT to keep DDing my 4th gen. When it would only bring $5-6k, why sell it to spend $40k on newer iron?
The following 2 users liked this post by RevGTO:
Nathan C (05-21-2024), Sunset01Z (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 223 Likes on 197 Posts

In this life one can either make car notes or repairs. Nobody wins. Sometimes payments are easier to make than $1k repairs here and there.
Sunset01Z (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

I have been daily driving a fourth gen Firebird for 25 years, both the v6 and v8. I live in Ohio and wouldn't want to drive anything else.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I've been daily driving mine for 20 years and while a 6th gen with a 10 speed auto has a lot of appeal, the cost of purchasing and owning one along with the cramped interior and poor visibility makes it too much of a stretch.

My Formula with 210k is dead reliable, is as fast as I need, has a solid suspension, A/C is cold and heat is hot, paint is good and driver's seat is comfy ... I can open the hatch, put down the back seat, and get a bunch of stuff in there. T-tops off and it's as good as a convertible. Sound system is primitive, but I never listen to it anyway. For those who want it, upgrading to contemporary systems with great speakers, bluetooth, rear camera, etc. can be done readily.

The architecture of these cars is simple in a good way - like the GM trucks of the same era - and they just keep running and running.

My only complaint is that the ride is rough, but other than that, I can't see a strong reason NOT to keep DDing my 4th gen. When it would only bring $5-6k, why sell it to spend $40k on newer iron?
Keep the old car as a toy and get a newer something to daily drive.
Tommy42088 (05-26-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nathan C
I have been daily driving a fourth gen Firebird for 25 years, both the v6 and v8. I live in Ohio and wouldn't want to drive anything else.
Do you have another vehicle for going out of town and stuff like that? Like are they just to and from work cars or is that your only car?
What sort of daily driver are we talking about?
Old 05-21-2024, 06:01 PM
Launching!

So after little thought I've decided to let her go. Just wanting something newer, less miles and less mods for issues. My biggest mistake was doing upgrades. It has really added no value and makes selling much harder.

Value on these cars are all over the place. With new engine and rear, only getting offers for $13,500 - 15k in my area. Have double that into it. People list them for high teens or 20s but unless it's a WS6 or SS, it's not worth that period.
​​​​​​

I'm at a point I don't want another project or things to go wrong from the mods I've done. Additionally the LS3 I built has some metal in the oil, not a good sign. I'd have to do a rebuild again and I'd be at a loss even more.
Say if it were in an accident I'd get even less and then have to part out. People these days will hardly ever pay posted price on anything.

Getting a '22 S550 GT. As a avid GM guy I love them. I'll prolly miss my 4th though.
Y2K_Frenzy (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Getting a '22 S550 GT. As an avid GM guy I love them. I'll prolly miss my 4th though.
The ten speed autos are a bit quicker than the manuals but the autos have issues with 4th and 5th gear. I believe there might be a TSB on it. It might just be the first few years for the 10 speed that are affected, I’m not sure but it might be something to look into.
Sunset01Z (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
The ten speed autos are a bit quicker than the manuals but the autos have issues with 4th and 5th gear. I believe there might be a TSB on it. It might just be the first few years for the 10 speed that are affected, I’m not sure but it might be something to look into.
Thanks for the heads up I'll look into it.
Y2K_Frenzy (05-21-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Come to think of yearly cost of owning the S550 (or any newer car for this matter) will cost $9300 in property taxes, insurance, and loan ($20k loan/half)

While my 4th costs me $1,900 insurance and taxes.

I've never bought a newer vehicle so I'm shocked by the cost of ownership not including maintenance.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after little thought I've decided to let her go. Just wanting something newer, less miles and less mods for issues. My biggest mistake was doing upgrades. It has really added no value and makes selling much harder.

Value on these cars are all over the place. With new engine and rear, only getting offers for $13,500 - 15k in my area. Have double that into it. People list them for high teens or 20s but unless it's a WS6 or SS, it's not worth that period.
​​​​​​

I'm at a point I don't want another project or things to go wrong from the mods I've done. Additionally the LS3 I built has some metal in the oil, not a good sign. I'd have to do a rebuild again and I'd be at a loss even more.
Say if it were in an accident I'd get even less and then have to part out. People these days will hardly ever pay posted price on anything.

Getting a '22 S550 GT. As a avid GM guy I love them. I'll prolly miss my 4th though.
I got rid of my 02 TA last September to buy a 24 GT. I miss it for sure, but have been enjoying the new S650. Got the A10 and it’s been awesome. Maybe one day I’ll get back into a 4th gen F-body.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Come to think of yearly cost of owning the S550 (or any newer car for this matter) will cost $9300 in property taxes, insurance, and loan ($20k loan/half)

While my 4th costs me $1,900 insurance and taxes.

I've never bought a newer vehicle so I'm shocked by the cost of ownership not including maintenance.
It cost to be the boss homie. But you do get the benefit of not having to make repairs, knock on wood. Here’s what I wouldn’t recommend though. I wouldn’t finance a car for 5 years or whatever if it had 60k+ miles. I’m not sure if I’d do 50k miles. When you’re starting with that high of mileage and you’re daily driving it you’ll be at 100k+ miles in no time. At that point you’ll possibly be looking at making car notes and repairs. A car with a 36k mile or more factory warranty is nothing to sneeze at. Be leery of some if not most “extended warranties.” They’re not really an extension of anything. It’s a new policy that often times doesn’t cover the car “bumper to bumper” like the factory warranty does. Last year when we were shopping for my wife’s ride the vehicle I wanted was out of our price range unless it had something like 40k+ miles. Most were in the 50k mile or more range. So we opted for a different vehicle with 8k miles. It’s a ‘22 that we got in ‘23. It still had the new car smell and a butt-load of warranty left. Another thing is don’t be afraid to shop a 200 mile radius.
Shop slow.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 05-22-2024 at 09:14 PM.
Sunset01Z (05-23-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Too many idiots on the road is reason enough for me to not daily drive mine.
The following 4 users liked this post by 01CamaroSSTx:
JacobChevys (05-26-2024), Sunset01Z (05-23-2024), Treburkulosis (05-23-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Very true, probably better just bank money and find something with lower miles and factory certified warranty. Personally I pass on anything that's right outside of warranty (2020 or older) even with less miles and for a mustang/Camaro still costs 30k.

My 4th end is no beauty car. Rock chips, dents, interior has stains. All of the drivetrain has been replaced with 4k miles on it, literally only thing stock is front suspension a-arms and T56. I think she'll last a while. And since car isn't worth much to begin with I'm not afraid to daily drive it. Trying to sell it has been a nightmare since it's modified.

I still have a '98 Silverado as a back up for winter. Originally I made a decision to sell it now but after realizing added costs and depreciation on new car just can't throw out the cash for now.

​​​​​

Quick Reply: Daily driving a 4th gen