AirMass vs Manifold Pressure : Expertise welcome

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 153 Likes on 113 Posts
Default AirMass vs Manifold Pressure : Expertise welcome

Spark map tuning axis : AirMass : RPM
Fuel Map ( VE Table) Manifold pressure vs RPM
What is the simplest relationship/ rationaization for the tuning parameter discrepancy between FUEL table and SPARK map ?
I guess what I am asking is WHY do we tune Fuel vs kPa, and Spark vs Grams/ second ?
Would it not be convenient to have a scaler or conversion factor that directly relates BOOST pressure with AirAmass, for a particular, specific engine combination ?
Is there an algorithm, or MATH channel I should be looking at in my HPT scanner ?

Tuner Experts, if you have time, and if possible, please explain as if to a young child, of average intelligence.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 528 Likes on 391 Posts

In this case the ve table is not directly a fuel table it’s a volumetric efficiency table which is then applied to airflow calcs and fed into the target afr table for final calcs.
the output of that calculation is an air mass/cyl which is the axis of the spark table.
I guess in the order of operations of calculating engine ****, the spark table is probably closer to the target afr table than the ve table (which feeds into both)
Old 06-25-2024, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

If you aren't measuring airflow, then you need a volumetric efficiency (VE) function in order to calculate the massflow of air into the engine. The VE allows the vehicle to determine what volume of the cylinder is being filled on the intake stroke. The manifold pressure allows you to determine the density of the air that is filling that volume. Combined you can determine the massflow of the engine which is then us to determine g/cyl - the variable needed for the spark look-up.

In short, VE is a precursor variable needed (if you aren' measuring airflow) in order to determine g/cyl.

The following users liked this post:
Full Power (06-26-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I set up a histogram of RPM vs Airmass, with the data recorded being MAP. This at least helps me understand where I actually am when trying to decide on Spark Advance for each cell, since the row of airmass is NOT the same thing as the row of MAP.

Last edited by SkinnyG; 06-26-2024 at 09:16 AM. Reason: too much 60's during the acid
68Formula (06-28-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 12:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 476 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by SkinnyG
I set up a histogram of RPM vs Airmass, with the data recorded being VE. This at least helps me understand where I actually am when trying to decide on Spark Advance for each cell, since the row of airmass is NOT the same thing as the row of MAP.
Just as a curiosity, one of my scanner configs is setup with an rpm vs airmass recording MAP values. It makes it really simple to tell what boost pressure maxes out the spark table at what rpm.
Old 06-26-2024, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh shoot. You're right - that's what I have - MAP. I'll edit my post. Duh.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NoGo

In short, VE is a precursor variable needed (if you aren' measuring airflow) in order to determine g/cyl.
..Brilliant summation, thank you.
Airmass is calculated from RPM,MAP,IAT, and essentially the VE table IS the last variable. Again pointing out the primary importance of a well developed VE table. FIX the VE before screwing with spark, idle, or pretty mych ANYTHING.
VE table is critical..
Another example of why chasing around spark, idle airflow, throttle crackers, fudged injector parameters, and every other driveabilty issue WITHOUT first assuring a 99% + accurate VE is "Tuning with Bandaids"
Thank you again.
68Formula (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 896 Likes on 638 Posts

When I first went 2bar, it threw me off that spark wasn't based off VE.

I maxed out the air mass value pretty quick even at low boost. There wasn't enough resolution, or actual usable areas of the table.

I scaled the tune by 75% and now my max boost(15 psi) is the 1.20 g row of the spark table.

One thing that helped me correlate air mass vs. boost is to create some math channels and histograms so I could actually see it.

Old 06-28-2024, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
When I first went 2bar,..
.I maxed out the air mass value pretty quick even at low boost.

I scaled the tune by 75% and now my max boost(15 psi) is the 1.20 g row of the spark table.

One thing that helped me correlate air mass vs. boost is to create some math channels and histograms so I could actually see it.
So, if I understand "scaling" your 1.2g/sec now corresponds to ACTUAL cyl airmass value of 1.6 g/sec ?
If you have the time/patience: any chance you'd screen shot or show math channel, or your scanner setup ?
I flail around like a tard when trying to get HPT set up.
Adjusting spark map, smoothing VE table, and getting PE ramp-in I find pretty fun, and intuitive.... Setting up the scanner to SHOW me data is where I stall out.
Thank you.

Old 06-28-2024, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hopefully these are what you wanting.
1. Make sure you are logging baro pressure
2. Make a boost math channel. Make sure they are both are logged in psi in the so the math will work correctly.
3. Make a boost v cyl air mass histo. For me, anything above .58 g/cyl is boost pressure. I added a filter in the histo to make reading it easier. If not, it will populate every cell it hits regardless of boost or vaccum.

I don't have a log on this computer, but 15psi hits the 1.20 g/cyl row

If this isn't what you were wanting let me know and I'll try to get it.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 06-28-2024 at 05:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LilJayV10:
68Formula (06-28-2024), Full Power (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank You a LOT.
Bunch of data for me to absorb, and apply to my scan fields.
Side note/ question :
Do you or have you ever adjusted MAP offset to correct or align scanner to actual ambient atmospheric pressure ?
Old 06-28-2024, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not with a stock PCM. I've had to on a few cars I've tuned with Holley EFI before that I've had to offset just a little bit.

The barometric reading comes from the MAP sensor when you turn the key on.

As long as the correct MAP sensor data is in the tune, it will adjust for any elevation changes.

KOEO, Baro and MAP should be the same.

Quick Reply: AirMass vs Manifold Pressure : Expertise welcome