Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Using Patriot Gold springs on Gen 1 SBC

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Patriot Gold springs on Gen 1 SBC

I've heard this is being done?

Currently running Isky 1.430" 6105's on my 385ci Gen 1 boat engine. Shimmed to 1.750" IH Avg @ 142-145lbs seat when new. After 226hrs run time they are down to 134-138psi. 10* locks and steel retainers.

I am going to replace them but would be interested in using the Patriot Gold LSX series springs to get some mass off the valvetrain. Smaller 1.290" spring, titanium retainers, super 7 locks but have the same seat pressures.

Would this work using my current Gen 1 valves?
Heads are AFR 190 with 2.02I 1.60E Manley stainless 24-n valves.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 12-06-2008, 04:04 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The GEN I valves are much bigger than the smaller LSx valves, so you might just need to look into the bee hive kit from comp, it does the same thing and is made for your application.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
The GEN I valves are much bigger than the smaller LSx valves, so you might just need to look into the bee hive kit from comp, it does the same thing and is made for your application.

Thanks for the reply. I do realize that my valves are larger than the LSX 8mm valves. I've never been a fan of C918's or single springs for that matter. Especially in this marine application I will push them to their limits more than a car engine ever would. We hold em WOT 6000rpms for a long time when racing. I need a good dual spring for insurance.

I heard it mentioned by CStraub on here of the conversion and was wondering what parts were needed?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 03:52 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Well, i am sure it is the same thing i am looking for, it is a different lock and retainer, i want to do the same thing for the GEN I heads like use the stock LS1 springs with the SBC, but i am having hell finding a conversion/adaptable kit.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

they will work.

You will need the Patriot 8501-BSBC kit (11/32 valve locks and .560 seals).

If your guides are .560, just plug and ply. If they are .530 or .500, you will need some small OD seals to fit your guide and have plenty of clearance between the ID of inner spring and seal.

Set them up at 1.780" and you'll be fine.

It is common for any spring to lose a lil pressure in the first hundred miles and then maintain that pressure for a long time (if spring is used with correct cam and valve trane).

I would set them up 5-10 lbs heavier than you want them to be at so they will be at correct pressure after a few hundred miles.

Lloyd
Old 12-07-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Guys that's just what I wanted to hear! I'll be getting in touch with Patriot tomorrow. Mods should make this a sticky as this is the way the performance industry will be moving, away from older bigger springs to smaller, lighter with better harmonics.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:17 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Excellent, Lloyd, do you happen to know if there is a lock and retainer kit that will work for the stockers? Or is it the same?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

all the parts in that kit will work with a SB Chevy (or LT1) head with 11/32 stedm and a .560 guide.

Worse comes to worse, you woiuld just need to machine the guide down to .560 if using some stock GM heads and wanna use the locator. The locator is a MUST on alu. heads but a cast iron head will not have to have it. You will need to make sure there is enough room for the inner spring to not hit the guide on some heads with FAT guide bosses. You also wanna check for retainer to seal clearance depending on your lift and use a small OD seal to clear the inner spring.

They have all the parts you need to make them work, you might just need to do some machining on the heads to make it fit. Any machine shop can handle the job, just let themk know what seat and open pressure you want and then what lift you will use.

Lloyd
Old 02-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Teching In

i hate to thread jack, but this thread came up on my google search.

i recently purchased a set of Patriot Gold Dual Valve Springs off of ebay. i just purchased the springs themselves, and i'm looking for the other parts and accessories that i'll need for installation. (retainers, locks, bases, valve seals)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170301437635

my question is....to make SURE: will these springs work on my LT1? also, is there a kit (minus the springs) that i can purchase for installation?

thanks
Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 96TranZAM
i hate to thread jack, but this thread came up on my google search.

i recently purchased a set of Patriot Gold Dual Valve Springs off of ebay. i just purchased the springs themselves, and i'm looking for the other parts and accessories that i'll need for installation. (retainers, locks, bases, valve seals)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170301437635

my question is....to make SURE: will these springs work on my LT1? also, is there a kit (minus the springs) that i can purchase for installation?

thanks
The springs will work just fine, you will need to get all the hardware for the SBC heads.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Teching In

thank you for the response! do i need to use titanium retainers like the ones that come with the spring kit, or will steel retainers work fine?

also, is there any way i can get you to tell me part #'s? i just want to make sure i'm ordering the right parts.

Quick Reply: Using Patriot Gold springs on Gen 1 SBC