Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this clean enough for an MLS gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2024, 05:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this clean enough for an MLS gasket

I am having to helicoil a spark plug thread due to the dingo that previously owned my c5. Anyway I started cleaning the head surface with plastic razor blades and brake clean and this is where I am so far. I know I still should clean it a bit more but I want to get an idea of how smooth and clean it needs to be because it feels fairly smooth right now. I haven't done a head gasket before, this is an original MLS gasket car and I will be putting an oem MLS gasket on it when reinstalling the head.

Old 07-15-2024, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 712 Likes on 498 Posts

Looks largely adequate to me.

WD-40 might get a bit more of the coolant residue off.
The following users liked this post:
DiyDoIDoThisc5 (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Looks largely adequate to me.

WD-40 might get a bit more of the coolant residue off.
I will try out wd40 and report back!
Old 07-16-2024, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DiyDoIDoThisc5
I am having to helicoil a spark plug thread due to the dingo that previously owned my c5. Anyway I started cleaning the head surface with plastic razor blades and brake clean and this is where I am so far. I know I still should clean it a bit more but I want to get an idea of how smooth and clean it needs to be because it feels fairly smooth right now. I haven't done a head gasket before, this is an original MLS gasket car and I will be putting an oem MLS gasket on it when reinstalling the head.
Spoiler!

I am just posting so I can keep track of this thread.

Last edited by NathanWhite; 07-25-2024 at 11:59 PM.
DiyDoIDoThisc5 (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 165 Likes on 115 Posts

I’ve seen worse that sealed, and better that didn’t. I’d shoot for a cleaner surface as that’s always a best practice, and copper coat the gasket too.
The following 2 users liked this post by bthomas:
DiyDoIDoThisc5 (07-16-2024), G Atsma (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bthomas
I’ve seen worse that sealed, and better that didn’t. I’d shoot for a cleaner surface as that’s always a best practice, and copper coat the gasket too.
I've heard of some people using the copper but some have also advised against it. I'll probably just Reinstall dry and if it leaks go from there.
Old 07-16-2024, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 478 Likes on 278 Posts

I was advised by Tony Mamo to clean up my block surface with 200 grit sandpaper on a large sanding block, and WD40. Looked much better than that, no sealing problems.
DiyDoIDoThisc5 (07-17-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 712 Likes on 498 Posts

Personally I prefer not to use the copper stuff. Those gaskets already come with a coating that does the same thing. It probably doesn't hurt but I think it doesn't really add much either.
The following 3 users liked this post by RB04Av:
01CamaroSSTx (07-16-2024), DiyDoIDoThisc5 (07-17-2024), Kfxguy (07-20-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,399 Posts

I've done it both ways with MLS gaskets with no leaks but if a light copper spray is good enough for the pro's then it's good enough for me.
DiyDoIDoThisc5 (07-17-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 09:29 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,658 Likes on 2,234 Posts

Originally Posted by grubinski
I was advised by Tony Mamo to clean up my block surface with 200 grit sandpaper on a large sanding block, and WD40. Looked much better than that, no sealing problems.
I’ve done this on sloppy turbo builds with zero issues at 20psi. It works well. Go in a criss-cross pattern.
The following 2 users liked this post by Che70velle:
1FastBrick (07-18-2024), DiyDoIDoThisc5 (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 08:08 AM
Teching In

the only thing that freaks me out about the sand paper even with the wd40 is the aluminum oxide that can and will work it's way to bearings and ruin a motor, I'd prefer to try it without the sand paper first time around. If I was completely disassembling the block and could clean out every surface than sure but I don't like it personally.
Old 07-17-2024, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DiyDoIDoThisc5
the only thing that freaks me out about the sand paper even with the wd40 is the aluminum oxide that can and will work it's way to bearings and ruin a motor, I'd prefer to try it without the sand paper first time around. If I was completely disassembling the block and could clean out every surface than sure but I don't like it personally.
Mine was on an engine stand ... so I could rotate it so that nothing ran into the cylinders. If yours is in the car, I completely understand.
The following 2 users liked this post by grubinski:
Che70velle (07-17-2024), DiyDoIDoThisc5 (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Try red scotch bright soaked with either red brake kleen or laquer thinner
Old 07-17-2024, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 441 Likes on 166 Posts

240 - 320 wet dry paper......WD 40 as a lubricant.....Diagonal strokes in opposite directions and it leaves the perfect finish

😎👍

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
1FastBrick (07-18-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
240 - 320 wet dry paper......WD 40 as a lubricant.....Diagonal strokes in opposite directions and it leaves the perfect finish

😎👍
Apparently, I’m getting too old to go from memory on stuff I don’t do every day. ☹️
Old 07-18-2024, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 608 Likes on 481 Posts

On an engine still in the car, I wouldn't use sandpaper OR scotchbrite. Hell, not even on the stand either. I literally just cleaned a block for my fab guy, and I sprayed the surface down with CRC gasket clean, waited 10 minutes, then used a plastic scraper to scrape 90% of the residue away. Applied another coat and side bladed the block surface with a steel razor blade ( basically, scraping with it held 90 degrees to the surface ). This removed the very fine layer of residue that was left, which I believe is the coating from the factory MLS gasket. The whole process of deck cleaning takes a long time, however. I think I was working at it for at least 2 hours. I inadvertently figured out that the CRC stuff removes carbon from piston tops amazingly well. It basically wipes off after an application.
DiyDoIDoThisc5 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
On an engine still in the car, I wouldn't use sandpaper OR scotchbrite. Hell, not even on the stand either. I literally just cleaned a block for my fab guy, and I sprayed the surface down with CRC gasket clean, waited 10 minutes, then used a plastic scraper to scrape 90% of the residue away. Applied another coat and side bladed the block surface with a steel razor blade ( basically, scraping with it held 90 degrees to the surface ). This removed the very fine layer of residue that was left, which I believe is the coating from the factory MLS gasket. The whole process of deck cleaning takes a long time, however. I think I was working at it for at least 2 hours. I inadvertently figured out that the CRC stuff removes carbon from piston tops amazingly well. It basically wipes off after an application.
I've got the permitex gasket cleaner bet it'll do the same thing. And if not I'll grab some crc, I've got a layer of wd40 on the surface that has been soaking for about a day now. If that doesn't remove enough I'll give the gasket remover a try and the 90 degree razorblade
Old 07-18-2024, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Did the surface you cleaned look much cleaner. After some more work the head feels completely smooth. But it still looks fairly similar to the initial pictures I posted?
Old 07-19-2024, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 608 Likes on 481 Posts

This is a crappy pic of what it looked like after cleaning. No, the deck surface didn't look much different after blading it, but there was definitely a lot of residue that came off. You'll never get it looking like it was freshly machined, but if you remove the residue it should be ready for assembly.

Old 07-19-2024, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

i didnt think id have to say it but obviously every where you dont want particles getting into needs to be taped off. Scotch bright works very well and doesnt remove material like sandpaper will. for the initial cleaning(s) gasket remover works well. As you have experienced cleaning the block and heads is time consuming. the right process helps reduce the time it takes, leaves a better finish and most importantly wont scratch or damage the deck or head surfaces

Quick Reply: Is this clean enough for an MLS gasket